DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

Not if its bad and turns people off which it did.

How in the hell would a 6 sided ring turn anyone off who wasn't gonna be turned off by TNA anyway?

Someone who wants good wrestling. "Geez they can't even get the ring right."If they used it on the occasional PPV like in No Holds Barred. It would have worked better. Instead it was just an eyesore that made tag wrestling problematic at best. 

I think the six-sided ring was a very good start on a road TNA stopped trying to travel.  That being "something that looks different than any pro wrestling that has been on U.S. tv. before."

Abandoning it, and going with their undefined, constantly shifting blend of WWE, ECW, and WCW doomed what little chance they had to take off, imo.  And dropping the six-sided ring was a symptom of that.

EXACTLY!  The six-sided ring was a great way to distinguish themselves, and show that they are different than what people are used to.  Saying that people would be turned off by it is stupid, because no one ever complained the action in UFC was too hard to follow because it was in an Octagon, and not a boxing ring like PRIDE/boxing.  TNA never used the ring as a trademark like UFC did, so it just ended up being a cosmetic difference that they pretty much ignored.  They never did things like having six-way tag matches or something to bring the ring into play.  In a way the six-sided ring was a Chekov's Gun - they either had to ditch it, or showcase it. 

Question for those who have worked in various sized rings: How much does it throw you off when you work, say, a 16x16 one night and a 12x12 the next? Does the additional/lessened space from one ring to another throw off your spacing and timing, and how conscious are you of it when you work a match?

When this happened to me, I always would spend a few minutes running the ropes before the shows, and by then I was ok.

The biggest thing to throw me off during a match isn't so much size or rope style but how much spring it has. I've been in some rings where I went to run across and damn near did a tope out of the ring.

I always made sure to arrive at shows as early as possible, for the sole purpose of familiarizing myself with the ring.  I always looked to see what the suspension system was (plywood/planks/spring/wood/metal), and what kind of ropes there were.  I climbed in and ran a few simple drills, took bumps, and ran the ropes. 

There is actually a technique to running the ropes, and once you familiarize yourself with a ring, it is easy to adapt. I always found it harder to adapt to a bigger ring, than a smaller.  There were a few times where I worked in a 20x20, and that was funkier than going from a 16x16 to a 14x14. 

I was never a guy that did a lot of stuff with the ropes (was heavyweight, not a flippy) so ropes didn't really bother me, unless they were just shitty.  Loose cable ropes suck.  I was always able to adapt to smaller rings by working more corner-to-corner, rather than side-to-side.  You always want to take a bump as close to the center as possible, so sometimes it is hard to do that in a smaller ring without going corner to corner.

I always had more trouble working in venues with low ceilings, despite not being a flyer.  I worked a fair amount of shows at bars/nightclubs that had maybe 8ft of clearance from the mat to the ceiling.  Some promoters that regularly ran venues like that built or rented shorter rings. 

• Like 3

I think the six-sided ring was a very good start on a road TNA stopped trying to travel.  That being "something that looks different than any pro wrestling that has been on U.S. tv. before." Abandoning it, and going with their undefined, constantly shifting blend of WWE, ECW, and WCW doomed what little chance they had to take off, imo.  And dropping the six-sided ring was a symptom of that.

EXACTLY!  The six-sided ring was a great way to distinguish themselves, and show that they are different than what people are used to.  Saying that people would be turned off by it is stupid, because no one ever complained the action in UFC was too hard to follow because it was in an Octagon, and not a boxing ring like PRIDE/boxing.  TNA never used the ring as a trademark like UFC did, so it just ended up being a cosmetic difference that they pretty much ignored.  They never did things like having six-way tag matches or something to bring the ring into play.  In a way the six-sided ring was a Chekov's Gun - they either had to ditch it, or showcase it.  

Question for those who have worked in various sized rings: How much does it throw you off when you work, say, a 16x16 one night and a 12x12 the next? Does the additional/lessened space from one ring to another throw off your spacing and timing, and how conscious are you of it when you work a match?

