DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

Oh shit yeah, Haku! I'd put Rock behind Fatu and Haku. And I think if Umaga had lived longer, rock would be behind him too.

So maybe we should first define what you mean by "best." The Rock is the clear cut most successful. As far as the actual craft is concerned, as in the bell-to-bell, that's kind of subjective.

It's totally subjective. When I say best I never ever want an objective answer. What a horribly dry and boring conversation that would be. If I asked who was the most successful wrestler ever(of any race or gender), we'd be bogged down in gate attendances and pay-per-view buyrates and inflation conversions and by the time we finally decide it's Hulk Hogan or Steve Austin or Rock no one cares because they always knew it was one of those three.

For this particular question, it would be nice to hear why, but even I myself didn't offer much explanation as to why I didn't rank Rocky very high. Really Fatu/Rikishi is an absolute beast. He had solid to great singles as Rikishi, and had about a million awesome squash matches with The Headshrinkers. His offense looked great, and he did well as a heel and as a face. My only complaint would be his turned out bump off of clotheslines because I never bought anybody hitting him that hard. And his match with Venis in the cage is one of my favorite matches from the era. Like Top 10-15. For me the Rock had a great personality and great energy, but I never felt like he added much in structure to his matches, and my favorite singles from him are against Ken Shamrock, which doesn't say much for his main event run. 

I read that as Trollop H, and thought what an interesting and unexpected character development that would be.

Also, Rosey was the shit.

If Joe had stayed at the level he was at from about '04-'07, I think he'd be the easy and obvious answer.  But he didn't, so he's not.

Big 'Kish probably has the best combination of high quality and being good for the longest time.

Was never all that impressed with Rock as a worker.He was in the greatest WM main event ever, but I very rarely seek out old Rock matches to watch.

When you watch four weeks of Raw/SmackDown and then the PPV, Rock matches are awesome. Needs context to really enjoy it.

Fair enough, but you could say that for a lot of guys.

I don't remember many matches where Rock elevated a lesser talent or had a great match with a shitty worker. Most of his solid matches (Austin, HHH, Taker, Benoit) was with a better worker than he was. Hell, I would say Mick Foley was the better worker in their series of matches. You could say he was better than Jericho and Shamrock in their feuds, but even that's not indisputable.

Bret got a good match out of a pirate, Shawn gave Sid his best match and Eddie made JBL look like a fucking monster. Rocky wasn't that kind of worker.

Why is having a good match the main decider in choosing who's the best Samoan wrestler? Those other Samoans never sold out arenas across the world, cut some of the best promos in history, guest hosted SNL, or had multiple #1 box office hits. Rock did more for the Samoan community when it came to world wide exposure than any other Samoan wrestler from the past. To me that qualifies him as the #1 all-time Samoan wrestler in history. 

I'm biased but I enjoyed Rock's in-ring stuff from 2000-2001.  Admittedly, he did work with some good-to-amazing people in that time. I wouldn't limit my "best wrestler" criteria to just in-ring skills though, so I'm wacky.

• Like 2

My personal favorite Samoan wrestler has to be Umaga. He came along during the age of the internet cynic, when everybody was crapping all over the gimmick before it even started. WIthin a few weeks he had changed a lot of minds due to his awesomeness. He was also a great reason to watch when things on top were mostly crap(DX).

• Like 2

Umaga and Jeff Hardy was the only match combination that could get me to stop fast-forwarding during a period of time when I would skip over 95% of RAW.

I never got sick of those two guys wrestling each other all of the time.

DA SAMOAN BULL-DOH-SER!

• Like 2

I'm biased but I enjoyed Rock's in-ring stuff from 2000-2001.  Admittedly, he did work with some good-to-amazing people in that time. I wouldn't limit my "best wrestler" criteria to just in-ring skills though, so I'm wacky.

I don't think enjoying The Rock's matches in the 2000's is some kind of outrageous opinion now. 

Oh shit yeah, Haku! I'd put Rock behind Fatu and Haku. And I think if Umaga had lived longer, rock would be behind him too.

So maybe we should first define what you mean by "best." The Rock is the clear cut most successful. As far as the actual craft is concerned, as in the bell-to-bell, that's kind of subjective.

It's totally subjective. When I say best I never ever want an objective answer. What a horribly dry and boring conversation that would be. If I asked who was the most successful wrestler ever(of any race or gender), we'd be bogged down in gate attendances and pay-per-view buyrates and inflation conversions and by the time we finally decide it's Hulk Hogan or Steve Austin or Rock no one cares because they always knew it was one of those three.

"Best" should be defined as whoever ought to win a Samoan Madness tournament run by you.

• Like 2

I wondered this myself when I saw this match on 24/7 a couple years ago. Fuji and Heneen had a mini little feud that culminated with a match on a non-televised show (I think) at the Nassau Coliseum of all places a few weeks later. I really wish it was something they would have run on television at the time. It would have been fun to watch them yell at each other on Superstars.

Holy shit, like I knew the Barbarian was way bigger in WWF then WCW but goddamn he's like monsterous in there next to Haku, and like 5 years later they'd be basically the same size. But seriously though Faces of Fear were the shit and really should have been tag team champions forever.

• Like 1