DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

I wonder what a Warren Ellis TNA would be like. Other than the most fucking awesometacular .8 rated wrestling show EVAR!!!

It would be hard to see what's happening in the ring through all the cigarette smoke.
Also, gratuitious blade jobs.
Did no one watch pre-indoor smoking ban ECW?

I want Grant Morrison. Flex Mentallo running roughshod over everyone, Cena being taken out by a God Bullet, HHH and the Good for Business Gang versus the Invisibles, Dean Ambrose forming the Brotherhood of Dada with AJ, Big E and Roman Reigns in a gimp suit. Only me and 10 other people would be watching after a month, but it would be glorious.

I had to unlike a different post just so I had one for this.

Or if they figure out a Super Gay wrestling concept (The Gay-Ass Grappling Association?) to put on Bravo. Would you watch a comedy-oriented, homosexual-themed wrestling show with a lot of characters who seem ripped straight from Stefon's Weekend Update segments?

I'd watch.

Or if they figure out a Super Gay wrestling concept (The Gay-Ass Grappling Association?) to put on Bravo. Would you watch a comedy-oriented, homosexual-themed wrestling show with a lot of characters who seem ripped straight from Stefon's Weekend Update segments?

I'd watch.

So, the only question is what character Davey Richards should have.  Gizblow the coked-up gremlin?  Two-year-old Ultimate "Fighter Drooly Lips" Jackson?  Lazily-named drag queen Melvin in a Dress?

And just to get the rest of the forum on board, I have two words for you: Hobocop Army.

Am watching the new WWE Mid-South Blu-Ray and it's pretty great stuff so far.  First time I've seen the DiBiase-Duggan stip-a-palooza that wasn't from a 4th gen VHS copy. 

I was also shocked as hell to see the late Dr. Death Steve Williams as one of the guys they interviewed.  I can't imagine that they would talk to him 4-5 years ago "just in case" but I don't know what other docs he appeared on where this interview would be relevant.

I was also shocked as hell to see the late Dr. Death Steve Williams as one of the guys they interviewed.  I can't imagine that they would talk to him 4-5 years ago "just in case" but I don't know what other docs he appeared on where this interview would be relevant.

It's not so much talking to guys just in case as when they cross paths with guys they get them to sit down and do a little interview on various topics so they have sound bytes to pull from for future projects. In other words they probably sat him down and got bytes on a lot of stuff at once, including Mid South. They were doing that WrestleMania weekend last year in Miami with a lot of the guys who were signing at WrestleReunion. They'd be shuttled to and from the WWE hotel where a makeshift production room had been set up and they were getting sound bytes from different guys on a variety of subjects like the Greatest Rivalries DVD, Best Finishing Moves DVD, the Monday Night Wars documentary that was set to air on the WWE Network, etc.

Per Wikipedia:

In 2004, Williams underwent surgery for throat cancer and was declared cancer-free the next year. He made an appearance at a SmackDown! brand house show on March 11, 2006 in Alexandria, Louisiana, after which he was signed to help train up and coming WWE wrestlers in its Ohio Valley Wrestling (OVW) developmental territory. While acting in that capacity he made a few appearances on OVW television "helping out" fellow Oklahoma wrestler Jake Hager and briefly working as his tag team partner. He also made an appearance at an August 30 Raw house show, during which he addressed the crowd and announced how happy he was to be "four years cancer free."

So anywhere in here they could've interviewed him.

And the great thing about Jim Ross doing new commentary on some of the matches is, it's not like previous new commentary where guys are talking like they're watching something from the past. Ross is commentating as if he was there live and doing commentary. It's really awesome.

Ross is great in the Magnum TA/ Mr. Wrestling 2 vs Midnights in the losers get strapped 10 times, (5 times per team member) match, where 2 turns on Magnum, Magnum takes the whipping saying he'll take all ten, and Terry Taylor comes in to take the 5 strap shots that 2 would have taken. It has JR in totally awesome mode. He's commentating like he was there live seeing this for the first time, and it's fucking amazing. He never says anything to indicate that it isn't the original call. I can't say enough about this.
  • Like 2

Cool reviews of the Mid-South set so far. As a west coaster who only grew up on WWE, I'll freely admit I know almost nothing, except of the notables that moved on to WWE. 

