DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

I am confused on my feelings about Renee Young. I think she got mixed up with Matt Striker in my hate receptors. 

Nothing to be confused about. Since she's been doing the backstage interviewer gig she's been tremendous. She actually brings a sense of realism with her style and subtle reaction shots.

• Like 3

Yeah but I first saw her on those horrible host segment on Classic Raw with Matt Striker. I hated those so much, I canceled my cable subscription. 

But then she seems nice enough. It confuses me. 

You're hanging onto feelings that were formed seeing her as a new WWE employee learning about the business who was working with Matt Striker. You're confused because you can't let go of things that angered you, yet you know she's good now.

Let go of those feelings, take a deep breath, and move on.

Oh and she's hot, so you probably wanna fuck her, as well.

Posted Image[/u

edit: (I know Striker sucked, but if ya listen to him on Cabana's show you'll love the guy.)

Yeah but I first saw her on those horrible host segment on Classic Raw with Matt Striker. I hated those so much, I canceled my cable subscription.

But then she seems nice enough. It confuses me.

You're hanging onto feelings that were formed seeing her as a new WWE employee learning about the business who was working with Matt Striker. You're confused because you can't let go of things that angered you, yet you know she's good now.

Let go of those feelings, take a deep breath, and move on.

Oh and she's hot, so you probably wanna fuck her, as well.

Posted Image[/u

edit: (I know Striker sucked, but if ya listen to him on Cabana's show you'll love the guy.)

You think being hot is a requirement for me wanting to fuck someone? Please....

I am confused on my feelings about Renee Young. I think she got mixed up with Matt Striker in my hate receptors. 

Nothing to be confused about. Since she's been doing the backstage interviewer gig she's been tremendous. She actually brings a sense of realism with her style and subtle reaction shots.

Renee Young squinting while CJ Parker is telling her about some exploding stars (or whatever he said) in the distance was one of the funniest subtle touches in recent wrestling history. Renee is awesome at her role. She adds to the segments but stays enough in the background to let the actual stars take front-and-center.

• Like 1

Yeah but I first saw her on those horrible host segment on Classic Raw with Matt Striker. I hated those so much, I canceled my cable subscription. But then she seems nice enough. It confuses me.  

I fucking HATE these segments.  "Hey, you're too stupid to figure out what was going on on this episode of Raw, let's explain it for you." 

But Renee is pretty good outside of that.

• Like 1

Finished the WarGames set, which ended with the WarGames 2000 match, and ... my god. 

Out of context, with no clear reference to angles in play for that thing ... what a piece of shit.  If there were 10 different moves done during the entire thing, you'd probably have to be rounding up to the nearest 10.  At the end of the thing, I was almost offended ... bordering on pissed off at myself(!) ... for having been put through that.  Definitely not a clusterfuck that can exist well in the vacuum of retrospect. 

When even your announcers make note of the absurdity of a premise that establishes the point of a wrestler having to scale to the top of three stacked cages to unhook a title, ladder match style, only to have the entire effort undone by first descending through the three cages and then escape the bottom cage - the bottom cage where an opponent can simply wait (having never scaled out of the first cage to begin with) and rob any wrestler of the title and then escape the cage himself ... what an offensive gimmick.  Not Katie Vick offensive, not half-black half-white Roddy Piper offensive, but sensibility offensive.  And, where serious pro wrestling scholarship is concerned, that's probably (arguably) the worst type of "offensive" there is.

Finished the WarGames set, which ended with the WarGames 2000 match, and ... my god. 

Out of context, with no clear reference to angles in play for that thing ... what a piece of shit.  If there were 10 different moves done during the entire thing, you'd probably have to be rounding up to the nearest 10.  At the end of the thing, I was almost offended ... bordering on pissed off at myself(!) ... for having been put through that.  Definitely not a clusterfuck that can exist well in the vacuum of retrospect. 

When even your announcers make note of the absurdity of a premise that establishes the point of a wrestler having to scale to the top of three stacked cages to unhook a title, ladder match style, only to have the entire effort undone by first descending through the three cages and then escape the bottom cage - the bottom cage where an opponent can simply wait (having never scaled out of the first cage to begin with) and rob any wrestler of the title and then escape the cage himself ... what an offensive gimmick.  Not Katie Vick offensive, not half-black half-white Roddy Piper offensive, but sensibility offensive.  And, where serious pro wrestling scholarship is concerned, that's probably (arguably) the worst type of "offensive" there is.

If I remember, Kevin Nash was in the bottom cage because he said and I quote "I'm not climbing up top". It was the Tower of Pain cage, except there was no Precious waiting at the door.

... And I think Wargames 2000 is 100 times better than Wargames 1998, which is legitimately one of the worst matches I have ever seen.

Yes.  That was fucking terrible, what I saw of it.  I didn't even watch it, as I made my way through the set, because (since I hadn't seen it before) I already guessed the ending.  To wit - a match for a World title shot, where the announcers cite, "9 of the world's best wrestlers," consisting of Nash, Hogan, Hart, Piper, Page, Warrior, Sting, Luger ... and fucking Stevie Ray.  A Star Trek away team red shirt scenario if ever I saw one.  Once I asked myself, "I wonder who pins Stevie Ray?" I realized I didn't give a shit.

Watching a lot of 1998-99 era Raw clips, could anyone that was there live ever see anything for the amount of "Austin" and "D-X" signs!

Its incredible the amount of people with a sign! Also, every show is like a post-WM Raw!  I was 18 at the time and watched most of it live, but re-visiting it is inredible!

About a year ago, I was complaining to a friend of mine that the WWE used to inspire people to create pretty creative art (smackdown drive / jabroni boulevard street posts, moving signs, etc.); at any given show, you would be able to look around and see all this creativity on display.  That's very close to, if not outright gone now, and a testament to how less interesting the product is.

On the other hand, I was at the RAW that Kid Rock performed on (the last televised show they've ran in Vancouver), and the same friend got into an altercation with a woman who wouldn't stop waving her fucking sign around and was blocking us all night.  So, take that for what you will.