DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

I'm not a huge fan of that match (I actually prefer the rematch from the next year, iirc) but I love Rock working the hand spit punch into the Hulk Up.

Hollywood Rock made the rematch a lot more interesting that it would have been.

• Like 1

So, to recap for you guys just tuning in: Wrestling fans can't handle alternative reality games, but virtually every person who is a dedicated fan of other entertainment (movies, music) can.

Professional wrestling is it's own sub-culture with its own rules and continuity that for a vast vast majority of people that watch, they buy into or "suspend belief" to participate in as fans.  Pro wrestling is its own "alternative reality game".

I think that if Chikara is going the route of LARP, they are simply limiting their appeal to people that are interested in both pro wrestling, and RPG. 

Look at it this way: How many of the folks that occasionally pop on Raw and enjoy a couple of beers would even think of watching Chikara to begin with?  Now, how many of those guys are gonna read a 78-page thesis about Archibald Peck then check out a Chikara show?  Hell, how many of the people that attend Chikara shows (or buy DVDs) are willing to read that 79-page thesis? 

It is like the opposite of "selling out" - instead of diluting el producto to become more appealing to the mainstream, Chikara is becoming more obscure... which will drive some fans away while giving others giant boners.  It is similar to how if you have an indy that runs the occasional bloodbath, and that appeals to a certain loyal segment of the audience...so they turn the violence up to 11, and eventually it is non-stop blood and death matches - which just don't appeal to everyone. 

So I kind of enjoyed the pdf, it's all the elaborate detailed booking that Chikara specializes in, without any of the mediocre wrestling. This is them playing to their strengths and hiding the weaknesses.Of course there is a new Maragaret Atwood novel out too.

http://sphotos-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/q77/s720x720/1006361_683500851680056_804187752_n.jpg"HERE'S WHAT'S STRANGE ABOUT THIS PHOTOAs many of you guessed, the dog on my lap is not actually alive. She's not stuffed though; she's freeze dried. We lost our precious little dog, Jou Jou on New Years Eve 2010 from and my kids were just devastated. Seeing how down they were, I inquired as to whether there might be a way to kind of keep her around...and a year later, after the freeze drying process was through, we received Jou Jou in the mail, looking every bit as vibrant as she did in life. When an animal is stuffed, it's fur is simply stretched over a form. When it's freeze dried, what you get back is the real dog - all the bones, flesh and blood. The only thing removed are the eyes and the internal organs. Sure, it seemed creepy at first, but she's part of our family every day, and the freeze-drying idea, though costly and time consuming, turned out to be one of the best Christmas presents in Foley family history."We need to talk about Mick, guys.

It's becoming an increasingly popular move. There was an Animal Planet series "American Stuffers" about the family of an Arkansas taxidermist who specializes in the procedure.

I'm digging the War Games DVD set, but I'm curious, what's the quickest way to get fucked up via drinking game irresponsibility:

1. A shot for every nut shot?

2. A shot for every DDT?

3. A shot for every time a fresh entry on the face team comes off an Irish whip & clotheslines two heels simultaneously?

Either way, 5 matches into the set would fuck you up to your soul.

• Like 3

The beginning of the brand split was decent/pretty good, creative wise. I'm talking "A Show Raw" and "SD 6" era. There was just no depth. That's not the case now...there's a lot of talent that could use the tv/ppv time if the brands were totally split like before.

I

I've long maintained the problem with the brand split initially wasn't a lack of depth, it was a lack of long-term planning.  If it was a month where Raw had a PPV, Smackdown was in a holding pattern until the next month, instead of building up the next month's angles for PPV.

Also, they've got lots of guys they're not using now that aren't really in NXT, and feuds over the secondary (tertiary?) titles are almost non-existent, while feuds between mid-carders not involved in the barely existent title feuds don't happen.  They could make it work if they wanted to.

True or False:The WWE has enough talent to properly do a brand split.DiscussI

Enough talented wrestlers? Yes. Enough creative talent to maintain two shows of largely differing storylines? Negative.

This is an interesting question.  How many writers do the WWE have on staff?  How many writers does a comic book company have on staff, or just a specific comic inprint?  I bet the WWE has far more writers than, say, Ultimate Marvel, which currently has three (arguably) compelling and distinct storylines that frequently have important crossover events that span multiple issues of each title.

I'm much more inclined to believe that the problem with the WWE is the McMahon creative-cockblock at the top than it is a lack of talented individuals working for them

It's amazing how fans still have a positive raction to the Razor character even though the character was only around for a short period of time in the WWF, and never held anything higher than the IC Title.

It blows my mind that the Demos were only around for 4 years

• Like 1