DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

True, but it's still a big deal to mention guys like Morishima, Low Ki, and McGuinness on there. It's weird, because you can tell there's a part of the company that wants to embrace wrestling history, but at the same time it's constantly negated by the Vince train of thought that erases/ignores the past. I truly think Triple H wants to bring the former to the front - I mean, the whole thing on Raw acknowledging Orton DDT'ing Steph in front of Haitch?!

The part of the company that wants to embrace wrestling history are the three guys in the Titan Tower basement who lurk on the Observer Board, that they tell to make content for the stupid website and social medias. 

• Like 3

The part of the company that wants to embrace wrestling history are the three guys in the Titan Tower basement who lurk on the Observer Board, that they tell to make content for the stupid website and social medias. 

You and your goddamned truth, dashing my markdom.

Stock falling with age: Devon, Karl Anderson, Doug Williams, Elijah Burke, Davey Richards, Angelina Love, Kevin Nash, Robbie E, Kevin Steen

That is all.

There was stock in Angelina Love?

Nominally.

In 2008 when she was with Velvet Sky and tagged with people like Awesome Kong or Moose against Roxxi or ODB the matches were far better as compared to 2011 when she was wrestling against Sarita/Rosita or even singles matches with Mickie James.

I think it's smart for them to acknowledge the rest of the wrestling world. It's the difference between being the only fish in the pond and being the biggest. If there are no other fish in there it's probably because the water's shitty and there's no way you'll convince the diners that the "brown cod" is a delicacy.

• Like 1

I totally agree. In the "What Are You watching?" thread someone posted UltimoDragon/Malenko and Liger/MysterioJr from Starrcade, and it reminded me of what I thought was the best aspect of WCW. It felt like it was apart of the WORLD and that their wrestlers represented the company elsewhere. When Tenay or Schiavonne announces that Liger and Ultimo will be fighting for the cruiser title at the Tokyo Dome show, the biggest show in Japan, it made the belt feel super important. Furthermore it created this communal feeling, that you, the wrestling fan, was also connected to wrestling fans thousands of miles away. It made the wrestling in the ring have a certain weight to it, like these guys were competing for world recognition.

And ECW had that going a little with the FMW crossovers, but not at the same level. But it made the company feel like a bigger deal.

WWE just feels so insular and doesn't feel as big of a deal kayfabe wise despite being the biggest wrestling company ever. There's WWE and then there's everything else. And I kind of like the feeling of being apart of everything else more. I wish WWE would join in.

• Like 2

Exactly, and why nobody should say Bryan should be more like Austin. Bryan is a good, honest, little dude who happens to be fucking KING SIZED in the ring. He doesn't need to steal beer trucks or flip people off. He just smashes your face with his knee and pins you, and he'll do it as many times as possible.

Also, WWE.com just put up this article about his indy past. Company is behind him like crazy. So cool.

http://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/history-of-daniel-bryan-part-one

That's awesome.  They need to start calling him The American Dragon on air already!  Or at least stick some dragons on the side plates next time he wins the big one.

• Like 1

I totally agree. In the "What Are You watching?" thread someone posted UltimoDragon/Malenko and Liger/MysterioJr from Starrcade, and it reminded me of what I thought was the best aspect of WCW. It felt like it was apart of the WORLD and that their wrestlers represented the company elsewhere. When Tenay or Schiavonne announces that Liger and Ultimo will be fighting for the cruiser title at the Tokyo Dome show, the biggest show in Japan, it made the belt feel super important. Furthermore it created this communal feeling, that you, the wrestling fan, was also connected to wrestling fans thousands of miles away. It made the wrestling in the ring have a certain weight to it, like these guys were competing for world recognition.

And ECW had that going a little with the FMW crossovers, but not at the same level. But it made the company feel like a bigger deal.

