DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

Yes, you do... and when you leave. 

I would say that the drama around this is waaaaaaaay overblown, but apparently some folks do get their panties in a bunch about it in the WWE, so I guess it really important. 

On the indies, the degree of this varies by region. I have been to some places where workers only shake workers hands, but I have been other places where you shake hands with workers, crew, wives, etc.  Most places you just walk in, make the rounds and shake hands with everyone already there, and then take a seat and guys that come in later approach you.  I have been places and heard stories though where the top dogs expect you to come find them (and in turn, they then "big time" you and act like you are bothering them).

I can't imagine a guy like Harley Race going around shaking everyone's hand fifty goddamn times. 

As an amusing anecdote, Mr. Nick Bockwinkel will walk into the general lockerroom, even if he has his own dressing room, and not only shake everyone's hand, he introduces himself to each and every individual and asks their (often) gobsmacked names. The man is a super class act, and defines not only the honorific of "world champion" but he IS his gimmick. I have seen him treat the lowliest of indy scum workers (myself included) as you would think he would treat a seasoned veteran of ring and road.

honored, RAF

God damn I love Bockwinkel.

I can't imagine a guy like Harley Race going around shaking everyone's hand fifty goddamn times. 

I can imagine Harley getting into one of those test of strength handshake deals with everyone he meets to prove who the bigger man is. (answer = Harley)

- Hulk Hogan has reportedly been upset with TNA as of late. This is said to be due to the way that TNA handled Brooke Hogan's departure. Hulk felt that TNA should have informed him first and allowed him to handle it, but TNA made the choice to release her without giving him notice. Other reports note that it is around this time that communication between Dixie Carter and Hogan was breaking down. Last week's Impact taping in Cincinnati was reportedly the first time in a while that Hogan, Carter and Erick Bischoff were in the same place together. It was reported earlier that Hulk Hogan's TNA contract is up on October 1st.Credit: Pwinsider.com via wreslezone.com

I think the story was that he was asked to take a paycut (he's getting something ridiculous like $35,000 a show) and wasn't too happy. Throw in that he's been paid late and he may really be done with them soon.

Oh Noes!  Where ever will TNA find another hole in the ground to fling its money into?

Has TNA taken even a baby step forward since Hogan came aboard?  I do think getting away from the Impact Zone and airing live instead of taped are steps in the right direction, but they haven't come close to paying off for TNA and none of the other Hogan/Bisch stuff has amounted to more than bluster.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Well, no, wait a minute now.  Maybe now that we've gotten to the feud with "Be a Star" Ryback, we can FINALLY get the conclusion of what Punk was going into in that first "shoot" promo in '11, when he mentioned the anti-bullying campaign but the mic was cut off.  Now we FINALLY can know the truth!!

From the slippery slope file from pwinsider.com:

An Elite member wrote me to tell me that he called Cox Cable and asked for a refund due to the finish of the Night Of Champions PPV being overturned. He said that Cox eventually gave it to him and the representative told him that other people had asked for a refund for the same reason.

Cox is my cable company as well so I called my representative and was told that indeed other people have already called and gotten refunds, feeling that by invalidating the finish of the show that they paid for, they deserved it. This could become a slippery slope for wrestling companies.

So I wrote a blurb about this for Awful Announcing, and we got an unsolicited statement from WWE.

“While certain fans may not have liked the continuing storyline following Night of Champions, we’re certain that the 3-hour pay-per-view event delivered all the entertainment and excitement expected from WWE.”  

Brilliant.

From the slippery slope file from pwinsider.com:

An Elite member wrote me to tell me that he called Cox Cable and asked for a refund due to the finish of the Night Of Champions PPV being overturned. He said that Cox eventually gave it to him and the representative told him that other people had asked for a refund for the same reason.

Cox is my cable company as well so I called my representative and was told that indeed other people have already called and gotten refunds, feeling that by invalidating the finish of the show that they paid for, they deserved it. This could become a slippery slope for wrestling companies.

we got an unsolicited statement from WWE.

“While certain fans may not have liked the continuing storyline following Night of Champions, we’re certain that the 3-hour pay-per-view event delivered all the entertainment and excitement expected from WWE.”  

Wrong.

Does anyone else feel that wrestling discussion has been pretty dead in the IWC for the last few weeks or so? Nobody has been watching Main Event and fewer people than usual have been watching NXT/SD.

Sort of. Discussion is mostly anchored to Daniel Bryan's Push, and that stuff is quite plentiful. RAW threads are bloated with it. I've found myself less interested in other goings on of the current North American scene(WWE B Shows, US Indy) and focused more on Japan and Mexico. And I also feel like there's less discussion of that stuff. It's not like I'm helping though.