DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

I'm hoping American Kickboxer II is the illigetimate son of the guy who used to post here. He's doing a "You never gave me anything Dad so I'm taking your name!!" gimmick.

He is not.  I do not know if there is any kind of formal relationship between the two, but AK2 was trained by frequent partner/opponent of AK1, Terek the Great. Both Terek & AK1 were mainstays of IWAMS, and deathmatch wrestling in general. 

Kickboxer 1 had a hand in training Kickboxer 2 as well.  Passed the gimmick on to him a year or two ago.  When AKB1 was still doing occasional matches, they teamed a time or two I believe, and also wrestled each other. 

And looking at that death match tournament.......Ganger is a really good friend of mine.  I knew he was booked to do a death match tournament for IWA DS..........I can't wait to ask him what a Carpet Strip Massacre Match is. I'll have to ask him after the show, of course.....because I'm sure if I asked him now, he wouldn't have any more of a fucking clue than I do what it is right now. 

• Like 2

Nikita (and any other workers who wanna weigh in),

I've always been curious: How are "garbage" wrestlers regarded by the wrestling community in general? Are they regarded as lesser/inferior in any way or afforded the same amount of respect any other wrestler would get? Not asking you to shit on any particular names or promotions, just more curious about how the overall "Deathmatch" thing is viewed by regularly trained wrestlers.

I've always been curious: How are "garbage" wrestlers regarded by the wrestling community in general? Are they regarded as lesser/inferior in any way or afforded the same amount of respect any other wrestler would get? Not asking you to shit on any particular names or promotions, just more curious about how the overall "Deathmatch" thing is viewed by regularly trained wrestlers.

Haha, my promotion is actually putting on a deathmatch tournament tonight. Being that I'm in a promotion that does a lot of "garbage" wrestling throughout the year, a lot of the hardcore guys get the same amount of respect as any other worker. We have both DH Smith and Necro Butcher on the card tonight and they are each looked at as big name guys who we respect the hell out of. 

Granted, go to some of the more conservative promotions and they will see this completely different. There are other feds here in Colorado that wouldn't book a guy like Necro and claim he can't work so it all depends on the fed and the wrestler. It's the classic Flair-Foley debate.

I'm sure there are lots of death match guys that can't work, but Necro is not one of them.

It is true but he is one of the most well known "garbage" wrestlers and the person most people think of when this topic comes up. Any well known guy who does deathmatches though is well known for a reason, he can work and take a lot of punishment.

I guess I could have phrased my question better. I was referring more to the guys who ONLY do deathmatch stuff.

Not to dodge your question, but there are more opinions than you'd think.  It isn't a clear cut thing where some guys are against it, and other guys are for it. 

My Personal Opinion: I think that there is a time and a place for every type of wrestling.  I think that deathmatches, when done right, in the right context, and in the proper venue, certainly have a place in the business, and can draw money.  However, I have always found that guys that rely heavily on deathmatches either have something wrong with them in the head, or just cannot work well enough (or don't care to) to have a spot somewhere without slicing themselves up.  I personally never cared for random use of glass/tacks/barbwire/etc. for no good reason at all, I just thought it was about a weird psychological thing for the guys involved to do that to themselves (like teenage girls that are "cutters"), mixed with a bloodlust from folks wanting to watch it.  I never understood why the IWAMS/CZW/XPW type promotions had the followings they did for that kinda stuff. 

As for the specific example of Necro that was brought up... do you think he would have the name value that he does if he didn't slice himself up?  Do you think he straight work is that good

• Like 2

Is being a "good" worker the biggest aspect of being booked?  Necro obviously gets bigger paying gigs because of the notoriety the death match stuff has brought him.  The same way that Sabu got huge on the indy scene because of the scars and the table breaking.  I love Sabu as a wrestler but truth be told his gimmick was so rock solid that it wouldn't matter if he stunk up the ring...people were going to buy the sizzle no matter how the steak tasted.

October will be busy as hell on the St. Louis indy scene.  Three shows for Dynamo Pro Wrestling, two for SICW(with Honky Tonk Man appearing at one show and Duggan at the other), and one each for St. Louis Anarchy, NWA Central States, and MMWA.  Anarchy show's main is Elgin/Kyle O'Reilly/Shane Hollister vs. ACH/Davey Vega/Mat Fitchett which be a fun bit of mayhem.

Honestly I haven't seen any Necro matches in a while, but his match against Joe a few years ago was the bomb diggity.

But that was in IWAMS... where Necro was regularly booked to slice himself up after being "discovered" by Pondo.

If Necro wasn't willing to do the crazy deathmatches, would he ever have made it out of the Texas indys? 

I've been curious for a while,I used to work in a plasma donation place and we learned your white blood cells replenish after a few days but reds take six weeks, which is why you can only donate full blood every few weeks. these deathmatch guys, especially the bjw roster, seem to lose a lot of blood, almost nightly such as the Ikkoutsen tournament they ran this year.

basically does anyone know if these guys have general ailments related to lack of blood and we joke a lot about the hep c stuff but there hasn't actually been any major outbreaks, does that mean the rumors about Ian are just that, rumors, is it harder to contract than thought, how can these guys do this style?

also Necro is the man but his star has faded big time and he looks terrible and can't go like he used to at all.

