DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

The Mountie and Boss Man.

They were both arrogant police authority figures who routinely overstepped his bounds by using non-lethal weaponry to subdue people that were no longer a threat. They were often over-aggressive and really seemed like bullies that got into their jobs to hurt defenseless jobbers citizens. 

This is clearly a prescient critique of the relationship between authority figures and citizens that should be applauded. 

Also, Duke Droese should have been a heel. We need to recycle, not fill limited landfill space with more of our garbage. 

I didn't ask for a list of working class gimmicks, I asked which ones were the best.  C'mon people, give me some reasons why you think those gimmicks were awesome.  We're talking about wrestlers whose gimmick revolved around a specific occupation that could be described as working class or proletarian.

Heel Doink was the best out of the "every wrestler needs a side job" era.

*Bill Simmons mode* NO ONE DENIES THIS!

I always understood heel Doink as a character that wasn't a clown as a job, but that was a sicko that got his jollies from dressing up as a clown, scaring kids, and pulling the various stumps of jobber-folk until they popped right out of their sockets.

I feel like Big Josh is a better example of a Matt Borne working-class character. 

I asked this last month but I think it got lost amongst the postmodernism:Is there a Best of WCW Saturday Night set anyone knows of? Or best of WCWSN/Pro/Worldwide?

There is definitely no "official" set, but I know you can find torrents of complete episodes. An "unofficial" best of the B-shows" comp, of only the Saturday & syndicated shows would have potential for some good stuff.
Those sets would be a dream. I'm sucker for those shows over Nitro and Thunder because of the odd match-ups and appearances. I always loved that futuristic, sci-fi designed Saturday Night set and the show open too.
I'd love to see 911 in WCW and a quick search on YouTube produced nothing
Look up Big Al in WCW on YouTube. There's at least two on there.Nothing under the name Tombstone but he used that too.
I thought that was an old rumor and he wasn't actually Big Al from the Superbrawl match with Tank

What was the deal with the Cole twins from WCW? They have popped up on WWE classics on demand lately and I've wondered why they never got a push. The only thing I know about them is that apparently they confirmd Raven's theory of working legs in the gym. Outside of their ridiculous hybrid mullet/rat tail haircut, they had good size and seemed more than capable in the ring. They would have faired well in the WWE tag division of the early to mid 90's IMO.

Thinking of bad day-job gimmicks that would work in 2013, we might just need a welder character that comes in as a heel and mocks college-educated wrestlers for wasting money on a business or Humanities degree while they went straight into a blue-collar career at 60K a year, starting. 

• Like 2

What was the deal with the Cole twins from WCW? They have popped up on WWE classics on demand lately and I've wondered why they never got a push. The only thing I know about them is that apparently they confirmd Raven's theory of working legs in the gym. Outside of their ridiculous hybrid mullet/rat tail haircut, they had good size and seemed more than capable in the ring. They would have faired well in the WWE tag division of the early to mid 90's IMO.

It seemed like they dropped out of the business for a while, and then turned up in Wildside, of all places, in 2000.

Oh, and here's an interesting tidbit: Keith Cole was Terra Ryzing's first opponent in WCW.

They weren't good and had negative charisma.

Very true, and WCW was using Thunder and Lightning (who had the same problems) at the same time, which just made things worse.

A modern day repo man character was the best idea in this thread.  MVP should make his return as the new repo man since he did that broke gimmick where he had something repoed, if I recall correctly.  He can say that he's been working hard making money or whatever the last few years. They could then put him on lizard lick towing and do some cross promotion.  Or better yet maybe he debuts on lizard lick towing then teases his wrestling return for a season.  Then at some point on the show he repo's a wrestlers car and there's his first feud, he then start showing up on raw and stuff.  I would tune into that pile of shit show if he was on there I think.

I was pissed they were hailed as being from my hometown.