DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

Didn't hate Dawson.  Good announcer and more genuine-sounding enthusiasm for The Product than a lot of their commentators.  Probably never lived down the time he didn't know what a chinlock was on NXT and Regal taking him to task for it.

How can EVOLVE draw such poor crowds? Do they actually advertise their shows in the towns etc?

... Davey Richards ...

*PBBBT* ... shit, sorry, sorry, I was *just* talking about this ... never mind ...

• Like 1

A few questions about the Evolve shows over the weekend (keep in mind my only info comes from the recaps sent in to Meltzer).

Is it true the 9/22 show drew "100+" people? I mean, is that something to even brag about/mention?

Looking at the results, it's shows like this that make me hate indy wrestling. It just seems like such a wank-fest. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seeing that the Brooklyn show was held in a room like this makes me love indy wrestling even more.

back to necro for a second.  1 has he been wrestling at all lately? , 2. is the choose death dvd any good?  Is it just a shoot interview or is it more of his story?  the summary says its a shoot and a bunch of a matches, but the reviews are still good.  any info?

Necro is a native of Morgantown, WV, and it is my understanding that he is back in the WV area now (married/dating a woman from that area). 

A small time two-bit carny worker from the Pittsburgh area that can no longer get booked by any of the legit promotions in that area started up his own promotion a few years ago running in PA south of Pitt. It is my understanding he lost his access to a PA license, so he recently started trying to run the Wheeling, WV area. 

So, this guy started advertising Necro for a show via youtube videos.  Necro was actually in the videos promising "family friendly action", and that he "would be there".  I guess when the show rolled around, the total attendance was 16, of which 8 were paid.  The main event was a scheduled "8-man scramble", but only a total of SIX WRESTLERS showed up.  I guess at the show it was announced that Necro had injured his leg, and he would be unable to compete, but that all proceeds from the show would go towards Necro's medical bills.

Carny. As. Fuck.

• Like 1

Honestly I haven't seen any Necro matches in a while, but his match against Joe a few years ago was the bomb diggity.

But that was in IWAMS... where Necro was regularly booked to slice himself up after being "discovered" by Pondo.

If Necro wasn't willing to do the crazy deathmatches, would he ever have made it out of the Texas indys? 

He worked Savio Vega  (TNT) in main event in Puerto Rico pretty much doing straight  Buzz Sawyer crazy brawler type stuff. 

Didnt Mistico also come into the company with a big head, which is one of the things they always warn people against when they get there? 

He had a rep for having a big head in Mexico.If you hire Kevin Nash you should not be surprised that you got what you paid for.

I don't believe the idea that no one on the WWE roster had worked with lucha or knew how to take his moves.

Rey had been using his finisher as a secondary move for a couple of years with Jericho doing  Atlantis finisher as a reversal. People knew how to take his moves.

WWE kinda had the right idea to bring in Mistico's top rival to make Sin Cara look as good as possible, but when they didn't pull the trigger on Averno, the whole Sin Cara experiment was doomed to fail. 

EMLL is always realy well booked and has heels ready to pair up with faces they are elevating. And so Averno was in a position where position of upcoming guy who beats Averno in his exchanges meant something.

I don't know if just being job guy brought in who eats Mistico's offense well would mean shit.

The WWE does a lousy job booking Cena or Alberto as faces, I have no idea why anyone is surprised that they did a lousy job with Mistico.

back to necro for a second.  1 has he been wrestling at all lately? , 2. is the choose death dvd any good?  Is it just a shoot interview or is it more of his story?  the summary says its a shoot and a bunch of a matches, but the reviews are still good.  any info?

Necro is a native of Morgantown, WV, and it is my understanding that he is back in the WV area now (married/dating a woman from that area). 

A small time two-bit carny worker from the Pittsburgh area that can no longer get booked by any of the legit promotions in that area started up his own promotion a few years ago running in PA south of Pitt. It is my understanding he lost his access to a PA license, so he recently started trying to run the Wheeling, WV area. 

So, this guy started advertising Necro for a show via youtube videos.  Necro was actually in the videos promising "family friendly action", and that he "would be there".  I guess when the show rolled around, the total attendance was 16, of which 8 were paid.  The main event was a scheduled "8-man scramble", but only a total of SIX WRESTLERS showed up.  I guess at the show it was announced that Necro had injured his leg, and he would be unable to compete, but that all proceeds from the show would go towards Necro's medical bills.

Carny. As. Fuck.

FWIW, the injury is real.

A few questions about the Evolve shows over the weekend (keep in mind my only info comes from the recaps sent in to Meltzer).

Is it true the 9/22 show drew "100+" people? I mean, is that something to even brag about/mention?

Looking at the results, it's shows like this that make me hate indy wrestling. It just seems like such a wank-fest. 

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seeing that the Brooklyn show was held in a room like this makes me love indy wrestling even more.

Is that the Brooklyn Lyceum?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Looks like Al Bundy's basement.

I can't remember what promotion it was for, but after taking some absolutely crazy bump, the ref went over to Necro and asked if he was ok, and he responded by mumbling "I should've been an architect".

If that would have happened in the legendary Joe match, that thing would have deserved every star in the group of five it would have received.

Reading about Freddie Prinze Jr. being attatched to the new Star Wars movie, and in the article it mentions his WWE run on the creative team.. then it says Bob Mould of Husker Du fame had a stint as a script writer for WCW?!

After the tour, Mould took a break from the music world to get involved with another passion of his, professional wrestling, when he joined WCW as a scriptwriter in 1999 for a brief period.[23] Creative differences with some of the other writers led to Mould's leaving the company and returning to music. The liner notes for the 2002 album Modulate thank some of the wrestlers he associated with, most notably Kevin Nash and Kevin Sullivan.

Reading about Freddie Prinze Jr. being attatched to the new Star Wars movie, and in the article it mentions his WWE run on the creative team.. then it says Bob Mould of Husker Du fame had a stint as a script writer for WCW?!

After the tour, Mould took a break from the music world to get involved with another passion of his, professional wrestling, when he joined WCW as a scriptwriter in 1999 for a brief period.[23] Creative differences with some of the other writers led to Mould's leaving the company and returning to music. The liner notes for the 2002 album Modulate thank some of the wrestlers he associated with, most notably Kevin Nash and Kevin Sullivan.

Yep! Bob talks about it a lot in his autobiography, too. He's a lifelong rasslin' fan.

People are talking about the Joe match like it WASN'T a garbage match.  He landed on his fucking head multiple times, he bladed gushers.   It WAS a deathmatch without gimmicks in the ring.  And as for Drake Younger, he still makes his name being basically suicidal, even in PWG.  Ridiculous bumps, drops and dives.  To me taking the risks he does is no different then being hit by lighttubes.

Let's not distract ourselves from the FACT that these guys do NOT get booked for their wrestling ability.

• Like 1