DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

Your reading comprehension is off, Morgan is saying treat every other wrestling federation in the world like the NFL treats college football teams.  Don't be afraid to mention them, but make sure and get across that EVERY wrestler's dream is to make it to the WWE.

The fact that you understood what I intended, even though American Football is not international, sort of makes my point.  MLB, not Baseball in general, but MLB Specifically has this huge development path, but you rarely hear about the colleges or the minor league grooming that players have received.  You will here nationalities, and occasionally if its a local player coming home even if hes on the opposing team, you will hear about it.  But NFL broadcasts ALWAYS talk about "such and such player from This here school" 

Which is what I meant when I said the WWE should treat the guys they are getting from the Indy's like the NFL treats is players, talk about how they came up, what they managed to accomplish.  It would make the Wrestling World seem bigger, and make making it to the WWE a bigger deal to those who might not be aware of anything outside that bubble.

• Like 2

- Hulk Hogan has reportedly been upset with TNA as of late. This is said to be due to the way that TNA handled Brooke Hogan's departure. Hulk felt that TNA should have informed him first and allowed him to handle it, but TNA made the choice to release her without giving him notice. Other reports note that it is around this time that communication between Dixie Carter and Hogan was breaking down. Last week's Impact taping in Cincinnati was reportedly the first time in a while that Hogan, Carter and Erick Bischoff were in the same place together. It was reported earlier that Hulk Hogan's TNA contract is up on October 1st.Credit: Pwinsider.com via wreslezone.com

Here's a general wrestling question.Okay, so I know that if you go backstage in a wrestling locker room you have to shake everybody's hand.Do the WWE guys do this every single time they go to a house show or whatever? They see each other constantly. It seems a bit dumb to have to do that every single night.

Here's a general wrestling question.Okay, so I know that if you go backstage in a wrestling locker room you have to shake everybody's hand.Do the WWE guys do this every single time they go to a house show or whatever? They see each other constantly. It seems a bit dumb to have to do that every single night.

It's just the new guys.

From the slippery slope file from pwinsider.com:

An Elite member wrote me to tell me that he called Cox Cable and asked for a refund due to the finish of the Night Of Champions PPV being overturned. He said that Cox eventually gave it to him and the representative told him that other people had asked for a refund for the same reason.

Cox is my cable company as well so I called my representative and was told that indeed other people have already called and gotten refunds, feeling that by invalidating the finish of the show that they paid for, they deserved it. This could become a slippery slope for wrestling companies.

• Like 2

What a bunch of babies, they got what they paid for from a scripted event. Would people do this kind of stuff with a movie or non-wrestling TV show? Probably not. To pay to watch a part of a story and then get upset when something happens in the next installment is just silly. Either these people are whiners or they saw an opportunity to try to get a refund for no reason in which case they're assholes.

Fuck.

I think I'm gonna start watching rasslin' again, Two Best Friends' RussleMania kinda lit a small fire about it and then I HAD to watch SummerSlam because Danielson was Busaiku Knee Kicking Cena on PPV and apparently CM Punk had the longest WWE reign since Hogan and Claudio is on TV and Generico is on TV and shit.

So, what happened since 05/06?

I think it's smart for them to acknowledge the rest of the wrestling world. It's the difference between being the only fish in the pond and being the biggest. If there are no other fish in there it's probably because the water's shitty and there's no way you'll convince the diners that the "brown cod" is a delicacy.

Honestly, that is why I watch very little WWE stuff.  Even though there has indeed been a lot of good stuff in the WWE over the years, the WWE style has just never been my preference.  When they became the only big game in town, they really ramped up all of the things that I didn't have a preference for, and to me it poisoned the pond.  WWE wasn't wrestling anymore, it was "sports entertainment" or an "action adventure male soap opera", and that just didn't jibe with me. 

So, no matter how great someone might say the stuff with Bryan (or whomever) is, it isn't enough to compel me to watch it regularly, and I really don't know what would.  I might get together with friends to watch a PPV, or check out a match online, but I cannot ever see me setting my DVR to record Raw, let alone tune in for three hours on a Monday.

WWE just feels so insular and doesn't feel as big of a deal kayfabe wise despite being the biggest wrestling company ever. There's WWE and then there's everything else. And I kind of like the feeling of being apart of everything else more. I wish WWE would join in.

That was something that I felt during my in-ring career, as I traveled to so many towns and was a part of so many good companies that featured so much good wrestling... and just nobody sees it.  There is just so much stuff out there that is just virtually ignored.  I mean, there are some five-star classic wrestling matches on youtube that some random indy uploads, and ends up with 400 hits.  Yet someone uploads a recording of a WWE videogame match between Kane & CM Punk, and 10000 people view the fn thing.  I don't get it. 

I agree that it would be better if the WWE would acknowledge how wrestlers get made.  It would even work into their mythos; the WWE is the destination, and while many are called, few are chosen. 

I think this is something that UFC totally gets right.  Although I don't watch it nearly as much as I used to (rarely actually), UFC always used to acknowledge that things like PRIDE or Vale Tudo existed, when it came time to build up a fighter.  I don't think that WWE would *ever* plug an ROH or TNA event, but there is no reason to pretend nothing else exists. 

