DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

Is American Kickboxer 2 a masked man of some sort? I really hope so, because I invision him as something like Mr. Wrestling 2. Except for a kneelift, he uses a JUDO CHOP followed by a round house kick.

Come to think of it, there was a guy in Fire Pro Returns who you could use who was a kickboxer. He wrestled in boxing gloves and mostly did kicks.

"ITS A HOUSE OF GLASS AND HE CAN'T PICK UP THE GLASS CAUSE HE'S WEARING BOXING GLOVES"

• Like 1

IWA-DS continues to be a thing in some fashion for no reason of note. Behold the Carnage Cup card. I expect much Hepatitis.

1st. Round brackets

1. Hostel Death Match "Angel of Death" John Rare vs. Kristian Kross.

2. Pat's Purgatory Death Match FreakShow vs. Yukon Jack.

3. Nail in the Head Death Match Bryant Woods vs. Jay Impact.

4. Smash, Pow, Boom Death Match. TANK vs. "Bulldozer" Matt Tremont.

5. Death Sea Circus Net Death Match. IWA-DS World Champion: Spidar Boodrow vs. California Death Match star: J.D. Horror

6. X marks the spot- tubes Damien Payne vs. Josh Crow

7. Carpet Strip Massacre. "Relentless" Ron Mathis vs. GANGER

8. House of Glass American Kickboxer 2 vs. Sid Fabulous

Never change, indie wrestling.

• Like 2

Also: there's "news" online that Rob Conway (the current revamped, re-watered-down version of the NWA World Champion), has decided to turn down a WWE Contract. Head-scratching on many levels.

They wanted him as a trainer. He didn't want to relocate to Florida. They hired Nick Dinsmore instead.
I'm sure I read that they offered him a new deal a few years back too, but he rejected it as he had a secure fulltime job he didn't want to give up.

Wow. I'm in awe of how perfectly you executed that. Well done. I somehow forgot all about that shirt.

Yep.  The Natural is one of my favorite dudes here, but that pushed it to a whole new level.  Bravo sir.

I clicked "like," in the absence of a "proposed marriage to this exchange regardless of my local community's acceptance of the love I have for it" option.

Thank you and for the others who liked it.

• Like 1

Not if its bad and turns people off which it did.

How in the hell would a 6 sided ring turn anyone off who wasn't gonna be turned off by TNA anyway?

Someone who wants good wrestling. "Geez they can't even get the ring right."If they used it on the occasional PPV like in No Holds Barred. It would have worked better. Instead it was just an eyesore that made tag wrestling problematic at best. 

I have no Earthly idea what you're talking about.

SIX SIDE RING GOOD SOMETIMES. BUT ALL TIME IT JUST BE BAD.

• Like 2

IWA-DS continues to be a thing in some fashion for no reason of note. Behold the Carnage Cup card. I expect much Hepatitis. 

1st. Round brackets

1. Hostel Death Match "Angel of Death" John Rare vs. Kristian Kross. 2. Pat's Purgatory Death Match FreakShow vs. Yukon Jack. 3. Nail in the Head Death Match Bryant Woods vs. Jay Impact. 4. Smash, Pow, Boom Death Match. TANK vs. "Bulldozer" Matt Tremont. 5. Death Sea Circus Net Death Match. IWA-DS World Champion: Spidar Boodrow vs. California Death Match star: J.D. Horror 6. X marks the spot- tubes Damien Payne vs. Josh Crow 7. Carpet Strip Massacre. "Relentless" Ron Mathis vs. GANGER 8. House of Glass American Kickboxer 2 vs. Sid Fabulous

There is no way that this can end well.

Silly death match workers.

Not if its bad and turns people off which it did.

How in the hell would a 6 sided ring turn anyone off who wasn't gonna be turned off by TNA anyway?

Someone who wants good wrestling. "Geez they can't even get the ring right."If they used it on the occasional PPV like in No Holds Barred. It would have worked better. Instead it was just an eyesore that made tag wrestling problematic at best. 

I have no Earthly idea what you're talking about.

