DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

True or False:The WWE has enough talent to properly do a brand split.DiscussI

Enough talented wrestlers? Yes. Enough creative talent to maintain two shows of largely differing storylines? Negative.

This is an interesting question.  How many writers do the WWE have on staff?  How many writers does a comic book company have on staff, or just a specific comic inprint?  I bet the WWE has far more writers than, say, Ultimate Marvel, which currently has three (arguably) compelling and distinct storylines that frequently have important crossover events that span multiple issues of each title.

I'm much more inclined to believe that the problem with the WWE is the McMahon creative-cockblock at the top than it is a lack of talented individuals working for them

It's amazing how fans still have a positive raction to the Razor character even though the character was only around for a short period of time in the WWF, and never held anything higher than the IC Title.

It blows my mind that the Demos were only around for 4 years

• Like 1

Not sure about pop, but the loudest crowd I've ever heard for an entire match is the one for Austin/Dude Love w/ Vince as ref.  That place was unglued, and every time Austin tilted his head, they'd explode again.

That match would probably get my vote as the best from the Attitude Era. Great match.

It's amazing how fans still have a positive raction to the Razor character even though the character was only around for a short period of time in the WWF, and never held anything higher than the IC Title.

It blows my mind that the Demos were only around for 4 years

Actually, it's to do with how we perceive time related to our age. At 12 years old, 4 years is one third of our life at that stage (and pretty much half of our remembered life) whereas 4 years to a 32 year old is just one eighth of our life at that stage. Basically, 4 years seems like an eternity to a child, and not that long a time period to an adult. It's science, bitch.

It also means that in 20 years time, 30 year old guys are going to be waxing lyrical about the Corre.

It's amazing how fans still have a positive reaction to the Razor character even though he was only around for a short period of time in the WWF, and never held anything higher than the IC Title.

One thing is that Razor aligns, in part, with the Start of Raw, so he was maybe more of a weekly presence than he might have otherwise been.

I think these TV writers are a waste of time, and comic book writers would really get the eyeballz.

Getting Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker would be fantastic. Wrestling is a live-action comic book anyway.I had this weird dream awhile back about WWE being guest-written for like a month at a time. For example, what would a month of WWE look like written by Aaron Sorkin?...I was pretty low on sleep when I had this idea.

It's amazing how fans still have a positive reaction to the Razor character even though he was only around for a short period of time in the WWF, and never held anything higher than the IC Title.

One thing is that Razor aligns, in part, with the Start of Raw, so he was maybe more of a weekly presence than he might have otherwise been.

Razor was also a really cool character. Dressed cool, acted cool, and had cool music. Some kids in school were Bret Hart fans, but the majority in my school were Razor fans. 

Razor was also a really cool character. Dressed cool, acted cool, and had cool music. Some kids in school were Bret Hart fans, but the majority in my school were Razor fans. 

Were they a bunch of white kids who had previously hopped on the Vanilla Ice train?

I would think part of the reason would be that Hall was pretty much Razor in the nWo era, too. The only thing that was really different was going by his real name.

Were they a bunch of white kids who had previously hopped on the Vanilla Ice train?

There aren't a lot of whites in Hialeah.

Well he was portraying a drug dealer, basically.

Incidentally, am I the only one who can't help but read Corre with a rolling R and an accent on the E?

Like in the Conan/Seinfeld skit?

Sorry, not familiar with it.  In the immortal words of Douglas Adams, I'm so unhip it's a wonder my bum doesn't fall off.

• Like 1

I want a 3MB and 3 Count feud where the winner gets to keep the number 3.

Tank Abbott interferes and breaks his green square over McIntyre's head to give 3 Count the win and then we get a Behind The Music-style documentary about the break up of 3MB where it ends with McIntyre getting kicked out of the group and turning face.  Then Slater compares himself and Mahal to duos like Simon & Garfunkel, Hall & Oates, and Elvis & Costello.  Then they do a "Who's On First" bit where Mahal tries to correct Slater and tell him he's thinking of Abbott & Costello and Slater tells him he doesn't want to mess with Tank Abbott anymore.

• Like 5

The Razor's Edge was basically the coolest finisher in the history of the universe to a little kid in 1995. No wonder people remember him. Hell, my brother who stopped watching wrestling back in the early 90s still remembers it as The Diamond Death Drop and Hall as The Diamond Stud.

It was.  It was one of those "I know this is fake...but there doesn't seem like a way that move doesn't hurt...it must be the best."  If 1995-Me had seen the over the ropes Awesome Bomb, I might have grown up to be that "It's still real to me, dammit" guy.

I think these TV writers are a waste of time, and comic book writers would really get the eyeballz.

Getting Brian Michael Bendis and Ed Brubaker would be fantastic. Wrestling is a live-action comic book anyway.I had this weird dream awhile back about WWE being guest-written for like a month at a time. For example, what would a month of WWE look like written by Aaron Sorkin?...I was pretty low on sleep when I had this idea.

I feel like someone brought this up before, and the best idea to come out of it was Lauren Faust getting the book and creating Ring of Honor: Friendship is Magic. 

• Like 2