DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

My two-month old (as of today) nephew is definitely related to me. Was crying his head off after we had to go outside for a bit to wait for his brother's bus for pre-k, but after a diaper change and with some wrestling (in this case No Mercy 08) on TV? He was the happiest he's been all day.

Interesting to think that there are two different championships the WWE uses, the road belt and the HD belt.

EDIT: Fun fact I wonder if anybody notices but apparently there were two different sets of WWF Tag Title belts used in the mid-90s as one picture shows the Demolition with tag belts where "WORLD" is in red, then goes to Money Inc. who has a set where "WORLD" is in black, and then later on Edge and Christian have the tag belts with "WORLD" in red again.

There are multipile sets of belts the E carries around. Not only are there are HD Belts (TV), there are also sets for house shows, and public appearances.

In reference to the tag belts, there are at least four of five known versions of that set of tag belts,  the set that Money Inc. carried are known as the "Money Inc. version", the only teams to hold those were Money Inc. and the Natural Disatasters, briefly.

Doesn't Kane have a reputation for working really soft but in a good way? He has a good, believable monster offense but it's super simple (choke slams, etc.) that end in pretty well-protected bumps to whoever takes them. I also don't remember him ever taking any insane bumps, even in The Attitude years.Just goes to show that if working smart and having the ability to run with a character that in lesser hands would have been prime WrestleCrap material leads to a long career.

Well, Kane has probably produced more WrestleCrap material since he debuted than anyone else, so I don't know how he dodges that bullet.

Interesting to think that there are two different championships the WWE uses, the road belt and the HD belt.

EDIT: Fun fact I wonder if anybody notices but apparently there were two different sets of WWF Tag Title belts used in the mid-90s as one picture shows the Demolition with tag belts where "WORLD" is in red, then goes to Money Inc. who has a set where "WORLD" is in black, and then later on Edge and Christian have the tag belts with "WORLD" in red again.

There are multipile sets of belts the E carries around. Not only are there are HD Belts (TV), there are also sets for house shows, and public appearances.

In reference to the tag belts, there are at least four of five known versions of that set of tag belts,  the set that Money Inc. carried are known as the "Money Inc. version", the only teams to hold those were Money Inc. and the Natural Disatasters, briefly.

Good to be in the know. Apparently I was entirely too young to really notice the tag belt switches when they were happening haha. Thank you for that information :)

Doesn't Kane have a reputation for working really soft but in a good way? He has a good, believable monster offense but it's super simple (choke slams, etc.) that end in pretty well-protected bumps to whoever takes them. I also don't remember him ever taking any insane bumps, even in The Attitude years.Just goes to show that if working smart and having the ability to run with a character that in lesser hands would have been prime WrestleCrap material leads to a long career.

Well, Kane has probably produced more WrestleCrap material since he debuted than anyone else, so I don't know how he dodges that bullet.

Because he can recover from it.

Jim Ross is retiring today.

WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross announced that he is retiring from WWE today, after 20 years of service, to focus on his personal business endeavors.

Jim has had a long and storied career at WWE, both on the corporate staff as well as his television persona, calling some of the most memorable matches in WWE history as the voice of Monday Night Raw and SmackDown for more than two decades. He made his debut with WWE at WrestleMania IX in 1993 and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007 by his long-time friend “Stone Cold” Steve Austin.

Jim has made many contributions to WWE and the sports-entertainment industry, and we thank him for his many years of service and wish him well.

Jim Ross is retiring today.

WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross announced that he is retiring from WWE today, after 20 years of service, to focus on his personal business endeavors.

Jim has had a long and storied career at WWE, both on the corporate staff as well as his television persona, calling some of the most memorable matches in WWE history as the voice of Monday Night Raw and SmackDown for more than two decades. He made his debut with WWE at WrestleMania IX in 1993 and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007 by his long-time friend “Stone Cold” Steve Austin.

Jim has made many contributions to WWE and the sports-entertainment industry, and we thank him for his many years of service and wish him well.

When asked for comment, Triple H said it was "best for business".

• Like 3

Kane has some of the greatest turns and returns from injury in wrestling history.  They generally all wound up turning into nonsense down the road but just fire Kane returns or Kane turns into Youtube and you get some great stuff.  Maybe that's how he's managed to survive a lot of silly booking?

Because he can recover from it.

This.

He's a really talented performer. He's gotten past all the dumb Katie Vick/shooting lasers/tormenting Zach Ryder stuff. He's also really diverse in his skill-set. He can do monster/sci-fi type stuff or be the straight man in Team Hell No. He can be a guy who can carry a World Championship or be someone who can carry a mid-card angle. That's beyond valuable when you have all of that television to fill. He's definitely not the best in-ring worker but he's been decent enough. You don't need (and can't have) everyone working MOTYCs. He's the definitive solid hand of his era.

• Like 1

http://www.wwe.com/inside/jim-ross-to-retire-26147422

Jim has had a long and storied career at WWE, both on the corporate staff as well as his television persona, calling some of the most memorable matches in WWE history as the voice of Monday Night Raw and SmackDown for more than two decades. He made his debut with WWE at WrestleMania IX in 1993 and was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007 by his long-time friend “Stone Cold” Steve Austin.

I watched some of Kane's initial squashes trying to find one for the squash match thread and he really wasn't that over on his own to start.  However, a couple months later when they did the whole angle where Undertaker saved him and the brothers supposedly re-united, Kane was so over as a face.  They went and did the angle at the Rumble where he set Taker's casket on fire but they easily could have run with Kane as a face instead. 

Someone mentioned Kane/Vader in one of these threads and the initial confrontation between the two where Vader starts doing the Vader strikes on Kane gets an amazing reaction.  If you remove all the gimmicks, they did an amazing job building up Kane as a monster.  I think once you have that foundation, you get a lot of leeway from the fans in the future. 

• Like 3

Da Meltz is saying Vince pretty much fired him for not being able to control Flair at that WWE2K14 press event at Summerslam

The WWE's web site announced Jim Ross is retiring from the company to pursue other personal business endeavors.Ross met with Vince McMahon today where the decision was made to end his run with the company, which had had a few stops and starts, dating back to the 1993 WrestleMania show.The decision, which was made by McMahon, was first told to us by a source in the company that it was possible, if not likely on the day of SummerSlam, stemming from the now-infamous 2K Sports symposium where Ric Flair spoke at length about a variety of subjects.Ross took heat from management for not cutting Flair off and keeping the symposium to what it was scripted to be. Even though it was a 2K Sports symposium, and 2K Sports people had no problem with Flair's behavior, those in WWE were not happy with certain subjects and how they were brought up.Since nothing had happened for three weeks, many expected that the heat and blown over.

Good to be in the know. Apparently I was entirely too young to really notice the tag belt switches when they were happening haha. Thank you for that information :)

No problem, some of the changes are rather subtle and obsecure.

Flair was really honest in that symposium, actually. I enjoyed it. Especially how sad he is about everyone from his WM8 match being passed away now except for him. 

Also, now that I am scrolling to his part again, he was so sad about putting his HOF ring in his Reid's casket, and getting choked up about Hunter giving him another one with his son's name engraved in it.

Anyway, I really enjoyed it and it didn't seem that terrible to me, and re-watching it, it still doesn't look terrible.