DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R3A: DEAN AMBROSE vs. MEIKO SATOMURA

RIPPA

MM16: 3rd RDA - DEAN AMBROSE vs. MEIKO SATOMURA  

108 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Meiko works matches where she looks like she's really hurting her opponent.

Dean's matches look like he's hurting himself.

With Meiko you get conversations about vicious STFs and other nasty works and how each mach goes from start to finish.

With Dean you get conversations about stupid clotheslines and how the match doesn't matter as he's just going to go steal some beans after the show's over.

• Like 1

Meiko works matches where she looks like she's really hurting her opponent.

Dean's matches look like he's hurting himself.

With Meiko you get conversations about vicious STFs and other nasty works and how each mach goes from start to finish.

With Dean you get conversations about stupid clotheslines and how the match doesn't matter as he's just going to go steal some beans after the show's over.

This is an excellent breakdown. Thumbs up.

And I like Dean for reason's I can't explain.

For all his faults and lazy work, Dean is maybe the most over face in WWE. He's kinda become the modern Mick Foley and while a lot of his work drives me nuts, the first Rollins title match and the KO feud did a lot for him, as did his ridiculously badass build and delivery against Bork at Fast Lane.

Meiko is great but admittedly I was intently waiting on Io or Kairi to get that spot back.

I'm one of the few who probably is still big Ambrose fan. I enjoy him promos and general gimmick. I still enjoy his matches as well. That said he is giving shitty directions half of time and really doesn't get enough moments or matches like the recent HHH feud to help him out here with me. Meiko takes this for me based on the series with Kairi and the title match against Io. She was just so great in all of them, and I'll remember those far more than I will just about anything Dean did the last year match wise.

So is Ambrose's Round Lariat/"Wacky Line" the worst signature move left in tournament because that's preventing me from voting for Ambrose.

Yes, yes it is. Go ahead and vote for Meiko, take any time you could've spent debating your choice to enjoy a sandwich instead.

These guys are on opposite ends of my Good Wrestler Spectrum. Dean is fine as a wrestler, some dumb moves but can deliver if motivated and paired with someone talented, but I find him very entertaining as a personality. Meiko doesn't have much of character besides ass kicker (from what I've seen, which certainly isn't as much as I'd like) but she's so good in the ring she doesn't need anything else. I'm going to use all the time I can to decide but I think Meiko will take it, especially since Dean's best stuff has been has been after the cut off.

The awful ropes clothesline gets all the attention, but I'm not sure there is a more business exposing move than Ambrose's awful tope, which looks so passive. It's like a jumping awkward hug. Ambrose makes a suicide dive look less impactful than Edge's spear.

• Like 2

The awful ropes clothesline gets all the attention, but I'm not sure there is a more business exposing move than Ambrose's awful tope, which looks so passive. It's like a jumping awkward hug. Ambrose makes a suicide dive look less impactful than Edge's spear.

*invoke Kaientai dub voice*

Indeed!

I actually think the concept of Ambrose (post-Shield) as a wrestler that doesn't actually know how to wrestle and is just making shit up on the fly is pretty inspired. The weirder/crappier it gets the more I kinda like it. 

That said Meiko will break your face if you don't vote for her. 

That 'he doesn't know how to wrestle' gimmick worked better with Joseph Park though. People would cross body him and bounce off because he didn't know to catch them (and he was big enough that it made sense he'd not be knocked over by it anyhow).

It's a different thing though. Ambrose is a good wrestler that's cosplaying a guy who's not a wrestler. Abyss is cosplaying a bad wrestler who's a non-wrestler that's a good wrestler. And for some reason the last has more logic than the first...

Oh I give up. Fucking TNA.

EDIT: and I'm not even voting on this because I can't waste more net time watching current Meiko matches. Do yourself a favor and do that instead of worrying about this conundrum