Since Stuttsy brought up the Greatest Rivalries set; its on Netflix and a pretty fun and enjoyable watch. The numbered list is obviously subjective, which WWE's own admittance to was a bit refreshing. Nothing really new per say, but its fun hearing from some of the guys who give their thoughts on the feuds. Road Dogg has always been well spoken and I enjoyed hearing his take on HHH vs Mankind/Foley feud. I wished they used him more on air today. Even Vicki Guerrero was nice talking about Rey vs. Eddie. As much of a fan of Miz I am, I don't know how much he actually added to his segment. As with many recent WWE DVDs and collections I enjoyed hearing and seeing those deemed as "outsiders" including Russo and Shane Douglas give their thoughts on different feuds. 

The host segments are skippable and the periodic table theme won't age well. I'm actually more inclined to search out the set based on the extras and matches included. I have vague or no memory of some of the actual matches featured. 

In my part to engage a talking point, as this point is there any real question that Austin vs. McMahon was the "greatest rivalry," within the WWE universe? As it got through the top 5 or so, I quickly realized they were going in that direction. I realize Mexico, Japan, international, and indies are ignored. Anyone else have thoughts on the actual set? I realize the actual list may/was probably already scrutinized.  

EDIT- Cody Rhodes' mustache will forever be remembered! 

Edited by BNosanchuk

I think he's saying it doesn't matter who writes it. It all comes down to what Vince and Co. at the top want.

Yeah that seems evident, I must have been particularly distracted. /pointlessbutcompelled, continue all hootenanny. Here's random... Colt cabana seems like a bitter dude to me.

For god's sake don't ever mention it to him.

I tweeted it was easy to tell when he wasn't interested in who he was interviewing and (taking production time into account) the next 5 AOW guests all "just happened" to bring up what a great interviewer he was and how he seemed like he really cared about what they had to say.

Magnum TA/ Mr. Wrestling 2 vs Midnights in the losers get strapped 10 times, (5 times per team member) match, where 2 turns on Magnum, Magnum takes the whipping saying he'll take all ten, and Terry Taylor comes in to take the 5 strap shots that 2 would have taken.

This sounds so amazing & I can just imagine how hot the crowd was for it.

If you have an interest in wrestling championships and how they are made like I do, you'll want to read this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1766273-wwe-championship-belt-maker-dave-millcan-talks-big-logo-2013-wwe-belt-and-more

Thanks, that was an awesome read. I had no idea that Orange County Choppers helped build the current belt haha. Also interesting to think that there are two different championships the WWE uses, the road belt and the HD belt.

I'm also reading through the WWE article they did with him now and I guess it never dawned on me that the USWA title originally came about as being the unified title for the AWA and WCCW.

EDIT: Fun fact I wonder if anybody notices but apparently there were two different sets of WWF Tag Title belts used in the mid-90s as one picture shows the Demolition with tag belts where "WORLD" is in red, then goes to Money Inc. who has a set where "WORLD" is in black, and then later on Edge and Christian have the tag belts with "WORLD" in red again.

I haven't heard anything about TK since he was doing the Nikozuna gimmick in Mexico, and that was, what, the mid-90's?

EDIT: Looks like he was a semi-regular for that group in Italy that Rikishi was booking a few years back, which makes sense.  Didn't know he worked a Z1 tour in '02.

Doesn't Kane have a reputation for working really soft but in a good way? He has a good, believable monster offense but it's super simple (choke slams, etc.) that end in pretty well-protected bumps to whoever takes them. I also don't remember him ever taking any insane bumps, even in The Attitude years.Just goes to show that if working smart and having the ability to run with a character that in lesser hands would have been prime WrestleCrap material leads to a long career.