SIX SIDE RING GOOD SOMETIMES. BUT ALL TIME IT JUST BE BAD.

Silliness.

Man, you know what TNA should do?  Something that hasn't been done a hundred times before, a hundred times better already.  Quit going back to an already empty well.  The six-sided ring combined with the X-Division, a strong tag division, and a strong women's division at least gave them the perception that they were markedly different than WWE at the time.  Right now they just look like a bootleg SmackDown with their confused blue branding, traditional four-sided ring, and all the focus on yet another tepid invasion angle with another tired heel authority figure angle on the horizon.

I just think they don't have the money or time to get over multiple divisions like that.  To have a true X-Division, Tag division, women's division and heavyweight division you need to have something a ton of people on the roster or you are going to run all of your matchups into the ground.  Plus, your good tag and X Division guys are going to want to get into the main event eventually so you need to constantly restock the pond.  Look at the X Division now and it is full of people that no one cares about.  There hasn't been anyone been in there since Austin Aries I have been interested in because they don't have the depth. 

Seriously, if I was running TNA I would forget about stealing from ECW and start stealing from NXT.  TNA needs big flipping characters that can catch a first-time watchers attention in one go and drive the action from there.  I have no doubt that Tyler Breeze would be the king shit of TNA in like 3 weeks.  They need less AJ Styles and more Robbie E.  Less Mr. Anderson and more Joseph Park.

1st. Round brackets

1. Hostel Death Match "Angel of Death" John Rare vs. Kristian Kross. 2. Pat's Purgatory Death Match FreakShow vs. Yukon Jack. 3. Nail in the Head Death Match Bryant Woods vs. Jay Impact. 4. Smash, Pow, Boom Death Match. TANK vs. "Bulldozer" Matt Tremont. 5. Death Sea Circus Net Death Match. IWA-DS World Champion: Spidar Boodrow vs. California Death Match star: J.D. Horror 6. X marks the spot- tubes Damien Payne vs. Josh Crow 7. Carpet Strip Massacre. "Relentless" Ron Mathis vs. GANGER 8. House of Glass American Kickboxer 2 vs. Sid Fabulous

There is no way that this can end well.

Silly death match workers.

After that syringe bullshit that's going around in death match wrestling, I wouldn't be surprised to see a spot where someone hammers a nail into someone's nostril, which is super carny, but somehow not at all something I want to see in a pro wrestling match.

WWE.com ranks the top 15 PPVs of all-time. As you would expect.. it's too WWE heavy but at least they have Spring Stampede '94 on there. I would have had it in the top 2 but what can you do.... 

Honorable Mentions:- WWF Summerslam (1991)- WWF Wrestlemania X (1994)- WCW Great American Bash (1996)- ECW Barely Legal (1997)- WWF Backlash (2000)- WWF/WCW/ECW Invasion (2001)- WWE Summerslam (2002)- WWE Bad Blood (2004)15.) WWF Survivor Series (1995)14.) ECW Heatwave (1998)13.) WWE Backlash (2009)12.) WCW Bash at the Beach (1996)11.) WWE Extreme Rules (2012)10.) WWF In Your House: Canadian Stampede (1997)09.) WWF No Way Out (2001)08.) ECW One Night Stand (2005)07.) WWE Summerslam (2013)06.) NWA Great American Bash (1989)05.) WWF Wrestlemania III (1987)04.) WCW Spring Stampede (1994)03.) WWF Royal Rumble (2000)02.) WWE Money in the Bank (2011)01.) Wrestlemania X-7 (2001) 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ0R0zASamQ

Random find in the "What are you watching thread."

And reading the comments I saw this:

"Some notes from 9.12 in Roanoke for the Thunder tapings. Hayabusa was there but was only going to be put on World Wide against The Frog." - The Wrestling Observer Newsletter: September 11, 2000.

Anyone know anything about this?

