DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

The Savoldi family, through the official Facebook for their promotion Wrestling on Fire, announced that Angelo Savoldi passed away today at the age of 99. At the time of his passing, Savoldi was the oldest living professional wrestler.

Old timer.

Another difference is that WWE rings are 20x20... and most other rings are not.  WCW rings were 18x18, I believe ECW were 16x16.  Most indy rings are 16x16... although I have worked in 14x14 many times, as well as some rings that had ridiculously tall/short aprons.

Ahhh, those "sunset flip always ends up in one or both workers touching the ropes" type rings.

The Savoldi family, through the official Facebook for their promotion Wrestling on Fire, announced that Angelo Savoldi passed away today at the age of 99. At the time of his passing, Savoldi was the oldest living professional wrestler.

Old timer.

No - the oldest is always Gypsy Joe, regardless of age, followed by Dory Jr.

But RIP to the third oldest worker in the business.

Samoa Joe was recently on Stone Cold's podcast. I think you need to go listen to that. I won't spoil anything.  Good show

You lied to me! None of my questions were answered. Great show though, it blew my mind how Kobashi thought no one would know him and wanted to work a evil foreign japanese match with Joe. I totally had to go back and watch his entrance for that match.

KOBASHI! KOBASHI! KOBASHI!

I'm not sure that it counts, since they're not wrestlers, but the Hogan/Bischoff run in TNA deserves some consideration for most disappointing run.  Very few positives and the company actually seems closer to shutting down than it did before they came in.

It's not like they underperformed expectations.  I can't be disappointed because I suspected they might have me wishing for the previous regime.

Hogan got more eyes on them initially. Unfortunately all those eyes saw a terrible show. At least Hulk killed that stupid six sided ring. "Oh but it makes TNA look unique."

But the fact is that it did, and anything that differentiates TNA from WWE is ipso facto a good thing.

I really don't like watching them work in a six-sided ring. I think some of the guys just looked awkward in it.

Besides, a six-sided ring is only an aesthetic difference, at the end of the day they're just trying to do the same shit as the WWE which is a huge problem. Because if I'm so turned off with WWE's shit and I go to TNA as an alternative and I see the same type of horseshit and in some instances worse horseshit...it's kind of like kicking a man when he's down, you know?

I've never understood why TNA doesn't go full Attitude Era/ECW.  Move it to later in the night, have blood, and sexiness, and lots of swearing.  It's not like Spike doesn't have shows with those things (They show some bloody movies, they have lots of fake blood in something like 1000 ways to die; their commercials have lots of scantily clad women; and 'Bar Rescue' is wall-to-wall swearing (albeit bleeped)) so I can't imagine that Spike would have too much of a problem with it.  And then you could rightly book it as "an alternative to that kiddie wrestling".  It wouldn't necessarily be a better show, but you'd have all kinds of people talking about how awesome it was and defending it because "At least it's not G-rated wrestling."

To me, PG rated wrestling doesnt have to mean G rated wrestling.

To me, i dont see how you can have the violence inherent in wrestling and have it be "G"

I also doubt you could have a wrestling company owned by a corporation (Panda, Sinclair, ...) go full-on Attitude Era/ECW without complaints from a vocal portion of the audience and we know corporations don't want that attention.

I've never understood why TNA doesn't go full Attitude Era/ECW.  Move it to later in the night, have blood, and sexiness, and lots of swearing.  It's not like Spike doesn't have shows with those things (They show some bloody movies, they have lots of fake blood in something like 1000 ways to die; their commercials have lots of scantily clad women; and 'Bar Rescue' is wall-to-wall swearing (albeit bleeped)) so I can't imagine that Spike would have too much of a problem with it.  And then you could rightly book it as "an alternative to that kiddie wrestling".  It wouldn't necessarily be a better show, but you'd have all kinds of people talking about how awesome it was and defending it because "At least it's not G-rated wrestling."

