DVDVR Message Board

Smackdown Spoilers for 3/17/16

victor

Main Event Spoilers:

The Lucha Dragons defeated The Ascension

* Paige defeated Summer Rae. Lana was at ringside and laid Paige out after the match

* Sami Zayn defeated Stardust in a long match like they had at Roadblock

Smackdown Spoilers:

Roman Reigns opens SmackDown with an in-ring promo. More cheers than boos to start. Reigns talks about destroying Triple H on RAW and taking the WWE World Heavyweight Title at WrestleMania 32.

* Dolph Ziggler defeated The Miz in a good back and forth match.

* Backstage segment with AJ Styles and Kevin Owens to set up their match later on.

* We get a promo on the big screen with Dean Ambrose out in the city. He gets a big hometown pop.

* Bubba Ray Dudley defeated Goldust. D-Von joined in for a post-match beatdown until R-Truth made the save. The Usos also got involved and cleared the ring.

* Michael Cole interviews Kalisto earlier in the day and he accepts Ryback's challenge for WrestleMania 32.

* The "Face To Face To Face" starts off with Ric Flair and WWE Divas Champion Charlotte in the ring cutting a promo. Charlotte brings Becky Lynch out first and Becky guarantees she will take the title. Sasha Banks is out next and a fight breaks out after some back & forth. Sasha and Becky try to team up on Charlotte but she escapes.

* WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day come to the ring and cut promos on The League of Nations. They have accepted the challenge for WrestleMania 32 and it looks like everyone will be involved.

* Kofi Kingston defeated King Barrett. Both teams brawl at ringside and The League gets the upperhand but Barrett takes the loss.

* Dean Ambrose is shown at a bar celebrating St. Patrick's Day.

* The Social Outcasts come to the ring and hold the show up until Ambrose arrives from his night of partying. Ambrose destroys them all and clears the ring with a kendo stick. Ambrose cut a promo on Brock Lesnar's SmackDown return next week in Boston, saying he will see him there.

* AJ Styles vs. WWE Intercontinental Champion Kevin Owens in a non-title match is next. Big pops for both and a great match. Styles did tease the Styles Clash at one point. Jericho came out towards the end and distracted Styles, allowing Owens to hit the pop-up powerbomb for the win. After the match, Jericho came in the ring and hit the Codebreaker on Styles. Jericho talked trash to Styles as SmackDown ended.

which he believes is the day Patrick Swayze crossed the Delaware to slay the Kraken and plant Appleseeds.

"BRING OUT THE KRAKEN PINATA FILLED WITH APPLES!!! GODAMIT I MEAN IT I HAVEN"T EATEN NON-PINATA-DISTRIBUTED FOOD IN THREE EYARS!!!!  PINATAS ARE EGGS FOR NON EGG FOODS!!! Wait...does that mean I could have been eating eggs this whole time? GODDAMM YOU PATRICK SWAYZE!!!!"

• Like 4

We have all be talking about how good Smackdown has been lately. Well didnt one of the top writers from NXT recently get promoted to the main crew? Perhaps he and HHH have been working more with Smackdown in the lead up to the supposed brand split we might be getting?

Shane runs Raw with the main crew.

Triple H and Steph run Smackdown with the "B Team and NXT guys"

Doesn't really fit the storyline, though. Shane's promise for RAW is basically to push new talent whereas The Authority squash anyone you get behind.

Also, given how much they still overreact to RAW ratings, I can't see a scenario where they no longer trot out HHH and Stephanie on RAW.

They've even said on commentary that if Shane wins the HIAC match, he'll "gain control of RAW and WWE". If you control RAW, you control the entire promotion, let's be frank here.

Could always have Shane on post mania Raw tell Steph/Trip/Vince that even thou he's in charge of Raw now he thinks competition is a good thing (unlike Vince) so he will let them have Smackdown but they have to agree that no Smackdown wrestlers can show up on Raw unless they are sick and tired of how there being treated and want to work for him.

