DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

I can't remember what promotion it was for, but after taking some absolutely crazy bump, the ref went over to Necro and asked if he was ok, and he responded by mumbling "I should've been an architect".

If that would have happened in the legendary Joe match, that thing would have deserved every star in the group of five it would have received.

Reading about Freddie Prinze Jr. being attatched to the new Star Wars movie, and in the article it mentions his WWE run on the creative team.. then it says Bob Mould of Husker Du fame had a stint as a script writer for WCW?!

After the tour, Mould took a break from the music world to get involved with another passion of his, professional wrestling, when he joined WCW as a scriptwriter in 1999 for a brief period.[23] Creative differences with some of the other writers led to Mould's leaving the company and returning to music. The liner notes for the 2002 album Modulate thank some of the wrestlers he associated with, most notably Kevin Nash and Kevin Sullivan.

Reading about Freddie Prinze Jr. being attatched to the new Star Wars movie, and in the article it mentions his WWE run on the creative team.. then it says Bob Mould of Husker Du fame had a stint as a script writer for WCW?!

After the tour, Mould took a break from the music world to get involved with another passion of his, professional wrestling, when he joined WCW as a scriptwriter in 1999 for a brief period.[23] Creative differences with some of the other writers led to Mould's leaving the company and returning to music. The liner notes for the 2002 album Modulate thank some of the wrestlers he associated with, most notably Kevin Nash and Kevin Sullivan.

Yep! Bob talks about it a lot in his autobiography, too. He's a lifelong rasslin' fan.

People are talking about the Joe match like it WASN'T a garbage match.  He landed on his fucking head multiple times, he bladed gushers.   It WAS a deathmatch without gimmicks in the ring.  And as for Drake Younger, he still makes his name being basically suicidal, even in PWG.  Ridiculous bumps, drops and dives.  To me taking the risks he does is no different then being hit by lighttubes.

Let's not distract ourselves from the FACT that these guys do NOT get booked for their wrestling ability.

• Like 1

Yep! Bob talks about it a lot in his autobiography, too. He's a lifelong rasslin' fan.

Bob Mould was, to the best of my knowledge, the first person to use the now commonplace term "Hardcore Wrestling". It was the name of his punk culture style Xeroxed pro wrestling fanzine back in the 80s. You can find a handful of scans with a Google Image Search of "bob mould hardcore wrestling".

• Like 2

Bob Mould was, to the best of my knowledge, the first person to use the now commonplace term "Hardcore Wrestling". It was the name of his punk culture style Xeroxed pro wrestling fanzine back in the 80s. You can find a handful of scans with a Google Image Search of "bob mould hardcore wrestling".

There's no one alive I want to meet more than Bob Mould. I love Husker and Sugar so much. (His dance music phase I'll ignore -- not my cup of tea.) Every interview that's ever been done with him focuses on his music career, naturally. I want to naturally talk to him about his love of rasslin' (everyone always gives it a passing oddity nod) because you know he can get into his love of AWA and St. Louis and whatever he was into in upstate NY. And he'd also have some great WCW Is Actual Garbage Wrestling tales. I also love that, even though he's an out homosexual (and outed against his will by Spin Magazine, but he doesn't care anymore), he still goes to Catholic mass regularly.

And oh yeah, his best friend growing up was former Cincinnati Red pitcher/perfect game tosser Tom Browning.

What an amazing life story. His autobiography is amazing. There's one chapter about his life in WCW and what he did (a lot of show running) and how much it meant to him that he got to be a part of an industry he really loved like we all love it. Fascination street.

• Like 1

I too have a love for Husker Du and wrestling, and enjoyed Mould's book, but he's generally thought of as kind of an asshole. I lived in MPLS in the late 80's-early 90s and people around town didn't have nice things to say about him. 

I brought up "American Made" in the WWE 2k14 and got to thinking: Was that theme ever over?

I remember when Hogan randomly came out to help Goldberg on Nitro and had on the yellow and red and came out to "American Made" to the most lukewarm reaction ever.

Hell today, if Daniel Bryan was getting a beatdown from the Shield and "Real American" comes on and Hogan comes trotting down the aisle, that place is gonna go apeshit. 

How can EVOLVE draw such poor crowds? Do they actually advertise their shows in the towns etc?

I really don't know. I know that outside of the first Chicago show, there's not a whole lot of advertising of DGUSA shows. Even the lucha shows booking the same venue with El Abuelo de El Hijo Del Wagner III have flyers up at bus stops. 

I just don't get the business model at all nor why it doesn't draw for shit. Regardless of what you think about the wrestling, there are plenty of people who want to see that and pay for it at similar shows. 

Sometimes I imagine Gabe leaving RoH and him doing the Jerry McGuire scene towards the audience. Except there is no Renee Zellwegger. It's just Gabe and a goldfish.

This is killing me ... probably because I'm at work and full of the free times ... but:

1) Wag-ner or Vahg-ner?

2) What's Spanish for "intern?"  It'd be great - probably for me, only - if a "hijo del Dr. Wagner" gimmick was rather a "(Spanish for intern) del Dr. Wagner" gimmick.  So great, in fact, I may have found my rest-of-the-week mission, since the N64 and No Mercy are still hooked up ...

A few questions about the Evolve shows over the weekend (keep in mind my only info comes from the recaps sent in to Meltzer).

Is it true the 9/22 show drew "100+" people? I mean, is that something to even brag about/mention?

Looking at the results, it's shows like this that make me hate indy wrestling. It just seems like such a wank-fest. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seeing that the Brooklyn show was held in a room like this makes me love indy wrestling even more.

Looks like Al Bundy's basement.

It's the Lyceum on 4th Ave. and President Street. I was there once for a show, it's not a bad little venue. The lights just need to be off. It's an old bath house that was abandoned for decaded after Mayor Kotch shut them down in the 80's.