From an online (and pretty thorough) bio of Hayabusa:

Hayabusa would travel to Roanoke, Virginia on September 12, 2000 for WCW where through Johnny Ace he would be booked for the WCW World Wide tapings earlier in the show for photos to be taken for the Japanese magazines. Hayabusa would meet up with his former friend The Gladiator while there as well as meet others for the first time like Kevin Nash and Vince Russo. Hayabusa's scheduled opponent would be The Frog but at the last moment the match would be scrapped as someone in WCW would decide it was pointless to have a match with an outsider that nobody knows about being put in a match on TV even though it was just World Wide. Hayabusa would end up hanging out with Keiji Muto that night after the show and the two would decide to announce that they would be forming a Dream Tag Team of The Great Muta and Hayabusa for the January 4, 2001 New Japan Tokyo Dome show.

Posted Image 

Posted Image

Posted Image

I seem to remember something along the lines of WCW wanting to sign both Hayabusa and Sabu.  I know the signing of Sabu was held up by his ECW contract.  For some reason I want to say Hayabusa was never signed/used because he tried to "big time" WCW, but I may have that crossed with a story about Sasuke. 

FWIW, "Frog" was the former indy tag partner of Lodi, and was working as "Toad".  I believe he was under a developmental of some sort. 

I'm hoping American Kickboxer II is the illigetimate son of the guy who used to post here. He's doing a "You never gave me anything Dad so I'm taking your name!!" gimmick.

He is not.  I do not know if there is any kind of formal relationship between the two, but AK2 was trained by frequent partner/opponent of AK1, Terek the Great. Both Terek & AK1 were mainstays of IWAMS, and deathmatch wrestling in general. 

WWE.com ranks the top 15 PPVs of all-time. As you would expect.. it's too WWE heavy but at least they have Spring Stampede '94 on there. I would have had it in the top 2 but what can you do....  Honorable Mentions:- WWF Summerslam (1991)- WWF Wrestlemania X (1994)- WCW Great American Bash (1996)- ECW Barely Legal (1997)- WWF Backlash (2000)- WWF/WCW/ECW Invasion (2001)- WWE Summerslam (2002)- WWE Bad Blood (2004)15.) WWF Survivor Series (1995)14.) ECW Heatwave (1998)13.) WWE Backlash (2009)12.) WCW Bash at the Beach (1996)11.) WWE Extreme Rules (2012)10.) WWF In Your House: Canadian Stampede (1997)09.) WWF No Way Out (2001)08.) ECW One Night Stand (2005)07.) WWE Summerslam (2013)06.) NWA Great American Bash (1989)05.) WWF Wrestlemania III (1987)04.) WCW Spring Stampede (1994)03.) WWF Royal Rumble (2000)02.) WWE Money in the Bank (2011)01.) Wrestlemania X-7 (2001)

No When Worlds Collide WCW/AAA ppv?

WWE.com ranks the top 15 PPVs of all-time. As you would expect.. it's too WWE heavy but at least they have Spring Stampede '94 on there. I would have had it in the top 2 but what can you do....  Honorable Mentions:- WWF Summerslam (1991)- WWF Wrestlemania X (1994)- WCW Great American Bash (1996)- ECW Barely Legal (1997)- WWF Backlash (2000)- WWF/WCW/ECW Invasion (2001)- WWE Summerslam (2002)- WWE Bad Blood (2004)15.) WWF Survivor Series (1995)14.) ECW Heatwave (1998)13.) WWE Backlash (2009)12.) WCW Bash at the Beach (1996)11.) WWE Extreme Rules (2012)10.) WWF In Your House: Canadian Stampede (1997)09.) WWF No Way Out (2001)08.) ECW One Night Stand (2005)07.) WWE Summerslam (2013)06.) NWA Great American Bash (1989)05.) WWF Wrestlemania III (1987)04.) WCW Spring Stampede (1994)03.) WWF Royal Rumble (2000)02.) WWE Money in the Bank (2011)01.) Wrestlemania X-7 (2001)

No When Worlds Collide WCW/AAA ppv?

I'm more upset that Great American Bash 89 is at number 6, I think it should be higher but hell, it least it is at 6 haha.