Me, personally? I despise "deathmatch" wrestling. I'm not against "hardcore" matches, per se...and like Nikita said: every style has a spot on a card. But the ultraviolent shit makes me nauseous.

But I run family-friendly shows. No blood, no light tubes, no staple guns. There's been hardcore brawls but most of the guys love that they don't have to get color.  There's too many kids in my audiences.  And you can still get your point across without the madness. We had a "streetfight" a few months ago where the only weapons used were a chair from the audience and a piece of RAIN GUTTER that the guys found when they brawled out the back door.  The crowd went apeshit for it.

• Like 7

I've been curious for a while,I used to work in a plasma donation place and we learned your white blood cells replenish after a few days but reds take six weeks, which is why you can only donate full blood every few weeks. these deathmatch guys, especially the bjw roster, seem to lose a lot of blood, almost nightly such as the Ikkoutsen tournament they ran this year.basically does anyone know if these guys have general ailments related to lack of blood and we joke a lot about the hep c stuff but there hasn't actually been any major outbreaks, does that mean the rumors about Ian are just that, rumors, is it harder to contract than thought, how can these guys do this style?also Necro is the man but his star has faded big time and he looks terrible and can't go like he used to at all.

Forget all that.  The combination of gross, sweaty, moist staph-ridden locker rooms and mats and hundreds of tiny open wounds is enough to make me wince. 

But I douse myself in hydrogen peroxide after walking past a Bikram Yoga studio.

I am most certainly not a worker.

But, to me, (and I know I've mentioned this before) pro wrestling works best when shows are a 3-ring circus.  The occasional bloody weapon filled brawl means a hell of a lot more if there isn't one every show (much less 4 on every card) and there is a reason why this match needed to have no rules, because of the story.

I've never been big into death matches, not because they nauseate me, but because they are meaningless.

^^^ What he said.

Incidentally, has anyone seen the results from that NEW show last night with Lawler vs. Striker?  I've been looking everywhere.

NEW Under the Stars 2 results:

Colt Cabana def. Jake Manning with a top rope splash

Rikishi, The Godfather, & Mikey Webb def. J Busta, Mark Shuman, & Gregory Edwards when Rikishi got the pin.

Cody Hall & Kevin Nash (w/ Scott Hall) def. The Outcast Killaz (Diablo & Oman Tortuga) after Cody hit the Outsider's Edge.

Romeo Roselli def. Joe Ausanio after Ausanio missed a top rope elbow

Jerry Lawler def. Matt Striker after the second rope fist drop. They built the match with the story of Striker planning to use the heart punch on Lawler so that he could replace Lawler on WWE TV. After the match, Lawler hit the Piledriver on Striker.

Brian Anthony def. Jeff Star after a suplex through a table to retain the NEW Title.

John Morrison def. Robbie E with Starship Pain in the main event.

• Like 1

Mention of Necro Butcher, I actually am more fond of his non-IWA-MS stuff, like his work in PWG. Plus, I was surprised Necro/Joe in ROH in 2006(? ... the CZW feud chapter) didn't seem like a bigger deal than it was.

WWE.com ranks the top 15 PPVs of all-time. As you would expect.. it's too WWE heavy but at least they have Spring Stampede '94 on there. I would have had it in the top 2 but what can you do.... 

Honorable Mentions:- WWF Summerslam (1991)- WWF Wrestlemania X (1994)- WCW Great American Bash (1996)- ECW Barely Legal (1997)- WWF Backlash (2000)- WWF/WCW/ECW Invasion (2001)- WWE Summerslam (2002)- WWE Bad Blood (2004)15.) WWF Survivor Series (1995)14.) ECW Heatwave (1998)13.) WWE Backlash (2009)12.) WCW Bash at the Beach (1996)11.) WWE Extreme Rules (2012)10.) WWF In Your House: Canadian Stampede (1997)09.) WWF No Way Out (2001)08.) ECW One Night Stand (2005)07.) WWE Summerslam (2013)06.) NWA Great American Bash (1989)05.) WWF Wrestlemania III (1987)04.) WCW Spring Stampede (1994)03.) WWF Royal Rumble (2000)02.) WWE Money in the Bank (2011)01.) Wrestlemania X-7 (2001) 

My post about it in the Matches That Rule thread:

Just read that article and I like nearly all the picks. No Mercy 2001 and No Mercy 2002 not even getting honourable mentions is wrong.

Bad Blood 2004Although its rollicking undercard included a fun Intercontinental Title duel between Randy Orton and Shelton Benjamin, Bad Blood 2004 is chiefly remembered for hosting perhaps the best Hell in a Cell Match ever, Shawn Michaels vs. Triple H.

Credit: wwe.com

Bullshit.