DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

On the Deathmatch topic: I remember reading that the reason Mr. Gannosuke and Kanemura had such big falling out was because they differed on how and when a deathmatch should be booked. Gannosuke believed that you just can't have a deathmatch right off the bat, it is something you need to build to (which was basically Onita's booking style during the glory days of FMW). Kanemura thought that it was better just have deathmatch after deathmatch.

Of course the story could be bullshit but if it isn't... as a fan, I prefer Gannosuke's approach myself. The deathmatch should be the blowoff to a feud the same way a cage match should.

James

Someone was talking earlier about wrestling discussion being in a funk right now, and that seems true, but can I just say that the last few pages of deathmatch/indy discussion along with the Ian Rotten thread have been great. Reminds me of my early days on this board.

I'm pretty tired of constant WWE discussion lately.

• Like 1

Necro's luggage got lost on the way to NYC once, so instead of going and buying or borrowing another wife beater from someone, he worked an ROH show in what he had on: Cargo Pants and a Dennis Kucinich for President 2008 t shirt. This alone would have been enough for him to win March Madness in most years. 

Also, if the Choose Death has the shoot I'm thinking of, he talks about getting knocked out in a match against Low Ki and coming to and thinking "I have no idea where I am, but there are a bunch of people staring at me and I'm pretty sure I'm in a fight". 

• Like 2

Necro's never interested me as a brawler or a worker, though i do recall the Joe/Necro brawls being decent enough (and I really liked the first one).  I don't believe for a second that he'd be booked as often or paid as well without the deathmatch rep.  Part of the attraction in booking him in, say, ROH is the car crash factor - seeing him in a different environment and finding out how he matches up with non-deathmatch workers.  I don't think he gets booked in ROH after the CZW war without that curiosity factor.

I don't really care about indie wrestling but Necro Butcher rules. A crazed redneck looking guy who skipped a few grades as a kid and is a history buff and and an ardent support of a fringe vegan presidential candidate who does garbage matches IS professional wrestling.I mean, I like Bret Hart or Dean Malenko as much as anyone else. But dudes like Sabu, Foley and Necro are why I love wrestling. LOVE. They make me question the purpose of life. Normal people spend their entire lives trying to avoid getting hurt. But those dudes embrace it. And Foley and Necro are also legitimately smart, well-spoken guys who should absolutely know better but don't. They go to places we'll never, ever go to. Garbage wrestling at its best is less car crash and more existentialist crisis. 

• Like 7

Necro does have a certain charisma about him, and could probably get way over if presented correctly, but that window of opportunity may have closed years ago now that The Wrestler's not in theaters. He's fairly decent on the mic, isn't he? He'd be one of those guys I'd try to sign if I were running TNA - the audience just might like him, and even if they don't, it's not like you're spending a fortune to figure out that he's not gonna work out.

Someone was talking earlier about wrestling discussion being in a funk right now, and that seems true, but can I just say that the last few pages of deathmatch/indy discussion along with the Ian Rotten thread have been great. Reminds me of my early days on this board.

Feel free to start a non-WWE discussion.  I was surprised by how much discussion I kicked up asking about Ultimo Dragon.

Part of the issue is that tastes changed and WWE gives people a lot more of what they want in 2013 than in 1999 or whenever and also that indy wrestling gives a lot less. 

• Like 2

Necro's luggage got lost on the way to NYC once, so instead of going and buying or borrowing another wife beater from someone, he worked an ROH show in what he had on: Cargo Pants and a Dennis Kucinich for President 2008 t shirt. This alone would have been enough for him to win March Madness in most years.

The best part of that was the guy behind me trying to start a "Strength Through Peace" chant.

• Like 3

Obviously my name comes from a deathmatch worker! I have a morbid curiousity of deathmatch wrestling, I will order Tournament of Death and IWA:MS King of the Death matches periodically even though I know they will be awful for the most part.  KOTDM 1995 has a lot to answer for!!!

I always enjoy seeing the "crazy guys that can work" like Necro, Balls Mahoney etc. Rather than the guys that stand and hit each other with lightubes types, IWA guys always seemed the worst for this, Corporal Robinson, Mitch Page etc.

Drake Younger is proof that some guys that do that style can work well outside the environment.  His move to the west coast, cutting out the deathmatches and hooking up with PWG is probably the best thing that could have happened to him.

