DVDVR Message Board

Labor Day Raw (2 September Raw for everyone else)

Dolfan in NYC

So someone explain to me what the point was of having Bryan be largely ineffectual against a not-fighting-back-yet Show, then have Show leave Bryan laying cleanly in the middle of the ring for the Shield to jump, followed by ages of weeping Big Show? I mean, as impressive as the crowd going mild for Orton's entrance into the ring was, (was that a boring chant?) I'm really failing to see how this leads to the big payoff.

Who got over there? Who's going to buy Night of Champions tonight? Let's hear from all those folks who've been saying how brilliant this angle's been.

It's generally a dick move to quote yourself, but I think this got lost. I'm not expecting the payoff tonight. I'm expecting some signs that there will be a payoff, with some progression along those lines. If anything, this angle's going backwards.

So that ending was just mental, right?  Like if anyone who wasn't following closely tuned into the last 15 minutes, that must have seemed like the most bizarre sequence of events and character reactions.

This angle is being booked according to the Werner Herzog school of philosophical ecstasy (yes, I watched the TCM show about FRITZCARRALDO tonight)...Like, I could hear his voice:

"The giant has made the mistake of claiming humanity in the natural world, a world made up of only fornication and asphyxiation.  His folly is to believe in the fairy tale of morality that we learn as children so that our parents might sleep at night without fear that we will kill them.  The small bearded man has embraced the pain and the chaos that is the order of the world.  He will thrive and breathe deeply until his slaughter which will happen soon.  Which will suffer more?  Undoubtedly the giant."

You are A-#1 and the best piranesi. 

I caught the end. Cody promo was fantastic, then they had the super squash. I thought Orton was gonna prop him up for an RKO actually. Folks really need to be patient, I have no idea why this would make you stop watching entirely.

Really, the only two people this whole angle are getting over are Triple H and Show.  

Mark it, buyrates for NoC will be shit, and they'll blame Bryan as a weak challenger and back to the midcard with him, and its Show-Trip and the title in a holding pattern til Cena comes back.

You honestly think another month or two of the heels getting everything and the babyfaces looking like pussies is good for BUSINESS (the 55th reference to that word tonight)? Oh but we are going to get a Survivor Series match.  WOOO HOOOO

the only reason to watch Night of Champions is too see Punk vs Axel & Heyman right now. Yes right now a Curtis Axel match is the saving grace on this PPV. 

How is Bryan supposed to overcome these odds right now? Nobody can help him or they are fired. Why would Bryan get anything over a half-dozen guys? Rhodes will be back to help. Add Ziggler and Big Show. Give it time to build. Amazing. Three weeks. Wait for a PPV or two. If it is like this in the middle of October, you can complain.

Did you guys hear Bryan's reaction when he came out tonight and interrupted Triple H's promo?  Did you hear the reaction when he came out on Smackdown with the chair?  Did you hear the reaction when he kept attacking Big Show as Big Show cried?  Did you hear the crowd chant "You sold out!" at the Big Show?  So, how is Bryan being buried?  Every time he gets beat down, he becomes a bigger and bigger star.  I think he's getting even bigger reactions now than he did pre-Summerslam.  Bryan is teflon.  It's not like Fandango is one-punching him unconscious: he's getting beaten by three guys at once/the biggest guy on the roster/the world champion, and it's never clean one-on-one.

• Like 12

So that ending was just mental, right?  Like if anyone who wasn't following closely tuned into the last 15 minutes, that must have seemed like the most bizarre sequence of events and character reactions.

This angle is being booked according to the Werner Herzog school of philosophical ecstasy (yes, I watched the TCM show about FRITZCARRALDO tonight)...Like, I could hear his voice:

"The giant has made the mistake of claiming humanity in the natural world, a world made up of only fornication and asphyxiation.  His folly is to believe in the fairy tale of morality that we learn as children so that our parents might sleep at night without fear that we will kill them.  The small bearded man has embraced the pain and the chaos that is the order of the world.  He will thrive and breathe deeply until his slaughter which will happen soon.  Which will suffer more?  Undoubtedly the giant."

You are A-#1 and the best piranesi. 

I caught the end. Cody promo was fantastic, then they had the super squash. I thought Orton was gonna prop him up for an RKO actually. Folks really need to be patient, I have no idea why this would make you stop watching entirely.

It won't.

Did you guys hear Bryan's reaction when he came out tonight and interrupted Triple H's promo?  Did you hear the reaction when he came out on Smackdown with the chair?  Did you hear the reaction when he kept attacking Big Show as Big Show cried?  Did you hear the crowd chant "You sold out!" at the Big Show?

And did you hear that every chant got progressively quieter until at the end when Orton posed over Bryan, the crowd was half-dead?

Bryan has all the sympathy in the world, it's going to hurt him if they go too long. Show crying makes him eclipses Bryan as the star babyface  though. I was thinking Show would join Hunter & co. but that would be stupid.

The 3mb vs ptp tag match was great everyone went all out Young has been the better worker of the two but Titus looks like a star. He looked like he was going to knock HHH's block off last week while he was on the stage.

Loved the promo by Rhodes, I been digging him more than most people here,  I see him joinning team  RKHHHO but he's is over as a face.

Did you guys hear Bryan's reaction when he came out tonight and interrupted Triple H's promo?  Did you hear the reaction when he came out on Smackdown with the chair?  Did you hear the reaction when he kept attacking Big Show as Big Show cried?  Did you hear the crowd chant "You sold out!" at the Big Show?

