DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

I'm inclined to take some umbrage at the "wrestling fans can't get into ARGs but fans of other media can."

I don't really dig ARGs in any form.  So, don't overgeneralize to me.

And in this particular case, I'm not going to hop a plane to Philly - can't afford it if I wanted to, and don't want to anyway - so I'm not particularly keen to have to wait until some Chikara fan gets on the forum there to post "well that was sumthing," so then I have to start posting questions about "what happened," "then what," "what then," and "I wonder what that's supposed to be a reference to."

So, to recap for you guys just tuning in: Wrestling fans can't handle alternative reality games, but virtually every person who is a dedicated fan of other entertainment (movies, music) can.

Professional wrestling is it's own sub-culture with its own rules and continuity that for a vast vast majority of people that watch, they buy into or "suspend belief" to participate in as fans.  Pro wrestling is its own "alternative reality game".

I think that if Chikara is going the route of LARP, they are simply limiting their appeal to people that are interested in both pro wrestling, and RPG. 

Look at it this way: How many of the folks that occasionally pop on Raw and enjoy a couple of beers would even think of watching Chikara to begin with?  Now, how many of those guys are gonna read a 78-page thesis about Archibald Peck then check out a Chikara show?  Hell, how many of the people that attend Chikara shows (or buy DVDs) are willing to read that 79-page thesis? 

It is like the opposite of "selling out" - instead of diluting el producto to become more appealing to the mainstream, Chikara is becoming more obscure... which will drive some fans away while giving others giant boners.  It is similar to how if you have an indy that runs the occasional bloodbath, and that appeals to a certain loyal segment of the audience...so they turn the violence up to 11, and eventually it is non-stop blood and death matches - which just don't appeal to everyone. 

• Like 1

I guess we'll all just go back to watching our 1983 copy of Florida Wrestling or some shit then, right? It's like nothing can be fun and different, and if it is - well, fuck them for trying to make wrestling entertaining.

Sometimes, just sometimes, wrestling fans can be way worse than hipsters or movie snobs.

• Like 4

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/277879-lanny-poffo-gives-wwe-permission-to-induct-randy-savage-into-the-hall-of-fame

In the past, Lanny Poffo, brother of the late Randy Savage, has maintained that Savage's wishes were for the entire Poffo family to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, otherwise he was not interested in being inducted by himself.

In a recent interview conducted for PWTorch.com, Poffo had the following to say regarding his brother Randy Savage being inducted:

"I gave them [WWE] permission to do it without my permission. Just don’t invite me and don’t pay me. I don’t need their 30 pieces of silver to defy my brother’s wishes. Kayfabe Commentaries had my best interview regarding the reasons Randy had for this position."

Wait, Lanny Poffo gave WWE permission to put Savage in the HOF without his permission?

Leaving aside the self-contradictory nature of that statement, couldn't Vince legally (as opposed to morally or ethically) do so regardless of what Lanny wants?

Wait, Lanny Poffo gave WWE permission to put Savage in the HOF without his permission?

Leaving aside the self-contradictory nature of that statement, couldn't Vince legally (as opposed to morally or ethically) do so regardless of what Lanny wants?

He could, but there would be likely blowback. It's an old interview.

Am I the only one hoping that Dusty and Dustin join up with Triple H and the gang somehow?

Well I would think they play up the fact that Dusty is a "general manager" for NXT on TV and a much bigger piece of the puzzle off TV.

Now that I think about it, I think we need a Brad Maddox for NXT.  That would be a perfect spot to bring Naylor back :D

• Like 1

Wait, Lanny Poffo gave WWE permission to put Savage in the HOF without his permission?

Yeah, but doing so against his family's wishes wouldn't go over so well.

Isn't that also the reason Owen isn't in?

If I was 20 and in college I'd be all over the Chikara thing probably. I am very much not though.

CHIKARA should be the last thing on your mind if you are 20 and in college.

You're right. I should have been focusing on my grades and not visiting some stupid green message board.

Yeah, but doing so against his family's wishes wouldn't go over so well.

Isn't that also the reason Owen isn't in?

Oh god, Martha would have kittens.