DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R3A: BECKY LYNCH vs. KING CUERNO

RIPPA

MM16: 3rd RDA - BECKY LYNCH vs. KING CUERNO  

109 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Sasha vs Becky is one of my top 5 matches of 2015 (so is the four way from Rival but that barely misses the cut because of dates) and she's basically been the person who's benefitted most from the main roster Divas Revolution. She's become an intensely likeable face and got the best main roster match out of Charlotte yet. She'll be hard to beat, in my view.

In general this year will probably see me heavily biased toward NXT women though given that they've been the thing I've looked forward to most in wrestling this past year-ish.

I'm surprised at how this one is going so far. I figured it would be the exact opposite.

Much like real life, there's something to be said for getting hot right at tournament time. Nakamura basically won last year on the hype from WK9. The Shield guys, especially Roman, rode the Wyatt feud to stronger-than-expected finishes in 14, and if they had been entered as a group, likely would've won.

And Becky has gotten a lot of momentum out of the Charlotte feud these past couple of months.

If you can vote against the goggles that have been seen this tourney, then you can vote for the Becky Happy Dance Gif that has been shared this tourney.

It's amazing how something like that can be so damn hypnotic.  But I've already posted that so not doing it going forward.

I love King Cuerno and enjoy the hell out of his work.  He's willing to fall onto a table with the fucking ladder on him the whole way.  He took that like a man and I respect the hell out of him for that.  I love his character and approach to his matches.  He's done the first suicide dive in some time that made me go "Holy fucking shit!"  It's so damn hurty-looking and awe-inspiring that it makes others pale in comparison.

All that said, I still go with Becky.  There were other great matches that kept making the NXT women one of the greatest things going.  But it cannot be understated how much of a game-changer her against Sasha was.  If you only go with that one match that'd be enough to pick her over many in this tournament.  It was one of those matches where the action was on point, the drama was off the charts and you could feel the emotion well after the match (Becky crying while the crowd's singing her theme still gives me goosebumps)  With all the deserved love Bayley and Sasha get, Becky deserves much more appreciation for what she did.  And after the botched main roster introduction, she's really finding her groove and the people are into her.

• Like 2

I'm surprised at how this one is going so far. I figured it would be the exact opposite.

Any particular reason? As much as I like Cuerno, it would be tough to argue he was even in the top 5 LU guys in the voting period. Most of his best stuff from LU actually took place in January and February last year, and he was mostly an after thought once the promotion got really hot. It was only the Fenix match that really got him heated up again.

Were as Becky, well, one of the best matches of the voting period bar none in a lot of peoples view, and arguably been the best performer on the main show in the last 3 months.

I won't vote here keeping with my rule of staying out of brackets with lucha guys (don't watch any) but I wanted to voice my support for Becky. The Bayley/Sasha matches were fantastic and deserve all the kudos they've gotten but they have sort of overshadowed the Becky/Sasha match. Becky, in a losing effort, brought the crowd to it's feet and to tears. She does so much of what great pro wrestling is right, it's hard for me to support very many picks over her. She, along with Bayley and Sasha, were essentially the Kobashi, Misawa, and Kawada of NXT. The match quality was amazing and made lots of us care about women's wrestling again when we thought Vince had killed it for good with the T&A nonsense of the Attitude era.