I think TNA should really look at ECW and try to mimmick it. The real ECW has been gone so long that they could take a lot of their storylines, style, and retrofit it to make some compelling television. Hell, bring in some deathmatch guys for an awe-factor and I think you have something. Put on a Necro Vs. Joe match and I guarantee people will tune in for some old school blood and guts.

Don't they already do this? They had a camera guy outside interviewing fans and they were yelling "This is better because chairshots to the head! It's NOT PG" At least that's how it was when Ric Flair was there sneezing and bleeding every week. Didn't Abyss have a bat with nails sticking out of it buried into his back once? And he died but didn't die?

Either WWE talks to me like I'm an idiot child, or TNA talks to me like I'm a braindead 13 year old, who needs close ups of women's camel toes while they bend over the ropes in order to stay interested, because I haven't found my old man's Penthouse stash yet.

Don't they already do this? They had a camera guy outside interviewing fans and they were yelling "This is better because chairshots to the head! It's NOT PG" At least that's how it was when Ric Flair was there sneezing and bleeding every week. Didn't Abyss have a bat with nails sticking out of it buried into his back once? And he died but didn't die?

Either WWE talks to me like I'm an idiot child, or TNA talks to me like I'm a braindead 13 year old, who needs close ups of women's camel toes while they bend over the ropes in order to stay interested, because I haven't found my old man's Penthouse stash yet.

Honestly I have felt like a lot of TNA's hardcore stuff came off as gaudy but I guess you're right, they tried and failed at hardcore too, maybe they should just give up haha.

I really don't like watching them work in a six-sided ring. I think some of the guys just looked awkward in it.

Besides, a six-sided ring is only an aesthetic difference, at the end of the day they're just trying to do the same shit as the WWE which is a huge problem. Because if I'm so turned off with WWE's shit and I go to TNA as an alternative and I see the same type of horseshit and in some instances worse horseshit...it's kind of like kicking a man when he's down, you know?

I think using the six sided ring every once in awhile as a gimmick would be fine. But all the time it becomes a hindrance., The worse thing is they did not do angle with the ring getting destroyed. 

There's always how CHIKARA talks to you.

Question for those who have worked in various sized rings: How much does it throw you off when you work, say, a 16x16 one night and a 12x12 the next? Does the additional/lessened space from one ring to another throw off your spacing and timing, and how conscious are you of it when you work a match? 

See, I would have rather had TNA try to copy JCP or Memphis and do some form of old-school "southern rasslin'." Hell, even 1992-1993 SMW rip-off/tribute would have been awesome.

I think the six-sided ring was a very good start on a road TNA stopped trying to travel.  That being "something that looks different than any pro wrestling that has been on U.S. tv. before."

Abandoning it, and going with their undefined, constantly shifting blend of WWE, ECW, and WCW doomed what little chance they had to take off, imo.  And dropping the six-sided ring was a symptom of that.

• Like 2

Question for those who have worked in various sized rings: How much does it throw you off when you work, say, a 16x16 one night and a 12x12 the next? Does the additional/lessened space from one ring to another throw off your spacing and timing, and how conscious are you of it when you work a match?

When this happened to me, I always would spend a few minutes running the ropes before the shows, and by then I was ok.

When this happened to me, I always would spend a few minutes running the ropes before the shows, and by then I was ok.

The biggest thing to throw me off during a match isn't so much size or rope style but how much spring it has. I've been in some rings where I went to run across and damn near did a tope out of the ring.

The only guy that ever seemed comfortable was Monty Brown, because that guy could hit the POOOUNCE!!! from any angle.

Also: there's "news" online that Rob Conway (the current revamped, re-watered-down version of the NWA World Champion), has decided to turn down a WWE Contract.  Head-scratching on many levels.

Samoa Joe was recently on Stone Cold's podcast. I think you need to go listen to that. I won't spoil anything.  Good show

You lied to me! None of my questions were answered. Great show though, it blew my mind how Kobashi thought no one would know him and wanted to work a evil foreign japanese match with Joe. I totally had to go back and watch his entrance for that match.

KOBASHI! KOBASHI! KOBASHI!

Mutoh had a similar reaction, IIRC.