DVDVR Message Board

2016-2017 NCAA BASKETBALL THREAD

RIPPA

At the Pope Gymnasium for the St Peters-St Francis Brooklyn game. Place is ridiculously tiny, makes LIU's tiny gym look like MSG in comparison. Fun fact: St Francis is one of 4 NCAA D1 schools who have been NCAA members from the beginning of the national tourney who have never made it (Army, Northwestern and VMI are the others IIRC).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

There are 5 original NCAA teams to never make the tourney

William & Mary

Army

Citadel

Northwestern

St Francis (NY)

OK had the wrong military academy.

UNLV/Utah St LADIES~! brawl - 8 total players ejected

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18429695/brawl-erupts-unlv-utah-state-women-basketball-teams

I love the UNLV coaches' excuse for why everyone got tossed

"For the players that did leave the bench, they didn't know better. That was all our new players that did that," UNLV coach Kathy Olivier said. "Do I ever go over that? No. I didn't think I needed to do that, so that's my mistake: [not] saying that you can never leave the bench. They saw me go out there and wanted to try to help me, but I was helping the situation. They cannot leave the bench."

According to my ticket I am the 1,109th person to attend a St Peters men's basketball game this season (vs Quinnipiac). St Peters is Dalton Castle's favorite team as they are the Peacocks, YAY PEACOCKS!!!

I am at Rose Hill for the women's game between Fordham and Richmond. It is a matinee and they bussed in like 1,500 local schoolkids. The atmosphere is like a Mid South show when JYD came to the ring. Yeah it's that loud/crazy.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Pete said:

Saturday night, New Mexico leading Nevada 90-76 at The Pit with 1:10 left on the clock. Wolfpack: Hold my beer.

Reading through the story it was the second-biggest final-minute comeback in college basketball history.

Soooo..... In retrospect, I'm kinda sorry I gave up my seats for WVU-Baylor (wife and I have season tickets, but we share the seats with my brother) so my teenage niece and her boyfriend could go.  I didn't expect it to be anything too memorable and I have really large TV I could watch instead, so I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I may have miscalculated there.  Just a smidge.

Yesterday I went to Draddy Gymnasium for Manhattan vs Rider. Its a large multipurpose faucility with a running track going around the whole place. The court is in the center with bleachers on wheels they slide to the center closer to the court. Not a bad place and easy enough to get to. Weirdest thing is that Manhattan College is actually located in the Bronx.

Monday I get another venue off the list when I visit St Johns and Carnececca Arena. They are giving out a Felipe Lopez bobblehead. No I am not making that up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sabremike said:

Yesterday I went to Draddy Gymnasium for Manhattan vs Rider. Its a large multipurpose faucility with a running track going around the whole place. The court is in the center with bleachers on wheels they slide to the center closer to the court. Not a bad place and easy enough to get to. Weirdest thing is that Manhattan College is actually located in the Bronx.

Bradley had a home-and-home with Manhattan back in 91-92 and the guys were all asking me why they were located in the Bronx. This was the same game where I infamously yelled "FUCK!" while working the camera as Kwame Brown (not THAT Kwame Brown) put up the worst free throw attempt in recorded history, which actually made it onto Coach Mo's weekly show a couple of times. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2017 at 11:46 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Well, he is a New York kid and went to St. Johns so that

Still makes very little sense

Lopez also was third on St John's all time scorer list when he graduated. And since he went there for 4 years he is a big deal for folks of my generation. (Both my parents went to St Johns so it would be like Sonny Dove to them)

And pretty much all schools do bobbleheads of former "greats" from the school. There have been at least two Mason ones from guys who were on the Final Four team

Felipe was awesome, I just think it was probably impossible to live up to the hype coming in as a freshman. He was on the cover of SI (wearing HORRIBLE uniforms, but it was the '90s) and I believe SLAM before he ever played a game. 

lopez-inline.jpg

I could be wrong, because I was pretty young then, but I feel like that era was the beginning of the nationally hype high school player. I remember reading more about Felipe Lopez, Schea Cotton and Stephon Marbury as high schoolers than I did some good college players. 

On 1/20/2017 at 11:53 PM, Brian Fowler said:

Holy shit Schea Cotton what the fuck ever happened to him?

There's a pretty interesting documentary on his life released last year. 

SLAM Magazine wasn't alone in over-hyping Cotton. SI had a huge story about him when he was like 15. But SLAM was the first on board with Steph Marbury, and I think as a result of that, went nuts trying to be on the ground floor with high schoolers. They named Dajuan Wagner a 1st Team Prep All-American as a FRESHMAN, which was just insane.