DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

Flair was really honest in that symposium, actually. I enjoyed it. Especially how sad he is about everyone from his WM8 match being passed away now except for him. 

Also, now that I am scrolling to his part again, he was so sad about putting his HOF ring in his Reid's casket, and getting choked up about Hunter giving him another one with his son's name engraved in it.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it and it didn't seem that terrible to me, and re-watching it, it still doesn't look terrible. 

I hope Goldust gets another run after that terrific match with Orton on Monday. I really hope that at some point in the coming weeks, Dusty gets involved in the storyline and cuts a good old fashioned American Dream promo on the McMahons. And I really, really want all of this to happen so we can get a Rhodes family vs Wyatt family feud someday. 

Kane has some of the greatest turns and returns from injury in wrestling history. They generally all wound up turning into nonsense down the road but just fire Kane returns or Kane turns into Youtube and you get some great stuff. Maybe that's how he's managed to survive a lot of silly booking?

Kane turning in to YouTube will be the first discussed angle on my new postmodern podcast, postmodern chair shot.
  • Like 3

Didn't Ric make some mention about Daniel Bryan's size and appearance? On the eve of the PPV he's main eventing at an event that's not part of the show?-+

I don't recall if Ric did. Vince did, on Raw, however.

Or if they figure out a Super Gay wrestling concept (The Gay-Ass Grappling Association?) to put on Bravo. Would you watch a comedy-oriented, homosexual-themed wrestling show with a lot of characters who seem ripped straight from Stefon's Weekend Update segments?

I'd watch.

There was an episode of Ru-Paul's Drag Race where the drag queens were trained by Joey Ryan and I want to say Oliver John to compete in the WTF! fed.

Jim Ross is retiring today.

WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross announced that he is retiring from WWE today, after 20 years of service, to focus on his personal business endeavors.

Jim has had a long and storied career at WWE, both on the corporate staff as well as his television persona, calling some of the most memorable matches in WWE history as the voice of Monday Night Raw and SmackDown for more than two decades. He made his debut with WWE at WrestleMania IX in 1993 and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007 by his long-time friend “Stone Cold” Steve Austin.

Jim has made many contributions to WWE and the sports-entertainment industry, and we thank him for his many years of service and wish him well.

When asked for comment, Triple H said it was "best for business".

SHOT!

*thud*

So if this really is the final chapter for JR - being fired for something someone else did - how will his treatment by the WWE go down in history?  To me, it seems pretty clear that he was aggressively taken off TV for the far inferior Michael Cole way before his time and then went on to be humiliated by the company for no obvious reason from then until now.

• Like 2

Listening to Flair on Austin's podcast revealed that the WWE guys weren't happy with Flair behavior at all, but the 2K guys and gaming dudes there all loved it.  I even heard the GiantBomb crew joke around on their podcast about how crazy Flair was.  They even told a story about how Alex asked Flair point-blank about his involvment with Red Alert 3 and Flair had no clue what he was talking about.

Also, here's a little something I made last night when I was bored.  Everytime I see a commercial of this show, I can only think of one thing:

Posted Image

*click to enlarge*

• Like 2

I haven't heard anything about TK since he was doing the Nikozuna gimmick in Mexico, and that was, what, the mid-90's?

EDIT: Looks like he was a semi-regular for that group in Italy that Rikishi was booking a few years back, which makes sense.  Didn't know he worked a Z1 tour in '02.

Tonga Kid is retired and living in Northern California these days. His son Jacob Fatu is currently training at Rikishi's KnokX Pro Academy in the Los Angeles area and working on their shows. Showing great potential and a pretty charismatic face, has the same aerial presence his dad did back in the day.

So if this really is the final chapter for JR - being fired for something someone else did - how will his treatment by the WWE go down in history?  To me, it seems pretty clear that he was aggressively taken off TV for the far inferior Michael Cole way before his time and then went on to be humiliated by the company for no obvious reason from then until now.

I'd bet money Vince will bring JR back at some point.  Da Meltz has hinted Vince genuinely enjoys humiliating JR, for whatever reason.  He'll probably get rehired for a short stint next time Vince wants to make fun of someone on camera.

Man, all the great stuff JR has done over the years and the first image that came to mind when I saw this item was Vince making the "Bell's Palsy" face on Raw.

One would hope Ross would be smart enough to realize that the only reason Vince would rehire him at this point is to humiliate him yet again, and so if Vince were to offer him a new deal he'd respond with an Ole-esque "Vince... go fuck yourself."

J.R. still needs Vince/WWE to sell his products on their website. I assume that increases the exposure tenfold compared to just selling them on his own personal website.

• Like 1

One of my comp students turned in her favorite travel experiences exposition essay today. She talked about her love of wrestling. She talked about going to Wrestlemania 29 to meet her hero, Stephanie McMahon.

Welcome to the Queendom, you guys.

I know he'd never do it and it's a horrible idea, but I'd love to see J.R. show up as the announcer for TNA in full Joey Styles in ECW mode: "This is real-deal by-gawd wrestling right here, not like that shit you see in Stamford. This is the future of our great sport we're seein' here, not that same ol' crap they're peddlin' up north!"

• Like 1