DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

Chris Kanyon does the Mortis gimmick in the WWE on a handful of house shows and dark matches in August 2003. I don't believe he ever wrestled as Mortis on television but I could've sworn there is a picture of him in a new purple Mortis costume in the 2nd edition of the WWE Encylopedia. Can someone who has the book check on this and confirm or deny it? And if it is in fact there could you maybe snap a picture of it so I can see it? I'm interviewing one of the authors Brian Shields tomorrow and I want to cite it as an example for determining criteria of who gets in and who does it but I only have the first edition. Thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. It wasn't in the book it's from an issue of Smackdown magazine:

Posted Image

I was actually at of the Smackdowns Mortis wrestled a dark match at. And the guy who jobbed out to him? Austin Aries.

Definitely remember seeing Mortis in a dark match at a St. Louis SD taping around that time...(checks) 8/12/03, yup.

Show also had Daivari in another dark match, Ken Anderson in jobber duty, a really good WGTT vs. Rey/Kidman match...and a SD main of A-Train vs. Stephanie.  Yay wrestling?

Mortis would have made a good masked evil counterpart to Rey. It is a shame how Kanyon was blackballed from wrestling. Very talented in ring performer who could make anything work. 

What's the best Kanyon/Mortis/Etc. match?

Well, learn something new every day.

That site also has Ultimo Dragon beating "Cheech DeVarney"...heh.

OK, here's something:  Notable before-they-were-stars dark match sightings?  I remember seeing Angle-Dinsmore in the dark match at Raw Is Owen in 1999.

Still feels weird to me that heels participate in the Breast Cancer stuff, but that's jut nitpicking. The good outweighs the bad for doing this.

When was the last time a heel was so evil, that he was pro-cancer?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-zhlw_hnGU

(Note: How do I embed on the new board?)

Easiest way is to just click on Share on the Youtube video and then copy that link directly into the board.

Mortis would have made a good masked evil counterpart to Rey. It is a shame how Kanyon was blackballed from wrestling. Very talented in ring performer who could make anything work. 

That is a good question. It is hard to think of a great match from him, because he was never put in a position to have classics. But I can think of so many really good matches he had. The match vs DDP at Superbrawl 2001 comes to mind. Him and DDP had great chemistry. I think he did a good job making Page's stuff less "scripted". Which I do not mean as a knock on DDP, But as a compliment for Kanyon.  

That is a good question. It is hard to think of a great match from him, because he was never put in a position to have classics. But I can think of so many really good matches he had. The match vs DDP at Superbrawl 2001 comes to mind. Him and DDP had great chemistry. I think he did a good job making Page's stuff less "scripted". Which I do not mean as a knock on DDP, But as a compliment for Kanyon.  

His match with Booker at Bash at the Beach 2000 was good too. I also remember he and Wrath having a pretty nice tag-match with the Faces of Fear at Fall Brawl 97.

I was also at that Smackdown with the random Mortis match. Went to see this Kurt Angle kid, several years before he was a star in TNA. He didn't appear though :[[[ It's like, even back then, he knew the importance of rest and recovery.

Somebody said Kanyon was blackballed from wrestling. I did not know this. Was it just because he was gay or did he do something shitty?

I think it had to be because he was gay. If he did something, it would have come out by now. He could not even get booked in TNA. It sure seems like he was blackballed. I love his run teaming with Wrath. Go look for the match with Glacier and Cat at Bash At The Beach 97. They had some neat offense. Cat actually showed a lot of potential. Some cool looking athletic spots/ Before he learned shtick. 

Kanyon made one TNA PPV as "Chris K" as part of an angle where Raven was having to wrestle names from his past.

I always felt the boat was missed on a big face run after his surgery where he nearly died. He'd had plenty of screen time as Alliance MVP and I thought he'd have got a better return than as a singing telegram for Taker to destroy.

Somebody said Kanyon was blackballed from wrestling. I did not know this. Was it just because he was gay or did he do something shitty?

I think it had to be because he was gay. If he did something, it would have come out by now. He could not even get booked in TNA. It sure seems like he was blackballed. I love his run teaming with Wrath. Go look for the match with Glacier and Cat at Bash At The Beach 97. They had some neat offense. Cat actually showed a lot of potential. Some cool looking athletic spots/ Before he learned shtick. 

I remember they broke out the Stackerplex a few years before Edge and Christian briefly used it as a finisher.

• Like 1