They've even said on commentary that if Shane wins the HIAC match, he'll "gain control of RAW and WWE". If you control RAW, you control the entire promotion, let's be frank here.

There's no need to be frank.  During Shane's return, Vince explicitly said Shane wanted Raw because that means he would control the whole WWE.

There's no need to be frank.  During Shane's return, Vince explicitly said Shane wanted Raw because that means he would control the whole WWE.

Yeah, but clearly that particular phrasing will open up some kind of loophole in the future, otherwise he could have just said "I want control of the WWE".

which he believes is the day Patrick Swayze crossed the Delaware to slay the Kraken and plant Appleseeds.

"BRING OUT THE KRAKEN PINATA FILLED WITH APPLES!!! GODAMIT I MEAN IT I HAVEN"T EATEN NON-PINATA-DISTRIBUTED FOOD IN THREE EYARS!!!!  PINATAS ARE EGGS FOR NON EGG FOODS!!! Wait...does that mean I could have been eating eggs this whole time? GODDAMM YOU PATRICK SWAYZE!!!!"

God damn it, I missed these

I was shocked there weren't any of these for Dean's matches in MM.

And hey, how fucking awesome that AJ and Owens are main eventing SD?  Who'd have thought that'd be a thing even half a year ago?

* The Social Outcasts come to the ring and hold the show up until Ambrose arrives from his night of huffing paint. Ambrose destroys them all and clears the ring with a board he found in an alley with a nail in it. Ambrose cut a promo on Brock Lesnar's SmackDown return next week, saying he will see him there after Hornswaggle resurrects from his tuna can lid death to transport him to Hornswaggle's home planet, Boston.

This is fun. It's like Mad Libs!

• Like 2

Ambrose's St. Patrick's Day isn't complete until he chases down Hornswaggle for his pot of Lucky Charms, slashing his throat with a rusty tuna can lid.

NSFW:

Excited for Styles vs. Owens.

• Like 1

Smackdown was pretty good this week.

AJ and Owens had a good backstage segment.

Ziggler/Miz had a heck of a match. Ziggler actually used his amateur wrestling. They played off their recent matches with the quick roll up pins.

Becky crushed the women's segment and had the best line on Sasha. Charlotte's turning into the best person for the other women to be chasing.

Owens/Styles was a great tease for them to have a PPV match. Not a big fan of the finish but it's what they do all the time.

I caught the last half of the main event, and my god was Lawler putrid on commentary. There's no possible way they can justify keeping him around any longer. Graves is ready and if they do a brand split post Mania King needs to be shown the door.

I caught the last half of the main event, and my god was Lawler putrid on commentary. There's no possible way they can justify keeping him around any longer. Graves is ready and if they do a brand split post Mania King needs to be shown the door.

I keep reading on Twitter that Lawler is so much better now that he's back to being a "heel" announcer, but I don't really get it. The only difference in his "work" is that he does his high-pitched shriek when the babyfaces are on offense now, instead of the heels.

I like Lawler much better now.  He isn't quite back to his 90's heel days but he is becoming way more refreshing than the last several years.  I have no earthly clue why Saxton is there as I think he just adds clutter.  Mauro and Lawler are perfect with this dynamic and Saxton adds nothing, and he's boring. 

I'm starting to think I should be watching more of this show as it just seems really low-key and simple, compared to RAW.  I only really caught Reigns and the Owens/AJ match, from Hulu, but maybe I should catch more of the show.  Reigns is awful and boring when he speaks and I'm starting to really sour on the guy.  I used to think he had some potential but now I just think he is boring and I'm not sure I'd even enjoy a heel turn.

Owens/AJ was pretty short but nice, and you just know those two are gonna work together a lot more.

Since Kalisto got the pin on Connor during Main Event, and the announcers kinda played up that he can hang in there with bigger men, I can only assume we'll see more Kalisto vs Goliath match ups in the next weeks.

As a parallel, I'd absolutely love to see Ryback take on small jobbers and make a big fuss about how he's prepping for Kalisto.

• Like 1