DVDVR Message Board

2016-2017 NCAA BASKETBALL THREAD

RIPPA

Visiting Stony Brook tonight. They have an almost brand new arena that opened last season. Nicest and most modern on campus venue I have been to besides Temple. Got a tix on SeatGeek for $6 so that was nice.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2017 at 6:14 PM, just drew said:

The Alma Mater runs #6 Florida State out of the gym tonight. Josh Okogie goes for 32. Georgia Tech an ambush machine at home...

Tech's been downright shocking to me. I never thought much of Pastner as a coach, and figured he was destined for three years with GT before becoming the primary recruiter/assistant coach at a blue blood program. Clearly, I am an idiot. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At a St Francis BK men's and women's DH. People who come to these things and skip the women's game because "sportz playd by pepul wit vaginaz is thu badd LOLZ" are a blight on humanity.

• Like 2

Jim Boeheim unofficially won his 1000 game as Syracuse upset Virginia

The NCAA says it is only 899 as they docked the program (and Boeheim) 101 wins back in 2015

On 2/4/2017 at 4:40 PM, RIPPA said:

Jim Boeheim unofficially won his 1000 game as Syracuse upset Virginia

The NCAA says it is only 899 as they docked the program (and Boeheim) 101 wins back in 2015

And it'd be a LOT fewer with Gerry McNamara, seeing as then Cuse would not have won 10 FUCKING GAMES 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Northwestern picks up that statement win they were looking for, taking out #7 Wisconsin in Madison. Barring disaster, the Cats should finally be dancing in March.

The Badgers' offense is just the drizzling shits right now.  Teams have figured out how to defend Happ and nobody can hit an outside shot when they collapse on him.  

McIntosh had an amazing game, getting to wherever he wanted on the floor and making jumpers.

• Like 1

Wisconsin coaches going ballistic over the dunk at the end was so lame. I'm guessing more projecting frustration on playing a thoroughly bleh game than anything to do with the actual dunk. 

I think Va. Tech has pretty solidly played its way in. The student section storming and jumping in sync to Metallica was such a great visual. They won, in part, because of what is essentially a one-in-a-million play. I don't think Perrantes' layup that just stopped on the back of rim couldn't be recreated in a game situation. 

23 hours ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Wisconsin coaches going ballistic over the dunk at the end was so lame. I'm guessing more projecting frustration on playing a thoroughly bleh game than anything to do with the actual dunk. 

I had left by that point, but it is always dumb as hell when coaches get mad about that.

BTW - checking in on the 4 never been there teams (since it really appears Northwestern is in)

3 of the 4 absolutely suck

• Army (9-17, 3-11 in Patriot League)
  • The Citadel (9-18, 2-12 in Southern)
  • St Francis (NY) (4-23, 2-12 in Northeast)

William & Mary (14-11, 8-6) is the only one with a puncher's chance. They are middle of the pack of the CAA so could steal a spot if they get hot. Problem is UNCW is really really good.

On 2/14/2017 at 9:00 AM, RIPPA said:

BTW - checking in on the 4 never been there teams (since it really appears Northwestern is in)

3 of the 4 absolutely suck

• Army (9-17, 3-11 in Patriot League)
  • The Citadel (9-18, 2-12 in Southern)
  • St Francis (NY) (4-23, 2-12 in Northeast)

William & Mary (14-11, 8-6) is the only one with a puncher's chance. They are middle of the pack of the CAA so could steal a spot if they get hot. Problem is UNCW is really really good.

UNCW is probably Round of 32 good, and could get to the second weekend with the right bracket. It would take a pretty bad gag for them not to win the CAA Tournament -- sorta like William & Mary in 2015 :(

Got my ridiculously cheap tickets for the opening sessions of the ACC and Big East tourneys. Got tix to night session of ACC first day (would've got the day session but I have to work) for $12 total on StubHub, tix to afternoon session of the 2nd day (also $12 on SH) and tix to the Big East opening session that night on SeatGeek for $6 (protip: SeatGeek is awesome because they don't charge additional fees. Always check them before StubHub).

