DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

Does anyone else feel that wrestling discussion has been pretty dead in the IWC for the last few weeks or so? Nobody has been watching Main Event and fewer people than usual have been watching NXT/SD.

I personally stopped watching SmackDown when I noticed the last match/promo/angle/anything that they didn't just re-do on Raw was the Sandow/Cody briefcase deal two months or so ago.As far as Main Event goes, there's nothing to discuss. Quality matches or no, nobody is going to care about a show where nothing happens.

The WWE performance center has a new toy.

That was pretty awesome.  WWE needs to use that for a new Raw opening ASAP.

Also, Emma's slow-mo hair toss...

Oh jeez, super slow mo in wrestling could be the best, especially for promo packages and show openings.

I can't imagine a guy like Harley Race going around shaking everyone's hand fifty goddamn times. 

I can imagine Harley getting into one of those test of strength handshake deals with everyone he meets to prove who the bigger man is. (answer = Harley)

Well, that was supposedly the impetus behind the kayfabe handshake. If you are familiar with the Kayfabe Handshake, but always wondered why wrestlers did it that way, this is exactly the reason. 

Like I said though, not everyone still does it. 

• Like 1

As far as Main Event goes, there's nothing to discuss. Quality matches or no, nobody is going to care about a show where nothing happens.

Maybe not a lot of people, but I for one don't need much to happen on a wrestling show outside of wrestling. 

What am I missing on Main Event? What are the last few matches that are worth tracking down?

I think that wrestling discussion here seems narrower than even last year, I liked it when people were pimping matches left, right and centre. It felt as if I was constantly being led towards new stuff, or at least stuff that was new to me. Who was it that was always trying to pimp Vordell Walker matches? Is that Chilean lucha company still on the go? Why isn't Dean watching more obscure stuff for our amusement?

I could be more proactive with seeking out my fix but I know I'd have to wade through swamps of bad wrestling. And I'm lazy.

I think that wrestling discussion here seems narrower than even last year, I liked it when people were pimping matches left, right and centre. It felt as if I was constantly being led towards new stuff, or at least stuff that was new to me. Who was it that was always trying to pimp Vordell Walker matches? Is that Chilean lucha company still on the go? Why isn't Dean watching more obscure stuff for our amusement?I could be more proactive with seeking out my fix but I know I'd have to wade through swamps of bad wrestling. And I'm lazy.

The What Are You Watching thread is pretty nice when it's active. People are adding random indy stuff and old underrated classics. I think we should have more general match discussion. I think Yes/No threads are just the bees knees, so people can pop in and see what's hot this year. Purotopia is dead without 'em. One of those for US and Mexico would be great. I'd love to hear more suggestions as to how to facilitate more wrestling related dialogue. Of course. We could just start talking about wrestling rather than how we'll eventually talk about wrestling.:) Oddly enough the most posted sentiment in the "What I'll do on the new board" was watch more wrestling, talk about wrestling more, or lurk less.

As far as Main Event goes, there's nothing to discuss. Quality matches or no, nobody is going to care about a show where nothing happens.

Maybe not a lot of people, but I for one don't need much to happen on a wrestling show outside of wrestling. 

That is to say, "nothing" happens in that there has been maybe one match in the program's history where it wasn't apparent who was going over and how before the bell rings - the one match being the Intercontinental or US title switch involving Kofi or Miz or Barrett or whichever interchangeable placeholder was holding whichever interchangeable seventh-tier title. Which goes to show you how memorable it was.

I'm sure anything Cesaro's been involved in is worth looking into, but I don't know what else could be. (No, Christian isn't slipping my mind, he's incessantly boring)

I don't think the Raw discussion has fallen off at all - and I'd chalk that up to the big storyline making people care what happens again.

Does anyone know exactly how the ball started rolling on getting Main Event on the air in the first place? Who thought it was a good idea for WWE to have even more prime time TV time when they've been scrambling to fill the existing time?

Interesting post. I swear the folks that does the WWE magazine have no connection to what WWE typically does. Ignore every other facet of the wrestling world. Another example. Hell they even give Tenryu and Misawa shoutouts. Koji Kitao vs. Earthquake was ackonowledged. I don't get it.

In the early '90s, WWE presented a series of major events in the Tokyo Dome in conjunction with some of Japan's biggest promotions. Check out rarely seen photos from these shows with Superstars like Ultimate Warrior and Hulk Hogan battling Japan's best!:
http://www.wwe.com/classics/wwe-japanese-super-shows-photos

That would be Darren Corbin, he could manipulate time, some people were immune to it though...

And then the 1-2-3 Kid stole it from him. So I think it's a Minnesota virus now.

I have to admit, that kinda brought back the dislike of Waltman again, after giving him a pass from 2011.  Torn anus or not, you just don't steal a man's bread-and-butter gimmick.

• Like 1

On the whole "test of strength handshake" issue a bit earlier - an opinion I kept trying to post but my phone is a piece of shit - I'm usually about as impressed when some dude tries to crush my hand in a handshake as I am some fucking fucker on a message board gloating about his post count.  I actually have called a few gents - yes, even in professional settings, including, famously for me, a supervisor's supervisor - jackasses for that kind of impotence highlighting behavior.

(Wow, that last bit sounded like word filtering, huh.)

• Like 1