DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

It's about the context of the story, not whether it's realistic or logical.

If two wrestler's decide to tell me a story about one guy trying to break another guy's leg throughout the match and the guy with the nearly broken leg starts doing springboard dropkicks with no ill effects, that takes me out of the story. It doesn't have to be like a real life fight, it just has to have a continuity to what they're trying to tell.

I've seen several matches where a guy gets his arm worked on and his finish is a lariat. And that guy tries to use that arm for the lariat and it fails him. And the smarter guys(from a character standpoint) decide to switch arms. It's a cool bit of psychology, that makes a match that much more engaging.

It's not about being more realistic, it's more about the creating a story that connects with the audience through context.. You can do that with any style of match. There was a HUSTLE match in which a guy was shooting lasers. Psychology in that match was brilliant.

• Like 4

I'm not saying the parallels aren't similar. Some people are much more unforgiving with continuity errors than others in both comics and wrestling.

I agree with you that some fans can go overboard. I can't however determine if a person is just complaining because they feel they have to. On that I have no idea whatsoever.

Right, I'm not accusing you and, sorry if it came off this way, but not really meaning to accuse kigushi, either.  But it happens so much on this board (for instance, to the point where Kurt fucking Angle is a reviled wrestler!) that I wanted to start a dialogue on the issue.

In both cases, i'd say its a matter of degrees.

I used to be a terrible continuity nerd, but now, i'd rather have a good story.

If, for example, you have an issue of Flash where he fights Captain Cold but Cold was shown in JLA being in jail at the same time, thats nit picky and who does that really hurt? But, if you write the Flash as declaring incorrect Flash facts, when you know he is a scientist, that can take out of the story just as much as bad wrestling.

(This cycles back to the whole "would superman break someone's neck?" Discussion from the movie)

The last thing a wrestler does regularly that I feel like complaining about every time I see it is Del Rio doing the double knees to the arm (which is fine for setting up his finisher) but then going for a flipping pin afterwards.  Who is he going to pin from that???  I just don't get it.

Right, I'm not accusing you and, sorry if it came off this way, but not really meaning to accuse kigushi, either.  But it happens so much on this board (for instance, to the point where Kurt fucking Angle is a reviled wrestler!) that I wanted to start a dialogue on the issue.

It's cool it's cool. We may not be on the same page, but I think we're reading the same book. :-) Kurt Angle is hit or miss. He was working tag matches last year that I loved him in. He'd get hot tagged and would just go into wrecking ball moovez mode and it totally worked for me in that context. I do wonder sometimes if people get so attached to their point of view, that it keeps them from enjoying something. I've been known to enjoy a Davey Richards match, for example.... Twice, even.

I try not to ever put over my wrestling career on here, but I had to mention that I legitimately took an airplane spin for the first time in my 10 year career tonight.  It was the most awful experience I've ever had lol.

Wait, there's a wrestler out there who still does the airplane spin?  Who did you wrestle, Matt Classic?

It was a big 10 man tag, in a situation where there were almost as many wrestlers in the ring as there were fans in the seats.  Most of who were kids.  It was just a silly spot he(not I) wanted to do.  It got a pop.  I nearly hurled.

I try not to ever put over my wrestling career on here, but I had to mention that I legitimately took an airplane spin for the first time in my 10 year career tonight. It was the most awful experience I've ever had lol.

Wait, there's a wrestler out there who still does the airplane spin? Who did you wrestle, Matt Classic?
It was a big 10 man tag, in a situation where there were almost as many wrestlers in the ring as there were fans in the seats. Most of who were kids. It was just a silly spot he(not I) wanted to do. It got a pop. I nearly hurled.
You wrestled kids? You're my hero.

The last thing a wrestler does regularly that I feel like complaining about every time I see it is Del Rio doing the double knees to the arm (which is fine for setting up his finisher) but then going for a flipping pin afterwards.  Who is he going to pin from that???  I just don't get it.

He's trying to pick up a quickie pin just in case his opponent is a compete wrestling mark who is aghast because Del Rio didn't go for his submission move in defiance of all norms of wrestling psychology.

On another note, when the babyface challenger knocks out the heel champ then makes him tap at the end of the two shows before the PPV, that usually means they're just making him look strong so he is perceived as having a chance before jobbing on the PPV, right?

I try not to ever put over my wrestling career on here, but I had to mention that I legitimately took an airplane spin for the first time in my 10 year career tonight.  It was the most awful experience I've ever had lol.

Wait, there's a wrestler out there who still does the airplane spin?  Who did you wrestle, Matt Classic?

There's this little-known wrestler by the name of Daniel Bryan who's been known to bust them out in an obscure fed called World Wrestling -- er, something or other.

A 10-bear tag match would be pretty sweet.

... And reason enough to put Stephen Colbert in a paranoia-induced coma.

Since we're talking about Okada now, can I just mention how shitty the Rainmaker is?  It's a fucking short clothesline.  If it were a setup for something (a la Jake Roberts) that'd be one thing, but as a finisher I don't like it.

And yes, I realize lariats are a much bigger deal in Japan than the US, but still.

A short-arm clothesline isn't a lariat; your dislike remains justified.

Posted this originally in the Dave Meltzer thread by accident. Sorry!

Any how.

In regard to the "mark" talk & all the A.J. Lee on commentary discussion that came up in the RAW thread: I'm really attracted to A.J. Lee, so I feel I'm biased when a discussion about her comes up as I tend to side more with whatever paints her in a better light. I thought the picture of her crying when she got her own WWE T-Shirt was adorable.

That being said, tattooing the date of her title win, I think, is a bit excessive. Not just for her but for any wrestler that would do that.

"What," with a side of "huh?"  Maybe for dessert, I'll try the "... the fuck?"  She did this?  I missed this news.  Is ... is it creepy for me to hope she put it around her tailbone region?  All kinds of weird feelings, for every new relationship she ever has, ever (I know that assumes a lot about Ms. Lee, but, hey, I knew a girl who tattooed her first name on her lower back, so ... I forgot my point ... I know there is one; can y'all work that out for yourself? ... SSRI withdrawal, thou art a mother of fuckers.)

Since there is no ppv thread, thoughts on the main event tonight?Big show interference?Rhodes family interference?

Too early for the Rhodes' to get involved in a major way for Bryan. HHH/Shield interferes or Big Show turns to keep the belt on Orton for now.

Feels like a throwaway PPV where nothing major will happen. Then again I might not know what the fuck I'm talking about.

"What," with a side of "huh?"  Maybe for dessert, I'll try the "... the fuck?"  She did this?  I missed this news.  Is ... is it creepy for me to hope she put it around her tailbone region?

Posted Image

It's much less tacky than it could be.

Oh, and the short answer is that everyone in wrestling is a mark with the sole exception of Kevin Nash, and even he can be bought with a well-cut sports jacket.

• Like 1

"What," with a side of "huh?"  Maybe for dessert, I'll try the "... the fuck?"  She did this?  I missed this news.  Is ... is it creepy for me to hope she put it around her tailbone region?

Posted Image

It's much less tacky than it could be.

Oh, and the short answer is that everyone in wrestling is a mark with the sole exception of Kevin Nash, and even he can be bought with a well-cut sports jacket.

Another thought: Glad she won on a date that doesn't fall under that mm/dd/yyyy vs. dd/mm/yyyy hoolabaloo.