Also have a question: why does DePaul play all it's games at gigantic Allstate Arena and not on campus? Does there gym hold fewer than 5-6,000 because that seems like the crowds they get and I would think an intimate gym would give them a real home court advantage?

On 2017-02-25 at 2:16 PM, sabremike said:

Also have a question: why does DePaul play all it's games at gigantic Allstate Arena and not on campus? Does there gym hold fewer than 5-6,000 because that seems like the crowds they get and I would think an intimate gym would give them a real home court advantage?

The on-campus arena only holds 3,000 fans. Not an arena worthy of a Big East team. Of course, DePaul has rarely been worthy of being a Big East team, but that's a whole different debate. :)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ryan said:

Not sure where this would go, but Baylor faculty continues to embarass everyone.

Let's see...In the 21st Century, Baylor athletics has been home to: 

- Carlton Dotson murder Patrick Denehy
- Dave Bliss lied to investigators and attempted to coerce assistants into backing up his BS
- Bliss paying for players' tuition out of his own pocket
- Shawn Oakman's allowed to continue playing despite multiple arrests
- Sam Ukwuachu transfer into Baylor under shady circumstances from Boise State
- Phil Bennett tells boosters Ukwuachu will be on the field, as the latter's being investigated for rape
- Art Briles denies, denies, denies 'til the bitter end 
- 52(!!!) allegations of rape by BU football players
- Kim Mulkey saying the dumbest shit about the rape allegations (and ACTUAL CONVICTIONS!) imaginable. 

It's sorta amazing to me the Big 12 isn't taking a more public stand. 

6 minutes ago, The Iron Yuppie said:

Let's see...In the 21st Century, Baylor athletics has been home to: 

- Carlton Dotson murder Patrick Denehy
- Dave Bliss lied to investigators and attempted to coerce assistants into backing up his BS
- Bliss paying for players' tuition out of his own pocket
- Shawn Oakman's allowed to continue playing despite multiple arrests
- Sam Ukwuachu transfer into Baylor under shady circumstances from Boise State
- Phil Bennett tells boosters Ukwuachu will be on the field, as the latter's being investigated for rape
- Art Briles denies, denies, denies 'til the bitter end 
- 52(!!!) allegations of rape by BU football players
- Kim Mulkey saying the dumbest shit about the rape allegations (and ACTUAL CONVICTIONS!) imaginable. 

It's sorta amazing to me the Big 12 isn't taking a more public stand. 

I'm sure they have their reason$.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2017 at 8:06 PM, Dewar said:

The on-campus arena only holds 3,000 fans. Not an arena worthy of a Big East team. Of course, DePaul has rarely been worthy of being a Big East team, but that's a whole different debate. :)

They're actually getting a 10,000 seat arena of their own across from McCormick Place next year so they can finally vacate the Horizon. (I'm still calling it the Horizon. YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!)

As a Bradley manager, I had front-row seats to DePaul games back in the early 90s when they still had a consistently good program. Even then it was a hard draw... the Horizon has/had horrible sightlines for basketball, plus it was almost an hour's drive from their campus, if you can believe it. Of course, it could've been far worse... poor Loyola had to play their games there too, making the same damn hour-long trip, and they were a horrible program back then. They had maybe 1500 people sprinkled throughout the Horizon (listed capacity: 18,500) when we went there... I honestly think their kids were happy to play in front of a big crowd when they came to Peoria the following year and we put 9,000 folks in Carver for them. :)

Just saw that I get out of work early enough on Tuesday that I can do the ACC afternoon session so I got on SH for $12. Only 2 bad things about the ACC tourney: 1) No print at home etickets. Everything is hard tickets so they have to be sent via UPS and I can't get on SeatGeek for $6 and print at home. 2) The night session the first night is only one game, not a doubleheader.