DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

My favourite RAW, by far, is the one where they spent the whole two hours hyping up the return of Kevin Nash after a lengthily hiatus.  They hammered the topic all night long.  Kevin Nash will be getting back in the ring tonight; don't change that channel.  Finally, the main event rolls around.  You didn't really care that Kevin Nash was going to wrestle, but whatever, it's what they've been pushing all night, so you still have a bit of anticipation despite yourself.  But it's a six or eight or whatever-man tag match, and they draw out tagging in Kevin Nash.  It might have even gone to commercial before he gets tagged in.  Finally, the moment comes.  Kevin Nash gets tagged in.  He gets the big boot.  He gets the sidewalk slam.  Those sure are Kevin Nash moves, you say to yourself!  And then it happens.  Having exhausted the extent of his wrestling repartee, he goes to tag out of the match not 10-20 seconds after getting tagged in and what happens?  He crumples to the ground, having re-injured himself through the terrible exertion of walking from the middle of the ring to one of the corners.

Say what you want about your favourite joke.  The twists and turns it takes.  The adventure it ferries the audience on before arriving at its ending that is both surprising and yet, in retrospect, so obvious.  It has nothing on the magnificent setup and punchline of that RAW.

Oh god, wasn't that the Raw from July 2002 that also had the frankly-astonishing match with Tough Enough kids Nowinski & Gayda against Bradshaw & Stratus and contained the phantom bulldog?  I was literally just joking about that episode yesterday with some friends.  Now, that was a memorable Raw...

Real quick note:  Just did my monthly check on the progress of whatever Chikara is becoming.  Yeah ... glad I got out when I did.  On to October!

What was the specific revelation that has turned you off? As a relatively casual observer, I have found most of the stuff pretty interesting. 

Real quick note:  Just did my monthly check on the progress of whatever Chikara is becoming.  Yeah ... glad I got out when I did.  On to October!

What was the specific revelation that has turned you off? As a relatively casual observer, I have found most of the stuff pretty interesting. 

What's actually going on, because I have no idea what's happening.

Seconded. I just recently found out they stopped doing shows and have no idea the backstory....

Not just this set, any set.  The only time the early days got any love was when they released a set solely dedicated to that.  With anything else they do that involves best Raw matches or moments, pre Attitude era is very underrepresented.

I apologize for being late to answer this, but:

• Like 1

Seconded. I just recently found out they stopped doing shows and have no idea the backstory....

At Chikara's Aniversario show in June, before the Icarus vs. Eddie Kingston main event, Derek Sabato hit the ring claiming to have incriminating photos of Director of Fun Wink Vavasseur.  As the main event appeared to be drawing to a close, with Icarus about to make Kingston tap and win the title, Condor Security ran in and shut things down, kicking everyone out of the arena.

Shortly thereafter, Chikara cancelled all its shows for the remainder of 2013.

There have been a bunch of YouTube videos and websites and such since then, and people want to believe that the promotion's not dead. Many Chikara wrestlers are working in these "Wrestling Is" promotions that have sprung up, but Chikara hasn't officially announced anything new in over three months now.

See that's all I knew, but I thought nate was referring to something new. It kills me because my son keeps asking when Chikara is coming back and I have to tell him "Son, they hate you."

Thanks Mike Quackenbush. Thanks a lot.

• Like 3

To try and answer all Chikara posts:

I've enjoyed the wrestling and characters, since I really got into it about 2011.  I also liked that it was wrestling that I could watch with my daughter, and not worry about "holy shits" and sexual innuendo.  But when they shut down as unexpectedly as they did, it was a disappointment ... then came what I refer to as Chikara: The LARPing.  I was on the forums and there was all this conspiracy stuff about Condor Security and Titus Conglomerates ... then it appeared you had to visit three or four websites for some background on what was going on with Chikara ... then Icarus was meeting fans at all the places where shows after the June 2nd "last show" were scheduled then cancelled ... Some random posts on the Chikara 101 forum would get edited or deleted, which left gaping holes in commentary from fans, that only a few fans seemed to understand what was being talked about, leaving other casual fans in the dark.  Now, it appears as if 1) new videos are surfacing that are suggesting a "reboot" of Chikara "continuity" (sigh), 2) if you went to some website a few weeks back and plugged in your name and contact info, last week some posters on Chikara 101 received phone calls from some kayfabe aspect of Chikara, and 3) there's some big thing going on in Philly that Icarus is gathering, but there's possibly some other wrestlers coming along, and Icarus (in prior meetings with fans at other cancelled venues) may have left DVDs behind that have secret info on how to get deeper into the storyline-that-isn't-a-storyline.  Nope, too much; tap-tap-tap-tap.

• Like 1

See that's all I knew, but I thought nate was referring to something new. It kills me because my son keeps asking when Chikara is coming back and I have to tell him "Son, they hate you."

Thanks Mike Quackenbush. Thanks a lot.

My daughter asked me the other day if we could go see "Snake Man" (Ophidian) wrestle, for her birthday next year (when she turns 6).  I just patted her on the head and told her to finish her Calculus.

As much as I go on about hating talking in modern wrestling, the 87 Slammies was a super fun hour of TV. Hacksaw and Harley Race fighting all over the building. The Hart Foundation break dancing as Honky Tonk Man sings and the big musical number to close the show. I love how during the number, Bobby Heenan is all beat up. 

• Like 2

At Chikara's Aniversario show in June, before the Icarus vs. Eddie Kingston main event, Derek Sabato hit the ring claiming to have incriminating photos of Director of Fun Wink Vavasseur.  As the main event appeared to be drawing to a close, with Icarus about to make Kingston tap and win the title, Condor Security ran in and shut things down, kicking everyone out of the arena.

Shortly thereafter, Chikara cancelled all its shows for the remainder of 2013.

There have been a bunch of YouTube videos and websites and such since then, and people want to believe that the promotion's not dead. Many Chikara wrestlers are working in these "Wrestling Is" promotions that have sprung up, but Chikara hasn't officially announced anything new in over three months now.

They're doing an ARG. Next thing is apparently at the Rocky steps in Philly, for what I've heard.

This Chikara stuff is pretty stupid.  who has time to find some secret DVDs and decode cryptic messages.  I barely have time to watch a fucking 3 hour DVD, even when it is shipped directly to my house.  

Chikara: Hey....go find a DVD in a parking lot that someone may have left there.

Me: I have a job.  Go fuck yourself.

• Like 22

The uber nerd stuff doesn't bother me so much because...you know... they have a guy wrestling an old timey baseball player gimmick. I just want there to be a King of Trios tournament. Also I want a good indy to come to Chicago, coz I get bored and lonely.

Also, has anyone here been to any of the Wrestling Is... events? Are any of them any good?

• Like 1