DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

I haven't seen the Perfect/Flair retirement match in ages and I wonder how well that holds up. I remember that as a traumatic experience of my early high school years being that Flair was my idol (I call myself "The Real Life Heel"). But thankfully, he showed back up in WCW shortly with Fifi the Maid.

It's still pretty darn good. There's also Mr. Perfect vs. Doink from the same year that everyone should take a second to watch(there's more than one watch 'em all). And Doink vs. Jannetty.

As for the squash match filler, there are some RAWs that have a really good main event match and some kick ass squashes where the Steiners or the Headshrinkers or Doink kill jabronies. And it's not like the first RAW is particularly good. The second RAW ever is better than the first, with Repo Man repossessing Savage's hat, Terry Taylor vs. Mr. Perfect, Doink ripping his arm off to beat up Crush, and a pretty good Tito vs. Flair match. 

Another problem with using the first few RAWs? Rob Bartlett. blech.

The post-Survivor Series 95 show with Diesel giving an early "tweener shoot" speech and the Owen Hart/HBK collapse angle was another great one.

Disappointed that the 4/21/97 show wasn't selected as I've always thought that was the best booked RAW ever (the show-long Hart/Austin streetfight angle where Austin attacks Hart in an ambulance and Pillman makes a surprise return DESTROYING Austin with a nasty chairshot.)

I'm not bothered by the lack of early stuff.  WWE already released a "Best of RAW 1993-1994" set three-four years ago, so it's not as if some of that stuff isn't already out there.

My favourite RAW, by far, is the one where they spent the whole two hours hyping up the return of Kevin Nash after a lengthily hiatus.  They hammered the topic all night long.  Kevin Nash will be getting back in the ring tonight; don't change that channel.  Finally, the main event rolls around.  You didn't really care that Kevin Nash was going to wrestle, but whatever, it's what they've been pushing all night, so you still have a bit of anticipation despite yourself.  But it's a six or eight or whatever-man tag match, and they draw out tagging in Kevin Nash.  It might have even gone to commercial before he gets tagged in.  Finally, the moment comes.  Kevin Nash gets tagged in.  He gets the big boot.  He gets the sidewalk slam.  Those sure are Kevin Nash moves, you say to yourself!  And then it happens.  Having exhausted the extent of his wrestling repartee, he goes to tag out of the match not 10-20 seconds after getting tagged in and what happens?  He crumples to the ground, having re-injured himself through the terrible exertion of walking from the middle of the ring to one of the corners.

Say what you want about your favourite joke.  The twists and turns it takes.  The adventure it ferries the audience on before arriving at its ending that is both surprising and yet, in retrospect, so obvious.  It has nothing on the magnificent setup and punchline of that RAW.

• Like 2

I have three channels of PBS here outside Champaign, IL. There is no Tales of Masked Men listed for Sunday on any of them.  :angry:

Same here.  I've already seen the documentary, though, so I'm not too put out.

Ah that reminds me, we do have a really great video store in town with a massive documentary section. Time to go see if it's there.

I haven't seen the Perfect/Flair retirement match in ages and I wonder how well that holds up. I remember that as a traumatic experience of my early high school years being that Flair was my idol (I call myself "The Real Life Heel"). But thankfully, he showed back up in WCW shortly with Fifi the Maid.

This makes me wonder what should be the lineup for a set focused on retirement matches.

I've got to truck out my favorite again, the Raw with Terry Funk vs. "Mick Foley" (just Foley for the first time ever) with Austin on commentary is still the best. Undertaker beats people's asses, there's a Chicago street fight between LOD and DOA where people are hitting each other with pipes, Terry moonsaults off the bleachers and Foley does a heel turn. It's awesome and I'm happy I still have it on VHS even though my players won't work anymore.

Finally, the moment comes.  Kevin Nash gets tagged in.  He gets the big boot.  He gets the sidewalk slam.  Those sure are Kevin Nash moves, you say to yourself!  And then it happens.  Having exhausted the extent of his wrestling repartee, he goes to tag out of the match not 10-20 seconds after getting tagged in and what happens?  He crumples to the ground, having re-injured himself through the terrible exertion of walking from the middle of the ring to one of the corners.

It's worse than you remember. He only got one of his six moves off before the injury.

• Like 1

The one where Rob Bartlett pretends to be Vince and Monsoon and Heenan want to kill him by the end of the show. First time they ever agreed on anything. it's hilarious.

Was that the show with the Nasty Boys-Headshrinkers concession stand brawl?

It was and it's during that match where Monsoon and Heenan are at their funniest but you need the build of the entire show to really appreciate it.

It is; I have it, actually.

Ah that reminds me, we do have a really great video store in town with a massive documentary section. Time to go see if it's there.

Sadly, no. I don't think it's on DVD yet.