For example, when they call up Chris Hero, they should run vignettes where he talks about how he learned his elbows from Misawa when he wrestled for NOAH in Japan, and that he was actually there when he died in the ring, etc.  Then they show clips of Hero throwing elbows and Misawa throwing elbows, and really try to get over how devastating the "Young KO kid" is. 

Instead, nope, Kassius Ohno just was some guy off the street with no history at all that walked into developmental one day and started sports entertaining. 

Here's a general wrestling question.

Okay, so I know that if you go backstage in a wrestling locker room you have to shake everybody's hand.

Do the WWE guys do this every single time they go to a house show or whatever? They see each other constantly. It seems a bit dumb to have to do that every single night.

Yes, you do... and when you leave. 

I would say that the drama around this is waaaaaaaay overblown, but apparently some folks do get their panties in a bunch about it in the WWE, so I guess it really important. 

On the indies, the degree of this varies by region. I have been to some places where workers only shake workers hands, but I have been other places where you shake hands with workers, crew, wives, etc.  Most places you just walk in, make the rounds and shake hands with everyone already there, and then take a seat and guys that come in later approach you.  I have been places and heard stories though where the top dogs expect you to come find them (and in turn, they then "big time" you and act like you are bothering them).

I can't imagine a guy like Harley Race going around shaking everyone's hand fifty goddamn times. 

• Like 4

It's just saying hello. They don't specifically have to seek people out, but if they're there, then greet them.

When i worked for mcw, i just tried to stay out of the workers' way. If they went around to shake hands and came to me, i would. I felt that i went up to them, they would think i was trying to be above my station.

Same here when I was in UPW, although I did do it with the guys I personally knew anyways.

When i worked for mcw, i just tried to stay out of the workers' way. If they went around to shake hands and came to me, i would. I felt that i went up to them, they would think i was trying to be above my station.

It kinda varies I guess. Personally, if I worked at a place where there was a regular "ring crew" or trainees putting up the ring, I always made it a point to shake hands with them... I don't want anyone to think I look down on them, and I couldn't work if someone didn't put up the ring.  I also wasn't a bitch about helping set up chairs and shit... but I always made sure I was one of the first guys there. 

I worked ring crew for WWE, and the local guys at each arena are not allowed to initiate contact whatsoever with any WWE talent. Now, the boys would talk and hang out with the regular WWE crew, but I doubt that a guy like the Rock is going around and shaking hands with the pyro guys and stuff. 

Also, the "handshake" is different in different regions, and at one time was probably a "secret handshake" of sorts to distinguish true pros from the marks.  In some places, guys pretty strictly use the kayfabe handshake, and in other places, its just a regular ol' handshake. 

I think this is something that UFC totally gets right.  Although I don't watch it nearly as much as I used to (rarely actually), UFC always used to acknowledge that things like PRIDE or Vale Tudo existed, when it came time to build up a fighter.  I don't think that WWE would *ever* plug an ROH or TNA event, but there is no reason to pretend nothing else exists. 

For example, when they call up Chris Hero, they should run vignettes where he talks about how he learned his elbows from Misawa when he wrestled for NOAH in Japan, and that he was actually there when he died in the ring, etc.  Then they show clips of Hero throwing elbows and Misawa throwing elbows, and really try to get over how devastating the "Young KO kid" is. 

Instead, nope, Kassius Ohno just was some guy off the street with no history at all that walked into developmental one day and started sports entertaining.

I guess I just can't let someone agree with me.

I wouldn't go so far as to start name-dropping Japanese wrestlers or things like that.  The history of Japanese wrestlers in the United States is pretty informative as to how much the American zeitgeist cares about sports and entertainment outside of the United States.  Hong Kong and Japan have produced some of the best movies of the past 20 years, but Godzilla and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon are the only things that seem to float over here.  Truly amazing stuff, like Infernal Affairs or Battle Royale, get remade or ignored respectively.  I think we can all agree that Mutoh is one of the greatest all-around talents of all time, and he never managed to get above that always-a-bridesmaid position that Steve Austin, the biggest talent since Hogan, was stuck in before he found his gimmick.  Muta had his winning gimmick; it was his lack of English that held him back.  Tajiri, perhaps the most successful Japanese wrestler in WWE history, and one of the most charismatic guys they've ever had, was a permanent midcarder.

I'm reminded of a period where my hometown promotion, ECCW, was trying to run an angle with New Japan (which I'm not even sure NJPW was aware of) where Danielson teamed up with a couple local guys and started trashing the place and the ECCW owner called out Inoki.  Nobody in the audience knew what the hell he was talking about.  Western audiences seem to have a general idea that Japanese wrestling exists, but zero interest in the details of it.  To make a comparable, I bet everyone on the board could list at least ten baseball players.  How many Japanese baseball players could anyone list?  Ichiro?  How about players that never came to North America?  How many diehard baseball fans could list ten Nippon League players?

- CM Punk is currently banged up, and has been working through knee and ankle issues for several weeks. The Ryback attack at the Night of Champions PPV was done in part to give Punk some time off TV to recover. Speaking of Punk, there have been several discussions backstage about his future with WWE. Punk's WWE contract is up next summer, which has many wondering if he will stay with the company.Credit: Pwinsider.com