And did you hear that every chant got progressively quieter until at the end when Orton posed over Bryan, the crowd was half-dead?

Because they dragged it out too much for the live crowd but that's probably a minor detail in comparison to the overall storyline.

I actually dug the show quite a bit. The stuff with Rhodes, Ziggler, and Big Show tonight was great and did well in setting up an eventual group to take on this new Corporation. I actually do think Daniel should be giving more a of fight though. That is one problem I have with it. The payoff shouldn't come too soon, but you need to at least make it look like Bryan can give something of a fight.

3 weeks in this era of wrestlingvis like 4 months in 1992.

This is important and relevant beyond just the scope of this angle.  It's one of the reasons why it drives me nuts when people talk about fresh matchups as if it is anywhere near as easy to protect guys now as it was then.  That's not an excuse for how piss poor of a job they often do, but you get the point.

Anyway, in no way am I arguing Bryan was "buried."  The guy is still over as fuck.  I"m just saying that last segment sucked shit and in my case cost them a ppv buy.  I will gladly steal the show like normal now

Yeah, Daniel Bryan is pretty much buried. I don't see him winning at Night of Champions. Gotta love HHH and his hogging the spotlight even when he's not wrestling.

Of course he doesn't win at NOC.  Why would he?  It would be like opening a movie with Batman in trouble, then twenty minutes later, he's the winner. 

I really think, at this point, the WM main event will be Bryan/Orton and Cena/Undertaker (or Lesnar or something), so settle in for the long haul, or start watching TNA where angles are hotshot every week.

Wrestling smarks have to have the shortest amounts of patience of any fans ever: "Come on, this has been going on for two weeks now!  Where's the payoff!?"  Seriously, people, two weeks.  That's it.  The Triple H turn was on August 17th, today is September 2nd.  Also, I seriously doubt we're going to get anyone standing up to the new corporation on Raw, it's probably going to come on a PPV.  You want your big pop/big moment, you've gotta pay for it.

It's not about patience in my case, it's just that this sucks cock.  I mean I get what they are trying to do (I think?), but Bryan being held still by Reigns for what felt like ten minutes, while Big Show blubbered around, and the whole roster just watching again....I mean....I don't see anyway that segment was good.  And I really want to because Show, Bryan, The Shield are some of my absolute favorites

It was completely compelling TV.  Big Show having to sell his soul to the Corporation (It's what I'll call them until they come up with a name), or get fired and punch out the most popular guy on the roster.  Bryan having literally no allies.  If I was a kid (Who, once again, are the prime audience), I'd be so ticked off at what they were doing to Bryan that I'd be tuning in to each and every show to watch Bryan get his revenge and Show finally find his balls.  This is your basic superhero booking: superhero loses his allies and is repeatedly beaten down until there is almost no hope, then starts to fight his way back.

I'm honestly baffled at the responses this storyline is generating.  I have to chalk it up to Triple H's involvement and everyone suspecting what he's doing is burying Daniel Bryan like he's supposedly done in the past to others.  Otherwise, I'm honestly puzzled.

• Like 4

I'm not so upset about Bryan as I'm about EVERYONE ELSE looking like the absolute biggest pieces of selfish pieces of shit ever. When they eventually help Bryan, who cares...it'll be like "Where the fuck were you guys before?"

Why should they get fired for Daniel Bryan?  What's he ever done for anyone except Kane?

• Like 1

It has been THREE WEEKS. Jesus Christ. Three shows. Having some patience. This is going to go on for a few months. It will be fine.

It's been several years, actually. Several years of start-stop pushes. FFS, Does nobody remember the last time HHH inserted himself into somebody's hot angle? Remember how that ended?

Whereas the heel beatdowns are one thing, but if Bryan is supposed to be the A-number-one babyface until Cena's return, what in hell was the point of making him look so incredibly weak against Show?

Well there wouldn't be a lot of suspense in a future Bryan-Show match-up if Bryan beat him up, would there?!

And of course nobody was chanting for Bryan at the end of the show, he was (kayfabe) unconscious.  That would be like chanting "Let's go Lakers" when they're down by 30.

• Like 1

I'm not so upset about Bryan as I'm about EVERYONE ELSE looking like the absolute biggest pieces of selfish pieces of shit ever. When they eventually help Bryan, who cares...it'll be like "Where the fuck were you guys before?"

Why should they get fired for Daniel Bryan?  What's he ever done for anyone except Kane?

Like I said...selfish. Really makes me want to cheer for them. Yes sirree. 

Well, I guess they set things in motion to allow Cody to be the first to help Bryan since he's fired now.  The place would have went wild if Cody had came in with a chair and saved Bryan tonight though.  This was his night.  Oh well.  It still should get a nice reaction when it goes down.

They got something in Titus O'Neil.  Don't know if they'll ever get serious with him, but it's difficult to be a face in WWE right now.  Especially a midcard face with next to no mic time, yet he has an unique charisma and keeps the crowd engaged.  I hope he gets a Batista/DDP type of push in the future.

I know Kane is off doing a movie or something and someone said this already, but Big Show's current role would make more sense with Kane.  Well if you leave out the "you're old and broke" part, which may have been added to appease the "IRONCLAD CONTRACT" people.  Hilarious.

Edited by _MJ_
  • Like 1