DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

Watched the Mid-South set yesterday and found myself loving the shit out of One Man Gang vs. Big Bubba Rogers. Wrestling needs more huge fat guys kicking the shit out of each other. It would be "good for business" and great for America.

• Like 1

AJ dropping homophobic slurs while wielding a chainsaw is the strangest thing I've seen today.

I really think there is money to be made with a homophobic heel, particularly if it ends in with the heel getting beaten and learning something about inclusion and the importance of difference. I don't think, however, and major promotion has the subtle and care needed to pull it off.

"Suck on this 1.2 rating, Vince!"

"More people may watch WWE, but then again, more people like Myley Cyrus than Emmylou Harris. These men are by gawd ath-a-letes, not sports entertainers!" If it's so wrong to wanna see angry, bitter J.R. treat Impact like a two-hour YouShoot against Vince and the WWE, I don't wanna be right.

Only if this is how he debuts: 

Who would be Dr. Death's replacement in TNA?

AJ dropping homophobic slurs while wielding a chainsaw is the strangest thing I've seen today.

I really think there is money to be made with a homophobic heel, particularly if it ends in with the heel getting beaten and learning something about inclusion and the importance of difference. I don't think, however, and major promotion has the subtle and care needed to pull it off.

No, that angle leads to two other wrestlers having a brawl that goes into the bathroom, where it is revealed that the homophobic heel secretly suffers from a wide stance.

Have I mentioned yet my idea for the Masked Gay Superstar, a masked man claiming to be in the closet and under a mask so he can feel free to be gay who combines the homoeroticism of acts such as Goldust or Orlando Jordan with copying the movesets of various wrestlers (a different one each week) so as to imply that he might be that guy under a mask?

Wrestling fans might actually be the worst audience to try this in front of. Sounds like it would go over about as well as an anti-racism angle in 1960's Alabama.
  • Like 1

Wrestling fans might actually be the worst audience to try this in front of. Sounds like it would go over about as well as an anti-racism angle in 1960's Alabama.

I like to imagine what it would have been like if Heyman had done this in the 1990s in ECW.

"More people may watch WWE, but then again, more people like Myley Cyrus than Emmylou Harris. These men are by gawd ath-a-letes, not sports entertainers!" If it's so wrong to wanna see angry, bitter J.R. treat Impact like a two-hour YouShoot against Vince and the WWE, I don't wanna be right.

How did they do that? I remember them bringing lumber, cicular saws, and hammers out during one segment. They then unveiled the completed table in the next segment. This was all done in about 10, or 15 minutes.

How did they do that? I remember them bringing lumber, cicular saws, and hammers out during one segment. They then unveiled the completed table in the next segment. This was all done in about 10, or 15 minutes.

This makes me want to see a Secrets of Carpentry EXPOSED! special with Mike Holmes in the Harley role

• Like 2

The lead singer of Quiet Riot has really let himself go.

• Like 1

Cool reviews of the Mid-South set so far. As a west coaster who only grew up on WWE, I'll freely admit I know almost nothing, except of the notables that moved on to WWE. Since Stuttsy brought up the Greatest Rivalries set; its on Netflix and a pretty fun and enjoyable watch. The numbered list is obviously subjective, which WWE's own admittance to was a bit refreshing. Nothing really new per say, but its fun hearing from some of the guys who give their thoughts on the feuds. Road Dogg has always been well spoken and I enjoyed hearing his take on HHH vs Mankind/Foley feud. I wished they used him more on air today. Even Vicki Guerrero was nice talking about Rey vs. Eddie. As much of a fan of Miz I am, I don't know how much he actually added to his segment. As with many recent WWE DVDs and collections I enjoyed hearing and seeing those deemed as "outsiders" including Russo and Shane Douglas give their thoughts on different feuds. The host segments are skippable and the periodic table theme won't age well. I'm actually more inclined to search out the set based on the extras and matches included. I have vague or no memory of some of the actual matches featured. In my part to engage a talking point, as this point is there any real question that Austin vs. McMahon was the "greatest rivalry," within the WWE universe? As it got through the top 5 or so, I quickly realized they were going in that direction. I realize Mexico, Japan, international, and indies are ignored. Anyone else have thoughts on the actual set? I realize the actual list may/was probably already scrutinized. EDIT- Cody Rhodes' mustache will forever be remembered!

I liked the format of one person talking about each individual topic. Although Flair still managed to go out of his way to bury Buddy Roberts and do the one thing he's better at than spending money, which is make it All About Naitch.

I thought he gave Buddy credit as a worker. Miz comes across as a fair weather attitude era fan that lucked his way into a reality show. CM Punk had a hilariously wrong take on the Macho Man/Hulk Hogan feud. Starting with Savage did not need Hogan to beat Dibiase. The only thing I thought had no business on the list was HHH vs Randy Orton. They had enough modern shit on the list already and that feud sucked. I am confused on my feelings about Renee Young. I think she got mixed up with Matt Striker in my hate receptors. 

I thought he gave Buddy credit as a worker. Miz comes across as a fair weather attitude era fan that lucked his way into a reality show. CM Punk had a hilariously wrong take on the Macho Man/Hulk Hogan feud. Starting with Savage did not need Hogan to beat Dibiase. The only thing I thought had no business on the list was HHH vs Randy Orton. They had enough modern shit on the list already and that feud sucked. I am confused on my feelings about Renee Young. I think she got mixed up with Matt Striker in my hate receptors.

It was something to the extent of Hayes/Gordy were the stars of the Freebirds but anyone could have been put in Buddy's spot. And Punk saying "Hogan's not an EMT!!" when they showed the clip of him tending to Liz was a legit LOL. I think in part because as it happened live, someone in my living room (probably my father, but not 100% certain) said the same thing.