When this happened to me, I always would spend a few minutes running the ropes before the shows, and by then I was ok.
 The biggest thing to throw me off during a match isn't so much size or rope style but how much spring it has. I've been in some rings where I went to run across and damn near did a tope out of the ring.
 I always made sure to arrive at shows as early as possible, for the sole purpose of familiarizing myself with the ring.  I always looked to see what the suspension system was (plywood/planks/spring/wood/metal), and what kind of ropes there were.  I climbed in and ran a few simple drills, took bumps, and ran the ropes.  There is actually a technique to running the ropes, and once you familiarize yourself with a ring, it is easy to adapt. I always found it harder to adapt to a bigger ring, than a smaller.  There were a few times where I worked in a 20x20, and that was funkier than going from a 16x16 to a 14x14.  I was never a guy that did a lot of stuff with the ropes (was heavyweight, not a flippy) so ropes didn't really bother me, unless they were just shitty.  Loose cable ropes suck.  I was always able to adapt to smaller rings by working more corner-to-corner, rather than side-to-side.  You always want to take a bump as close to the center as possible, so sometimes it is hard to do that in a smaller ring without going corner to corner. I always had more trouble working in venues with low ceilings, despite not being a flyer.  I worked a fair amount of shows at bars/nightclubs that had maybe 8ft of clearance from the mat to the ceiling.  Some promoters that regularly ran venues like that built or rented shorter rings.
MCW used to run a fire hall with low ceilings, but folks like Christian York and Joey Matthews still did their top rope spots, often bumping their heads on the ceiling when standing on the top turnbuckle.

Edit: http://youtu.be/G7VbKGJtsEA

No wait, this guy is going to be huge.

I remember him from Irish indy shows and his feud with Sheamus and being in a short lived faction with the now Wade Barnett and Drew McIntyre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LDFMy8YL2o

He was a rather boring Wrestler then.

Not an expert on the French/mainland indy scene but I think he has been fairly inactive since the mid 00s.

To me, PG rated wrestling doesnt have to mean G rated wrestling.To me, i dont see how you can have the violence inherent in wrestling and have it be "G"I also doubt you could have a wrestling company owned by a corporation (Panda, Sinclair, ...) go full-on Attitude Era/ECW without complaints from a vocal portion of the audience and we know corporations don't want that attention.

I don't think it's actually 'G-Rated' but WWE tends to err on the side of caution in regards to the PG limits and that's the rallying cry you see behind fans who are so INTO TNA/CZW etc. "I don't like to watch G-Rated wrestling".  So, you take that prevailing attitude and you cater towards it: "This ain't your daddy's wrestling" "This is NOT TV-PG!" etc. etc.  I actually enjoy WWE much more currently than I did during the height of the  Attitude era, but there's a portion of the fanbase who feels disenfranchised by WWE going kid-friendly.  TNA is never going to defeat WWE head-to-head, or even come close, putting out the same style as WWE.  They could take a bigger chunk of the market, if they offered something different.

I don't know that you could go full-on Attitude/ECW, but you could use bleeped-out words and a little bit of blood to differentiate the company.  And if they started making money offering a more "adult" alternative, I'm sure Panda would welcome the change.

I've never understood why TNA doesn't go full Attitude Era/ECW.  Move it to later in the night, have blood, and sexiness, and lots of swearing.  It's not like Spike doesn't have shows with those things (They show some bloody movies, they have lots of fake blood in something like 1000 ways to die; their commercials have lots of scantily clad women; and 'Bar Rescue' is wall-to-wall swearing (albeit bleeped)) so I can't imagine that Spike would have too much of a problem with it.  And then you could rightly book it as "an alternative to that kiddie wrestling".  It wouldn't necessarily be a better show, but you'd have all kinds of people talking about how awesome it was and defending it because "At least it's not G-rated wrestling."

Don't they already do this? They had a camera guy outside interviewing fans and they were yelling "This is better because chairshots to the head! It's NOT PG" At least that's how it was when Ric Flair was there sneezing and bleeding every week. Didn't Abyss have a bat with nails sticking out of it buried into his back once? And he died but didn't die?

Either WWE talks to me like I'm an idiot child, or TNA talks to me like I'm a braindead 13 year old, who needs close ups of women's camel toes while they bend over the ropes in order to stay interested, because I haven't found my old man's Penthouse stash yet.

To be fair, I'm not really marketing this toward you, jae.  I'm talking the audience that feels insulted by not having adult wrestling on TV.  It wouldn't be very good, probably, but I think it would draw a better audience than WWE-lite which is how TNA has been ever since Hogan arrived: former WWE guys wrestling TNA guys in similar-looking matches, using similar moves, with noticeably worse music/effects/lighting and awful announcing.  It's like forming your own football league, stocking it with guys who have left the NFL and other guys who could never make it, with the same rules, worse graphics and music, and Mark Madden on commentary.  The XFL wasn't better than Arena Football, but it was different, and drew attention (At least at first).

