DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

A question, and a statement.

Is Buddy Rose the ref in the Wahoo vs. Bock match on Schneider comp 26? I seem to recall people saying he was a ref before he started wrestling (or during the time he did). 

If you don't get the Lucha set just saw off your leg. You will probably miss it as much.

Went back and watched Taker vs. Michaels at WM 25. My god what a great match. I wasn't a big fan of the 26 match, but this one is damn near perfect. Pacing, timing, psychology, false finishes....this match and Rock/Austin from Mania 17 are the perfect examples of the "sports entertainment" style of WWE main event matches.

It's been 5 years and I still thought Taker had him after he reversed the skin the cat into a tombstone. Taker's facial afterwards is absolutely priceless. The faceplant into the floor and Michaels' reaction afterwards, begging for the 10 count, trying to win by any means necessary is very believable. The whole good vs. evil, HBK praying to the heavens before the moonsault only to be caught for the tombstone....just fucking beautiful. Top 5 Mania match of all-time for me.

Great post. The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels at WrestleMania 25 was a classic, it's a top three WrestleMania match for me and a top five match in the history of the company.

RE: Signs; I went to my first TV taping summer of 2000. Of course my friends and I made as creative signs as possible. We made a worm that we could "wiggle" that we connected multiple poster boards with those gold medal brackets; for Scotty 2 Hotty. We saw it in a wide shot on TV and all marked out. Next time a few of us went back to a TV taping we had upper level seats, but right at the front row of the upper bowl, so we made a big Austin 3:16 banner and hung it over the front of the rail a la "if Cena wins..." sign was hung over the front side of that section. 

Security did confiscate a breast implants/Stephanie McMahon I'd made for Y2J vs. Rhyno at SummerSlam. I got a little satisfaction because we used glue/glitter and I knew it hadn't dried fully and he totally got glue glittered in his nice blue security blazer. 

• Like 1

The two interviews WWE.com has up with Triple H are fantastic. He's really into the "heels do things they believe are right" thing. I think it will be a slow burn to him being a full on tyrant (like Vince was). Probably Daniel Bryan winning the title will be the thing that sends him completely crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6CTvR-33pU

In the Tanahashi/Okada match from 4/7, Okada kept using his injured arm for offense (elbow strikes and an HBK top rope elbow), then he'd immediately sell pain after completing the moves. I would be OK with foregoing injury logic during adrenaline spots (like for his Rainmaker lariat in the finishing sequence) but it's stupid any time else. 

Is there a context I'm missing here or is it just shitty psychology by Okada? 

I try not to ever put over my wrestling career on here, but I had to mention that I legitimately took an airplane spin for the first time in my 10 year career tonight.  It was the most awful experience I've ever had lol.

Wait, there's a wrestler out there who still does the airplane spin?  Who did you wrestle, Matt Classic?

In the Tanahashi/Okada match from 4/7, Okada kept using his injured arm for offense (elbow strikes and an HBK top rope elbow), then he'd immediately sell pain after completing the moves. I would be OK with foregoing injury logic during adrenaline spots (like for his Rainmaker lariat in the finishing sequence) but it's stupid any time else. 

Wouldn't shitty psychology be doing those moves and not acting like it hurts to do them?  It sounds more like possibly shitty cost-benefit analysis of doing a move that may hurt him as much as it hurts his opponent.

• Like 2

Posted this originally in the Dave Meltzer thread by accident. Sorry!

Any how.

In regard to the "mark" talk & all the A.J. Lee on commentary discussion that came up in the RAW thread: I'm really attracted to A.J. Lee, so I feel I'm biased when a discussion about her comes up as I tend to side more with whatever paints her in a better light. I thought the picture of her crying when she got her own WWE T-Shirt was adorable.

That being said, tattooing the date of her title win, I think, is a bit excessive. Not just for her but for any wrestler that would do that.

I've still yet to watch all of the G1 Climax tournament. It's just not going to happen. I'm starting to fall behind & I know they're about to have some shows in English now, so that's some bad timing. I did check out the Katsuyori Shibata Vs. Tomohiro Ishii match & it was awesome. I just will never have the time to watch all of everyday. So are there any other specific matches from the event that I should seek out?

Also, now that Monday Night Football has started, I doubt I'll be seeing much WWE for the rest of the year. Which is OK because I'm not a big fan of the main storyline right now. I know it's the minority opinion but I just don't want to see Daniel Bryan at the top of the card. And I'm not liking the Corporation 2013 either. So it will do me some good to take a break for awhile. I won't post/talk about things that I have not seen on the show though, I promise. :P

Wouldn't shitty psychology be doing those moves and not acting like it hurts to do them?  It sounds more like possibly shitty cost-benefit analysis of doing a move that may hurt him as much as it hurts his opponent.

To me that's character work. Okada is sooooo dumb, that he'd keep using an arm that hurts him to use, when he has three other limbs available to him. 

Since we're talking about Okada now, can I just mention how shitty the Rainmaker is?  It's a fucking short clothesline.  If it were a setup for something (a la Jake Roberts) that'd be one thing, but as a finisher I don't like it.

And yes, I realize lariats are a much bigger deal in Japan than the US, but still.

Since we're talking about Okada now, can I just mention how shitty the Rainmaker is?  It's a fucking short clothesline.  If it were a setup for something (a la Jake Roberts) that'd be one thing, but as a finisher I don't like it.

And yes, I realize lariats are a much bigger deal in Japan than the US, but still.

And it's shittier that the tombstone piledriver is the setup move. So knock the opponent unconscious on the mat, then immediately make him stand up him up so he can pirouette gracefully into the lariat. 

Several WWE guys have that as well, sort of. Like Orton executing the 2nd rope DDT before preparing for RKO, which requires the opponent to first stand-up. 

On a broader scale, can we talk about how nitpicking psychology is the wrestling equivalent of comic book fans getting hung up on continuity errors?  Many of my favourite matches (of which I would include Tanahashi/Okada) have or could be argued to have psychology / logistical / whatever problems.  Nearly every one of them, for instance, none of the wrestlers ever flinch or try to avoid it when another wrestler tries to punch them in the head.  Totally unrealistic!

If you don't like something, fine.  But the language of this sort of nitpicking always has the subtext of I-liked-this-match-a-lot-but-I-have-come-up-with-some-reasons-why-I-shouldn't.  This is wrestling fans not being able to have nice things.