DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

I look at JBL as a slow progression to his character change. With the haircut and shave he took on a different look. Then it went from there. I mean its not like he got a haircut and a shave overnight and went all rich guy on us. I guess the same to be said about Surfer Sting to Crow Sting. From the bleach blonde buzz cut to the brown grown out hair. Sting might be another one that were discussing here. He went from gullible and all excited, "It's party time!! Owww!!" to silent ass kicker. He went from being all colorful to the drab black and white.

I fucking hate Mick Foley.

I hate how he consistently needs to let everyone know how good a person he is, how he has such a complete lack of humility in telling EVERYONE what great deeds he does right down to the last dollar in detail, I hate how he tells the same stories over and over again and has no concept that they've been done to death.

That I met him in person and realised what a whiny scumbag he is too, just nailed it for me. Poor man's Michael Moore.

Maybe it's a YMMV type of thing, but I've always found Foley to be an incredibly nice and down to Earth person for someone who has been blasted in the skull with hard objects more than most people have been. Case in point, when Foley came to town recently for a comedy show, a firefighter buddy of mine sent his publicist an email to see if he could have the time to come hang out at their fire station, which he gladly accepted. He ordered pizzas and shot the shit with the fire fighters at that station for a good long while. It's not like there is much else to do in South Bend when it isn't a home game weekend, so I'm sure Foley wasn't missing out on much, but he could have just as easily spent his time at the theater or in his hotel room.

I'll support Mick Foley as well. My first introduction to Mick Foley was as Mankind in the WWF and Mankind was one of the first heels I ever liked. Always a fan since that point. Mick Foley showed up for his book signing not far away from where I live in 2003, a place where wrestlers don't usually visit. Foley stayed longer so people didn't leave disappointed, I shook his hand, got the book singed and my picture with him. Foley was great with me and it was one of my favourite days of my life. The photo is framed on my wall.

I look at JBL as a slow progression to his character change. With the haircut and shave he took on a different look. Then it went from there. I mean its not like he got a haircut and a shave overnight and went all rich guy on us. I guess the same to be said about Surfer Sting to Crow Sting. From the bleach blonde buzz cut to the brown grown out hair. Sting might be another one that were discussing here. He went from gullible and all excited, "It's party time!! Owww!!" to silent ass kicker. He went from being all colorful to the drab black and white.

Yeah, but that was really well built. It was just a case of the super good guy who always does the right thing getting shit on to the point where he finally snapped. It was like when Ned Flanders' house got destroyed by a hurricane, except the hurricane was everyone in WCW stupidly falling for the fake Sting gag, including supposed-best-friend Lex Luger who saw the impostor at close range.

Hulk Hogan to Hollywood Hogan was a pretty big instant change. The only foreshadowing was that fans were already starting to resent Hulk in WCW.

Taker returning from injury with long red hair, denim everything, and riding a motorcycle was pretty startling too. Although character-wise, he was heading towards Biker-taker right before he got hurt.

Chavo forgetting Kerwin White ever existed right after Eddie died was very noticeable.

After they were split up by the draft, Simmons teamed with D-Von, then left TV for 6 months and came back and reunited with Bradshaw. Then in 2004, they had the angle where Heyman "fired" the APA, but it was only Simmons who got fired. Then he was released from his contract. I don't think he came back for another 2 years after that - when the whole "DAMN!" thing started.

The DAMN thing was long before that, he was doing it during the glory days of the APA.  It just wasn't his entire act then.

Wasn't Bradshaw not walking out when Simmons got fired the beginning of the JBL thing?

Yeah, but that was really well built. It was just a case of the super good guy who always does the right thing getting shit on to the point where he finally snapped. It was like when Ned Flanders' house got destroyed by a hurricane, except the hurricane was everyone in WCW stupidly falling for the fake Sting gag, including supposed-best-friend Lex Luger who saw the impostor at close range.Hulk Hogan to Hollywood Hogan was a pretty big instant change. The only foreshadowing was that fans were already starting to resent Hulk in WCW.Taker returning from injury with long red hair, denim everything, and riding a motorcycle was pretty startling too. Although character-wise, he was heading towards Biker-taker right before he got hurt.Chavo forgetting Kerwin White ever existed right after Eddie died was very noticeable.
Getting back to Sting for a second. I know it seems silly, but I wonder if his hair change was due to a long term plan back in '95/'96 for him to turn into Crow Sting or if he was just simply going for a different look and it was just by luck. Like if the NWO angle was being put together back in 1995 and it fell into place in June of 1996 and Sting was all part of the plan. Does anybody have any idea on when they were starting to put together the NWO angle?

Yeah, but that was really well built. It was just a case of the super good guy who always does the right thing getting shit on to the point where he finally snapped. It was like when Ned Flanders' house got destroyed by a hurricane, except the hurricane was everyone in WCW stupidly falling for the fake Sting gag, including supposed-best-friend Lex Luger who saw the impostor at close range.

Hulk Hogan to Hollywood Hogan was a pretty big instant change. The only foreshadowing was that fans were already starting to resent Hulk in WCW.

Taker returning from injury with long red hair, denim everything, and riding a motorcycle was pretty startling too. Although character-wise, he was heading towards Biker-taker right before he got hurt.

Chavo forgetting Kerwin White ever existed right after Eddie died was very noticeable.

There was the briefly awful period when he was feuding against the Dungeon of Doom where he went all black and more nasty in the ring after he got his mustache shaved. But whether that was the beginning of Hollywood is probably a reach.

Yeah, but that was really well built. It was just a case of the super good guy who always does the right thing getting shit on to the point where he finally snapped. It was like when Ned Flanders' house got destroyed by a hurricane, except the hurricane was everyone in WCW stupidly falling for the fake Sting gag, including supposed-best-friend Lex Luger who saw the impostor at close range.Hulk Hogan to Hollywood Hogan was a pretty big instant change. The only foreshadowing was that fans were already starting to resent Hulk in WCW.Taker returning from injury with long red hair, denim everything, and riding a motorcycle was pretty startling too. Although character-wise, he was heading towards Biker-taker right before he got hurt.Chavo forgetting Kerwin White ever existed right after Eddie died was very noticeable.
Getting back to Sting for a second. I know it seems silly, but I wonder if his hair change was due to a long term plan back in '95/'96 for him to turn into Crow Sting or if he was just simply going for a different look and it was just by luck. Like if the NWO angle was being put together back in 1995 and it fell into place in June of 1996 and Sting was all part of the plan. Does anybody have any idea on when they were starting to put together the NWO angle?

I think the story is that Sting was a front runner for the Hogan heel turn at one point.

More than Hogan? I don't think so. The biggest babyface wrestler in the world turning bad guy attracts new audience. The biggest babyface in WCW turning heel only affects those who were keeping up with WCW to begin with.

I would have liked to have seen Sting turn on Hogan though. When would have been a good spot for Hogan to come back as a face, pushing away the NWO? the Goldberg defeat? And Sting just turns on him saying "NO I'M THE HERO" 

That would have been kind of cool. Sting just dropping from rafters blasting everyone saying "I'M SAVING YOU FROM YOURSELF"