DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

Was never all that impressed with Rock as a worker.He was in the greatest WM main event ever, but I very rarely seek out old Rock matches to watch.

When you watch four weeks of Raw/SmackDown and then the PPV, Rock matches are awesome. Needs context to really enjoy it.

Fair enough, but you could say that for a lot of guys.

I don't remember many matches where Rock elevated a lesser talent or had a great match with a shitty worker. Most of his solid matches (Austin, HHH, Taker, Benoit) was with a better worker than he was. Hell, I would say Mick Foley was the better worker in their series of matches. You could say he was better than Jericho and Shamrock in their feuds, but even that's not indisputable.

Bret got a good match out of a pirate, Shawn gave Sid his best match and Eddie made JBL look like a fucking monster. Rocky wasn't that kind of worker.

I think Rock 'carried' loads of lesser workers to good matches, but just in a different way to what we normally mean when we say that. Through his charisma and his popularity he made a lot of stuff seem better than it really was. He might not be the best Samoan, but he's certainly in the discussion.

And, come on, man, Jean-Pierre Lafitte was awesome. A better wrestling thief than Repo Man, that's for sure.

I'm biased but I enjoyed Rock's in-ring stuff from 2000-2001.  Admittedly, he did work with some good-to-amazing people in that time. I wouldn't limit my "best wrestler" criteria to just in-ring skills though, so I'm wacky.

I don't think enjoying The Rock's matches in the 2000's is some kind of outrageous opinion now. 

Yeah, that's not crazy at all. Everyone has their own magic formula. Some combination of psychology, charisma, match quality, longevity, etc. etc. Some of those criteria get weighted differently for different folks. It's not a right or wrong deal, it's more to stimulate discussion.

Admittedly I only asked this question to see how easy it would be to change the subject from whatever was going on before I asked.

• Like 1

I have read Umaga's autopsy. It mentions his genitals; while I wasn't surprised, I also wasn't expecting it when I saw it. I was unable to watch Umaga's matches for a little over a year afterward.

The Rock was largely awesome. His neverending catchphrase promos got ridiculously annoying during his peak run. But his return heel turn in Toronto is on the short list of greatest things ever in wrestling. "YAY! THAT'S WHERE WE LIVE!" It was such great work -- dickish, with Rock saying Toronto is where his hatred for the fans started, and his jealousy over Stone Cold prompting all of this. He went from having an arena explode for him to Memphis-esque hatred in less than 10 minutes.That Ironman match with HHH was awesome, save for Shawn Michaels' awful shorts. So was the ladder match. And all the insane stuff with Foley. And the WM match with Austin. And the WM match with Hulk. And the match with Brock. And Jericho.The Rock didn't break out any complex moves. His moveset was as simple as it got. That's what I loved about him in retrospect. It was easy for his stuff to work for a mainstream wrestling audience. It was easy for an audience to see why an opponent would get hurt from what he did and why The Rock was going for that move when he was. The Rock Bottom was a great finisher along those lines -- there were a lot of ways to escape and counter it, which is how a lot of WWE matches are built around. All of Randy's matches since he magically became awesome have been built around that, essentially.

I have read Umaga's autopsy. It mentions his genitals; while I wasn't surprised, I also wasn't expecting it when I saw it. I was unable to watch Umaga's matches for a little over a year afterward.

Wait, what?

http://www.autopsyfiles.org/reports/Celebs/fatu,%20edward_report.pdf

He... He...

HE WAS CIRCUMCISED!

Posted Image

The guy filling it out sounds kind of like a douche. "the tongue is unremarkable" "The testicles are unremarkable." 

He's lucky Umaga didn't pop up and Samoan Spike him in the throat right then and there.

• Like 2

Wait, what?

http://www.autopsyfiles.org/reports/Celebs/fatu,%20edward_report.pdf

He... He...

HE WAS CIRCUMCISED!

Posted Image

Jewmaga?

I denounce myself.

• Like 3

The guy filling it out sounds kind of like a douche. "the tongue is unremarkable" "The testicles are unremarkable." 

He's lucky Umaga didn't pop up and Samoan Spike him in the throat right then and there.

Jeeze, it's like Smackdown Spoilers. You guys can't accept any little criticism of your favorite wrestler.

• Like 1

St. Louis-area indy stuff for September:

Friday 9/6:  Dynamo Pro Wrestling at the Sports Academy in Glen Carbon, IL

Dan Walsh vs. Ricky Cruz, Billy McNeil vs. Dingo, Nikki Strychnine vs. K.C. Karrington

Saturday 9/14:  SICW in Hillsdale, MO(outdoor matinee, back-to-school thing for the local kids)

Saturday 9/14:  MMWA at the South Broadway Athletic Club in St. Louis, MO

Saturday 9/21:  SICW in East Carondelet, IL

Saturday 9/28:  MECW in Wood River, IL

What I meant was, I was just toodling along, reading his autopsy casually (out of a morbid interest), when bam! There's the description of his meat & two veg, then it threw a light on, 1. Having read about his junk, that's probably going to intrude on my mind watching his matches, but then 2. What kind of ghoul reads autopsy reports for leisure?

So, it wasn't as weird as you might have first thought ... um, sorry?

What I meant was, I was just toodling along, reading his autopsy casually (out of a morbid interest), when bam! There's the description of his meat & two veg, then it threw a light on, 1. Having read about his junk, that's probably going to intrude on my mind watching his matches, but then 2. What kind of ghoul reads autopsy reports for leisure?So, it wasn't as weird as you might have first thought ... um, sorry?

There's got to be at least one poster here who saw that and decided to check out other autopsy reports for what they say about topics such as testicular size.  As if some people didn't need another reason to root for HHH to die.

So I went to Chikara's King of Trios in 2012 and PWG's Battle of Los Angeles this year, and had a great time at both.  I was wondering what else is out there right now in the way of U.S. super indy tournaments that get run every year?

Absolute Intense Wrestling has the J.T. Lightning Invitational.

IWA-MS is apparently back up and running the Ted Petty Invitational again.

Anything else?

What the hell is wrong with Jim Neidhart?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMDzSUhGxmE

You'd be fiending for a hit of something too if you had to constantly listen to Bret Hart put himself over all the time.

---

Cool Cody Rhodes article at WWE.com

http://www.wwe.com/classics/wcw/cody-rhodes-growing-up-wcw-26138473

Yeah, sure you were going to stand up to THE MONSTER MENG!, young Cody.

And I don't remember the Falcons coming out to celebrate Goldberg's title win at the Georgia Dome.  I've heard Goldberg mention it too.  I do remember them eventually coming out after the "Fingerpoke Of Doom" which Rhodes forgets was the next Nitro at the Georgia Dome.  Hence why the house was half-full for the one with Megadeth.

---

If Tama had maintained his weight around Islander size he could've been a big player.  Imagine him being crowned King instead of Haku.  He had a way cockier and heelish demeanor than Haku and they could've easily done King Tama vs. babyface King Tonga Haku.

He was so much bigger and completely unrecognizable when he showed up in WCW as the Samoan Savage.

• Like 1