WWE just feels so insular and doesn't feel as big of a deal kayfabe wise despite being the biggest wrestling company ever. There's WWE and then there's everything else. And I kind of like the feeling of being apart of everything else more. I wish WWE would join in.

Exactly and it is a way of bringing credibility to guys without having to build them up for a long time. They talk about wanting to expand into Mexico, Japan, Europe, etc. and I think this would be the perfect way to do it. Then again: Tensai.

I will say that NXT over the last year has had something of an international feel to it. 

So while everyone else is talking about how the article mentions so and so and has pics from ROH, I get to this line, "It has been roughly two-years since his face was clean-shaven; throw him in a suit and you don’t get Tom Brady so much as the Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer," and immediately think "Hey, Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer didn't have a beard!  If anything his oversized brow and nose are straight up HHH."

I will say that NXT over the last year has had something of an international feel to it. 

How so? Do they have like a globe on a desk or something?

I guess I didn't need to work over the next ten minutes. Let me look at the NXT roster.

Adrian Neville - New Castle Upon Tyne, England

ALEXANDER RUSEV - Bulgaria
Danny Burch - London
Emma - Melbourne, Australia
Leo Kruger -  Johannesburg, South Africa
Oliver Grey - Exeter, England
Paige - Norwich, England
Rick Victor - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Sami Zayn - Montreal
SYLVESTER LEFORT - Nice, France
Tyler Breeze is from Canada (though he's billed with a seasonal residence in Milan)

And in the last year there was Sakamoto who got cut and Del Rio's brother and probably a bunch of people I can't think of. Plus, regularly featured have been the Usos, Primo and Epico (and Rosa), Yoshi Tatsu, Tyson Kidd, Justin Gabriel, etc. 

I realize this isn't quite like the japanese and luchador population of late 90s WCW, and some of the above is kayfabe or just Americans with diverse cultural backgrounds (The Usos are billed from San Francisco I think but I think on a kayfabe level they sort of count in the same way the Faces of Fear counted though yeah they were actually born in Tonga. You can give me shit for this if you want. It's a "feel" thing for me), but still. I feel like at least half of the matches in the back half of last year (which is as far as I've gotten in my rewatching) had at least one "international feel" wrestler in it. 

Uhhhh, gridiron football is far less international a sport than baseball.  In fact, the attempts to make it more international have failed miserably.

I agree that it would be better if the WWE would acknowledge how wrestlers get made.  It would even work into their mythos; the WWE is the destination, and while many are called, few are chosen.  But your analogy is way off.

Your reading comprehension is off, Morgan is saying treat every other wrestling federation in the world like the NFL treats college football teams.  Don't be afraid to mention them, but make sure and get across that EVERY wrestler's dream is to make it to the WWE.

The fact that you understood what I intended, even though American Football is not international, sort of makes my point.  MLB, not Baseball in general, but MLB Specifically has this huge development path, but you rarely hear about the colleges or the minor league grooming that players have received.  You will here nationalities, and occasionally if its a local player coming home even if hes on the opposing team, you will hear about it.  But NFL broadcasts ALWAYS talk about "such and such player from This here school" 

Which is what I meant when I said the WWE should treat the guys they are getting from the Indy's like the NFL treats is players, talk about how they came up, what they managed to accomplish.  It would make the Wrestling World seem bigger, and make making it to the WWE a bigger deal to those who might not be aware of anything outside that bubble.

• Like 2

- Hulk Hogan has reportedly been upset with TNA as of late. This is said to be due to the way that TNA handled Brooke Hogan's departure. Hulk felt that TNA should have informed him first and allowed him to handle it, but TNA made the choice to release her without giving him notice. Other reports note that it is around this time that communication between Dixie Carter and Hogan was breaking down. Last week's Impact taping in Cincinnati was reportedly the first time in a while that Hogan, Carter and Erick Bischoff were in the same place together. It was reported earlier that Hulk Hogan's TNA contract is up on October 1st.Credit: Pwinsider.com via wreslezone.com