DVDVR Message Board

Sept Wrestling Jibber Jabber Thread

RIPPA

So WWE is putting out a 12-DVD/10-Bluray box set of uncut Raw episodes, and the lineup is as follows:

*Original ECW Invasion - February 1997*Final Nitro/Raw simulcast - March 2001 (no word whether they will include the final Nitro as well).*Raw Homecoming - October 2005 (USA Network return including Angle vs. Michaels Iron Man match)*Bret Hart returns to Raw (January 2010)*First episode of Raw (January 1993)*DX Invasion (Creation of the Triple H led version of DX, April 1998)*First-ever Steve Austin vs. Mr. McMahon (April 1998, episode that broke Nitro's run in the ratings)*Raw Roulette (November 2003, Victoria vs. Lita)*Undertaker & Triple H & Shane McMahon vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin & The Rock & Mr. McMahon (May 1999)*Mankind wins WWF title (January 1999)*15th Anniversary episode (December 2007)

Was never all that impressed with Rock as a worker.He was in the greatest WM main event ever, but I very rarely seek out old Rock matches to watch.

When you watch four weeks of Raw/SmackDown and then the PPV, Rock matches are awesome. Needs context to really enjoy it.

Fair enough, but you could say that for a lot of guys.

I don't remember many matches where Rock elevated a lesser talent or had a great match with a shitty worker. Most of his solid matches (Austin, HHH, Taker, Benoit) was with a better worker than he was. Hell, I would say Mick Foley was the better worker in their series of matches. You could say he was better than Jericho and Shamrock in their feuds, but even that's not indisputable.

Bret got a good match out of a pirate, Shawn gave Sid his best match and Eddie made JBL look like a fucking monster. Rocky wasn't that kind of worker.

Bite your tongue; Carl Oulette is an awesome wrestler. 

It's a strange phenomenon. This board seems to do well 11 months of the year when talking about this sort of thing. If I asked, "hey, who's having a great year this year?" we'd get plenty of nice discussion about who has been kicking ass.But you put it in a bracket form in March and it gets down right hateful.

So Umaga is the early favorite then yeah?

How good was his missile dropkick?

• Like 1

So WWE is putting out a 12-DVD/10-Bluray box set of uncut Raw episodes, and the lineup is as follows:

*Original ECW Invasion - February 1997*Final Nitro/Raw simulcast - March 2001 (no word whether they will include the final Nitro as well).*Raw Homecoming - October 2005 (USA Network return including Angle vs. Michaels Iron Man match)*Bret Hart returns to Raw (January 2010)*First episode of Raw (January 1993)*DX Invasion (Creation of the Triple H led version of DX, April 1998)*First-ever Steve Austin vs. Mr. McMahon (April 1998, episode that broke Nitro's run in the ratings)*Raw Roulette (November 2003, Victoria vs. Lita)*Undertaker & Triple H & Shane McMahon vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin & The Rock & Mr. McMahon (May 1999)*Mankind wins WWF title (January 1999)*15th Anniversary episode (December 2007)

I love how WWE acts like the only Raw that existed before 1997 was the first one.

• Like 1

I love how WWE acts like the only Raw that existed before 1997 was the first one.

Give some pre-1997 Raws that you think are candidates for this set.

Not just this set, any set.  The only time the early days got any love was when they released a set solely dedicated to that.  With anything else they do that involves best Raw matches or moments, pre Attitude era is very underrepresented.

• Like 1

Give some pre-1997 Raws that you think are candidates for this set.

The most obvious is 5/17/1993:http://jaedmc.blogspot.com/2011/07/new-generation-era-project-raw-review_27.htmlIt's got the debut of the Smoking Gunns, Kid upsetting Razor, Tatanka vs Scott Taylor, a good face Kamala match against Yoko, and of course Marty vs. Shawn.
  • Like 1

So I went to Chikara's King of Trios in 2012 and PWG's Battle of Los Angeles this year, and had a great time at both.  I was wondering what else is out there right now in the way of U.S. super indy tournaments that get run every year?

Absolute Intense Wrestling has the J.T. Lightning Invitational.

IWA-MS is apparently back up and running the Ted Petty Invitational again.

Anything else?

IWC in Pittsburgh did its 12th Super Indy tournament in June. Michael Facade won it.

I forget the year or whenever it was but there was a Raw after a WrestleMania that had an epic Bret/Hakushi match and a top-line Alundra Blaze/Bull Nakano match. The Bull match featured a German suplex on the floor. I think there was also a big angle involving Sid and Shawn Michaels on it.

I forget the year or whenever it was but there was a Raw after a WrestleMania that had an epic Bret/Hakushi match and a top-line Alundra Blaze/Bull Nakano match. The Bull match featured a German suplex on the floor. I think there was also a big angle involving Sid and Shawn Michaels on it.

That was the show after Wrestlemania 11 (the one featuring Lawrence Taylor vs Bam Bam Bigelow) IIRC.  The Blaze/Nakano match was awesome though I don't think I've seen it since then so I don't know how it holds up.  I remember that Hart/Hakushi match as well.  Didn't they have a brief feud when Mr. Fuji was accusing Bret of being a racist or something?

To backtrack to the "best Indian wrestler" issue, I wanted to mention this for a while, because I think it's some kind of in-joke (probably a reference to the Paul & Brian's Excellent Adventure shoot):

Ramaa: The Saviour

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1279105/

starring Great Khali, Dhalip Singh

The Wikipedia page lists the producer as ... Paul London.  (IMDB has no such listing, so I call bullshit, obviously.)

But what a random name for some wiki-vandal to plug in, unless there's some reason behind it.

There were so many great early Raw's, I think the thing is though, is that since a lot of them were one hour and filled with squash matches, they didn't really want to include them. Someday, hopefully, there will be a season collection made but I am not getting my hopes up.

I haven't seen the Perfect/Flair retirement match in ages and I wonder how well that holds up. I remember that as a traumatic experience of my early high school years being that Flair was my idol (I call myself "The Real Life Heel"). But thankfully, he showed back up in WCW shortly with Fifi the Maid.

I haven't seen the Perfect/Flair retirement match in ages and I wonder how well that holds up. I remember that as a traumatic experience of my early high school years being that Flair was my idol (I call myself "The Real Life Heel"). But thankfully, he showed back up in WCW shortly with Fifi the Maid.

It's still pretty darn good. There's also Mr. Perfect vs. Doink from the same year that everyone should take a second to watch(there's more than one watch 'em all). And Doink vs. Jannetty.

As for the squash match filler, there are some RAWs that have a really good main event match and some kick ass squashes where the Steiners or the Headshrinkers or Doink kill jabronies. And it's not like the first RAW is particularly good. The second RAW ever is better than the first, with Repo Man repossessing Savage's hat, Terry Taylor vs. Mr. Perfect, Doink ripping his arm off to beat up Crush, and a pretty good Tito vs. Flair match. 

Another problem with using the first few RAWs? Rob Bartlett. blech.