I don't really care about indie wrestling but Necro Butcher rules. A crazed redneck looking guy who skipped a few grades as a kid and is a history buff and and an ardent support of a fringe vegan presidential candidate who does garbage matches IS professional wrestling.I mean, I like Bret Hart or Dean Malenko as much as anyone else. But dudes like Sabu, Foley and Necro are why I love wrestling. LOVE. They make me question the purpose of life. Normal people spend their entire lives trying to avoid getting hurt. But those dudes embrace it. And Foley and Necro are also legitimately smart, well-spoken guys who should absolutely know better but don't. They go to places we'll never, ever go to. Garbage wrestling at its best is less car crash and more existentialist crisis

I don't want to be a "beating a dead horse" kinda guy ... far from it* ... so let me share the first thing that popped in my head, to go in a different direction than I started:

As part of my line of work, I *suffer* through some of the most inane medication repping that goes on, the bullshit and tap-dancing they do to creatively as possible say, "We don't give a shit about patient care, just money" not-even-withstanding.

So, the other day, I'm just not feeling the shit at all, and this lady ... nice ass, cute in a pixie/fairy sorta way, but probably this product's #1 fan ... is pitching the anti-ADD med du jour, when a crisis happens that, suddenly, EVERYONE there viewing the presentation has to respond to.  Pixie corners me, the last one out, and asks me my opinion of the research into the med, "isn't it awesome?," and, being that her whole talk was a million miles away from where I was mentally, I admitted, "Sorry, my attention was elsewhere."  She laughed, pointed to her awesome Powerpoint dealio, and says, "We make a medication for that."

See bolded part of OP.

"I hear they make a chairshot for that."

Is it the 30th yet? ... I hate myself.

* "... Davey Richards ..."

"PBBBT!"

(Before anyone has a chance to bust my chops for all of July.)

Edited by nate
  • Like 2

A few questions about the Evolve shows over the weekend (keep in mind my only info comes from the recaps sent in to Meltzer).

Is it true the 9/22 show drew "100+" people? I mean, is that something to even brag about/mention?

Looking at the results, it's shows like this that make me hate indy wrestling. It just seems like such a wank-fest. 

Somewhat related, I can't be the only one who hates all these Dragon Gate inspired goofy names for titles. Open the Freedom Gate? Open the United Gate? I mean, they are absurd when Dragon Gate uses them (Open the Dream Gate, I mean what does that even mean?) but it seems just stupid when Evolve does it.

I wasn't that impressed with EVOLVE but I haven't seen a show since last year.  The matches were supposed to be the best in the world but they ranged from bad to average.  A lot of the top stars didn't know how to work outside of doing move after move.

The indy scene really stinks now since most of the good guys got snatched up for developmental.  Now, we're left with guys like the Young Bucks or Chuck Taylor.

A few questions about the Evolve shows over the weekend (keep in mind my only info comes from the recaps sent in to Meltzer).

Is it true the 9/22 show drew "100+" people? I mean, is that something to even brag about/mention?

Looking at the results, it's shows like this that make me hate indy wrestling. It just seems like such a wank-fest. 

Somewhat related, I can't be the only one who hates all these Dragon Gate inspired goofy names for titles. Open the Freedom Gate? Open the United Gate? I mean, they are absurd when Dragon Gate uses them (Open the Dream Gate, I mean what does that even mean?) but it seems just stupid when Evolve does it.

To be fair, Evolve is using DG's titles.

How can EVOLVE draw such poor crowds? Do they actually advertise their shows in the towns etc?

And if their shows are in fact total wank-fests, why doesn't Davey Richards work there?

He did. He was supposed to be the top star there, then he ditched them for ROH.

How can EVOLVE draw such poor crowds? Do they actually advertise their shows in the towns etc?

And if their shows are in fact total wank-fests, why doesn't Davey Richards work there?

Well keep in mind Evolve basically came into existence as a Davey Richards vanity promotion, so...

To be fair, Evolve is using DG's titles.

I know, but... pro wrestling titles called "Open the whatever Gate" are just... is there a better word than stupid?

I really don't know. I know that outside of the first Chicago show, there's not a whole lot of advertising of DGUSA shows. Even the lucha shows booking the same venue with El Abuelo de El Hijo Del Wagner III have flyers up at bus stops. 

I just don't get the business model at all nor why it doesn't draw for shit. Regardless of what you think about the wrestling, there are plenty of people who want to see that and pay for it at similar shows. 

Sometimes I imagine Gabe leaving RoH and him doing the Jerry McGuire scene towards the audience. Except there is no Renee Zellwegger. It's just Gabe and a goldfish.

• Like 2