See, I would have rather had TNA try to copy JCP or Memphis and do some form of old-school "southern rasslin'." Hell, even 1992-1993 SMW rip-off/tribute would have been awesome.

Well, personally, I'd rather they copy 1990s Michinoku Pro/WAR with crazy high-flying and weird tag teams, but would anyone except a few people watch it?  The idea of a Southern wrasslin' company would be great, but it would be too difficult to retrain mass audiences to appreciate something like that.

In terms of marketing to a big group of people, you'd be courting the ECW fans who miss the blood, the WWE Attitude fans who miss the boobs, and your average teenager who wants to see lots of both.

I may have overlooked this, were it mentioned elsewhere, but haven't I seen Chikara matches in best-of comps, where the height between top of the mat, at apron level, was as high from the ground as, say, Claudio's mid-thigh range?  Sup'wi'dat?

From today's observer update:

--Frenchy Bernard, a former wrestler who was more famous as a referee, who was the handler of Andre the Giant, passed away earlier this week in Ellerbe, NC. Frenchy and wife Jackie ended up living with Andre on his ranch and when Andre died he left the ranch to them. Bernard was 77.

Not if its bad and turns people off which it did.

How in the hell would a 6 sided ring turn anyone off who wasn't gonna be turned off by TNA anyway?

Someone who wants good wrestling. "Geez they can't even get the ring right."If they used it on the occasional PPV like in No Holds Barred. It would have worked better. Instead it was just an eyesore that made tag wrestling problematic at best. 

I have no Earthly idea what you're talking about.

Miz doing a "working hurt" face gimmick might actually get him over. Or not. It'll be interesting to see if he gets booked strong as a valiant/DDP-esque babyface moving forward...I

He'll spend too much time whining/bragging about it and everyone will end up booing him.

Also, I would never do Yoga because Miz told me to.

• Like 1

Man, you know what TNA should do?  Something that hasn't been done a hundred times before, a hundred times better already.  Quit going back to an already empty well.  The six-sided ring combined with the X-Division, a strong tag division, and a strong women's division at least gave them the perception that they were markedly different than WWE at the time.  Right now they just look like a bootleg SmackDown with their confused blue branding, traditional four-sided ring, and all the focus on yet another tepid invasion angle with another tired heel authority figure angle on the horizon.

Also: there's "news" online that Rob Conway (the current revamped, re-watered-down version of the NWA World Champion), has decided to turn down a WWE Contract.  Head-scratching on many levels.

They wanted him as a trainer.  He didn't want to relocate to Florida.  They hired Nick Dinsmore instead.

Sin Cara's problems in WWE are 90% his own doing.  He didn't want to go to developmental, he won't learn English, and he's clearly a bitch.  He quit a match because he jammed a finger.  I jam my fingers all the time.  I jammed a finger this morning and I'm here, I'm typing stuff right now.

• Like 16

I almost started a thread for this question, because it is really perplexing me: why don't most WWE matches start with a lock-up anymore, let alone some chain wrestling? Is this a directive from on high (Mr. McMahon, HHH)? I am used to the myriad stories that can be developed from a lock-up and I miss it.

old & in the way,

RAF

He quit a match because he jammed a finger.  I jam my fingers all the time.  I jammed a finger this morning and I'm here, I'm typing stuff right now."

"[Triple H] Tore his quad? Big deal! I tear my quad all the time! I tore my quad this morning! I’m here. I’m jumpin’ around!"

Nice Kurt tribute.

• Like 1

IWA-DS continues to be a thing in some fashion for no reason of note. Behold the Carnage Cup card. I expect much Hepatitis. 

1st. Round brackets

1. Hostel Death Match "Angel of Death" John Rare vs. Kristian Kross. 2. Pat's Purgatory Death Match FreakShow vs. Yukon Jack. 3. Nail in the Head Death Match Bryant Woods vs. Jay Impact. 4. Smash, Pow, Boom Death Match. TANK vs. "Bulldozer" Matt Tremont. 5. Death Sea Circus Net Death Match. IWA-DS World Champion: Spidar Boodrow vs. California Death Match star: J.D. Horror 6. X marks the spot- tubes Damien Payne vs. Josh Crow 7. Carpet Strip Massacre. "Relentless" Ron Mathis vs. GANGER 8. House of Glass American Kickboxer 2 vs. Sid Fabulous