DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

What was the last (original) ECW card in Philadelphia but not at the ECW arena? During the PPV era did they ever consider running a larger arena in the city? Is there anything there in size between the arena and the Spectrum or First Union centre? Seems weird that after their first PPV they never ran another one in their home town.

Looks like this was the last non-ECW arena show in Philly

ECW @ Philadelphia, PA - Southhampton Armory - March 4, 1999 (500)Chris Chetti defeated Steve CorinoAxl Rotten & Balls Mahoney defeated Tracy Smothers & Little GuidoJerry Lynn defeated Skull Von KrushSuper Crazy defeated Yoshihiro TajiriDanny Doring defeated NovaNew Jack defeated RoadkillECW World Champion Taz defeated Spike DudleyLance Storm defeated Tommy DreamerECW Tag Team Champions - ECW TV Champion Rob Van Dam & Sabu defeated Buh Buh Ray & D-Von Dudley

What was the last (original) ECW card in Philadelphia but not at the ECW arena? During the PPV era did they ever consider running a larger arena in the city? Is there anything there in size between the arena and the Spectrum or First Union centre? Seems weird that after their first PPV they never ran another one in their home town.

There were a few other spots bigger than ECW Arena. There's the Liacouras Center at Temple that seats 10,000. The Palestra is one of the oldest and best arenas in the country and seats 7,000. All of the other colleges (Drexel, La Salle, St. Joe's) also all have arenas biggest than the Arena. All of them also broadcast college basketball games so the TV production issues I remember the Arena having for live TV wouldn't happen there. But I think ECW's content might have kept schools from letting an ECW PPV happen on campus. TNA ran a PPV at Temple once, I believe.

I seem to recall going to an ECW show at Temple once. The content was pretty toned down.

Not sure about pop, but the loudest crowd I've ever heard for an entire match is the one for Austin/Dude Love w/ Vince as ref.  That place was unglued, and every time Austin tilted his head, they'd explode again.

The loudest reactions I ever heard live were Austin pops in Greensboro. The first time WWF came to Greensboro in several years was a week or two after Survivor Series '97. Then they came back for Unforgiven 1998 and a series of house shows and every single appearance from Austin was a huge enthusiastic pop. It's a very middle class market and he was unquestionably their hero.

During its last year, ECW was set to run at the E-Center (now Susquehana Bank Center) in Camden, NJ. It is a concert venue that seats around 5-7k indoors and is minutes away from Philadelphia. A couple weeks after tickets went on sale, the event was cancelled (probably due to lack of sales).

Question I'd like some help on:

How many tag teams, comprised of two competitors to a singles title (World, US, TV, Intercontinental) who are begrudgingly paired for a match against the tag team title holders of the time, would go on to WIN said tag titles?

Question I'd like some help on:

How many tag teams, comprised of two competitors to a singles title (World, US, TV, Intercontinental) who are begrudgingly paired for a match against the tag team title holders of the time, would go on to WIN said tag titles?

Follow-up: Is there a better example of someone who held a title that was so beneath them, and obviously only won it for story line purposes, than when HHH won the IC title during the Two-Man Power Trip?

Question I'd like some help on:How many tag teams, comprised of two competitors to a singles title (World, US, TV, Intercontinental) who are begrudgingly paired for a match against the tag team title holders of the time, would go on to WIN said tag titles?

Follow-up: Is there a better example of someone who held a title that was so beneath them, and obviously only won it for story line purposes, than when HHH won the IC title during the Two-Man Power Trip?
Ric Flair winning the US title from Konan?

Question I'd like some help on:How many tag teams, comprised of two competitors to a singles title (World, US, TV, Intercontinental) who are begrudgingly paired for a match against the tag team title holders of the time, would go on to WIN said tag titles?

HBK winning the Euro title.

Replace US title with IC title and Konan with Carlito.

By the time Flair won the IC belt, I don't think it was an issue.  He was clearly past his prime and not a world title guy anymore. The U.S. title was way worse, because it was clearly "lets give Flair something to do" while getting ready to put the big gold back on Hogan again.