DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

Big E Langston @BigELangstonWho would've thought I wouldn't be the one to start a gang? #SmackDownA.J. @WWEAJLee@BigELangston We’re PMS. You can be Meat. Which reminds me, I’m gonna need that Pamprin on my desk asap.Big E Langston @BigELangstonI'm in. That is, only if you call your group finisher "The Red River" & scream, immediately before, "There will be blood!" @WWEAJLee

• Like 1

If you didn't read that Chikara PDF and get completely excited about the professional wrestling as a true high-concept art form then I have no time for you, sir.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading the PDF and am planning on watching the 2013 shows to see the build up to all of this and follow the PDF but like everyone pointed out, this is an east coast thing that you can't follow unless you are:

A.) On the east coast

and

B.) Following the message board 24/7 (See what I did there with the B? ;) )

I want to see footage and follow the storyline but if some of those posters aren't working that message board, I'm worried we might see a bunch of random nerds getting the shit getting kicked out of them by the police because they think they're standing up for Icarus and beating up "Condor Security". It is one thing to create a very interesting storyline and another to engulf a bunch of dudes lives with it and not expect some of them to react as if they are living in this Chikara universe and do something, well, stupid haha.

EDIT: P.S. I also asked Icarus where I could get one of those "I Am Chikara" shirts and he never responded. East coast bias :P

• Like 1

AJ makes it difficult not to love her.

Same goes for Big E.

Agreed.  Why is Big E not a face?  He shows a lot more personality as a face.  Is there really a need for "generic black power heel #43" in the WWE?

I swear... Vince really is allergic to making money.

As for Chikara, I read that .pdf when it was first posted.  I've never followed the promotion that closely, but I know some people who worked behind the scenes in the early days and I enjoyed the promotion around 2007-2010, when the Colony and Osirian Portal were fresh and they were phasing out some of the ridiculous gimmicks and bad workers.  I want to admire their dedication to long term storytelling and kayfabe, but..... there's a thin line between keeping up kayfabe and crawling too far up your own ass to know when it's time to stop working the marks (and yourself).  Quack passed that line a long time back and his promotion seems to be following his lead.  I've met Quack numerous times (enough to have an opinion on him as a person, not just a wrestler), so I definitely think he's working the marks just for the sake of working the marks.

Was it ever super-essential to know every detail of the complicated storyline to enjoy Chikara? I think the gigantic storyline was done because Quack knows there's a certain percentage of his crowd who would get into it. I think it certainly is ambitious, at least, and you gotta at least admire the fact someone could do a 78-page PDF on it.

I still betcha Chikara's done, though, and all of these odd little resurrection efforts are just meant to make people more interested in seeing the old Chikara guys wrestle in the new Wrestling Is ... promotions.

Just thinking about Umaga/Youmanga and three things come to mind: the awesome Last Man Standing match with John Cena at the 2007 Royal Rumble, the matches with Jeff Hardy and Umaga/Youmanga beating the shit out of people from Jackass on RAW.

• Like 1

I love Chikara but I never kept up with every little thing they did. Last time they came to Chicago I only knew major stuff like Wink was mixing up teams and the Archie/TD feud. The rest of the stuff I just picked up during the show, like Young Bucks are invading champs etc. etc. My family that I brought with me to the show knew even LESS than that and had a blast. I feel like it's the kind of thing that has enough nerd continuity for people to get fuller experience out of, but all the shows have enough "one off" kind of feel that you can have fun without seeing much of anything before or after.

• Like 3

I swear I don't mean to insult anyone with this sentence, but some of the posters on reddit have been borderline Asperger's status about it, and I really don't see the huge deal. I actually (quite embarrassingly) laughed at loud at work when I read a post suggesting that the whole angle would "change the game" like the NWO.

/r/SquaredCircle is the worst. 

D) Don't knock CHIKARA and then go to complain about how superficial and short-sighted TNA booking is

I do not like this argument, which I see quite often when people complain about the Chikara shenanighans.  Here is why: TNA's lackadasical booking & matchmaking are at the complete opposite end of the spectrum from Chikara's painstaking attention to detail.  However, both deviate too far from the center. 

Ideally, professional wrestling should be a balance between exposition, and in-ring action.  Both TNA & Chikara have problems with the exposition part of the equation, just in different ways.  The quickest way from A to B is a straight line, and TNA and Chikara are on two very different curved lines.

Can we ban the next person to use the "Vince is allergic to money" line? It's terrible.

I'm thinking creative filter ... like "allergic to money" becomes "gonna get in yo' butt." /stevieray

• Like 1

So, to recap for you guys just tuning in: Wrestling fans can't handle alternative reality games, but virtually every person who is a dedicated fan of other entertainment (movies, music) can.

Some of the guys on the board were threatening physical violence to Condor Security of they showed up, I'm pretty sure even the nerdiest Battlestar Galactica guys didn't try throwing down with the Cylons during any cons or fests....