DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R3A: SAMI ZAYN vs. SASHA BANKS

RIPPA

[MM16] 3rd RDA - SAMI ZAYN vs. SASHA BANKS  

132 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Sami spent a considerable amount of time on the shelf with an injury but what he did do during 2015 was fun.

Sasha Banks was amazing the entire year with three MOTY contenders.

Sasha wins this one for me in a walk.

• Like 1

It's not in the time period, but it's not like the main roster's done favors for Sami even in the span of a week or two. That Stardust match was terrifying. No one should ever get brought up. Ever. Not Sasha. Not Sami. Not anyone. 

• Like 3

I love Sami and am excited for his likely WM match against Owens.  But Sasha wins this and quite easily.  Partly for reasons Ramsey stated above, mainly because I'm a huge Sasha fan and want Sasha/Bayley in the finals.

Yeah, using the main roster stuff against Sasha is an argument I expect in later rounds, but it's all about the high points for me.  She has my vote over pretty much everyone left in this thing.

I worry about Sami on the main roster because whoever is putting these matches together is doing no one any favors.  Everyone wrestles at the same pace and for the same amount of time.  If you add in that Sami clearly isn't all the way back from his injury, it's not a good environment for the guy right now.

I'm not exactly sure when the match layout became so uniform.  Maybe with the switch to 3 hour Raws?  It's always been that way in WWE to an extent, but something has changed over the last few years.  

Just for a point of order - the 4-way in which Sasha won the title was not in the voting period.

So while Natural is still correct in his assessment - the 4-way TECHNICALLY should not affect the way you vote.

Easy decision, Sasha Banks put on three MOTY contenders to go with her shout as WOTY. Legit Boss.

Just for a point of order - the 4-way in which Sasha won the title was not in the voting period.

So while Natural is still correct in his assessment - the 4-way TECHNICALLY should not affect the way you vote.

I think he meant Sasha/Becky and the two Sasha/Bayley matches.

• Like 1

No - Natural edited his post  :D

It said 4 and he specifically listed the matches he was talking about in the original post (4-way, Becky, 2 Bayley)

I hope everyone that voted for Sami last round is happy that they deprived us of seeing Sasha beat Balor 150-0. Sasha was outperforming Sami before his injury, and that was before Sasha had the Bayley matches.

I see some people already bringing up Sasha's main roster stuff as a negative, but I think there have been more positives. She's had good matches with Becky, Paige, and Naomi, and some good tag matches. The reality is she shouldn't have been brought up until after the iron man match. They killed time to give Nikki the record, Vince's grand plan of making Charlotte the babyface ace backfired spectacularly, and then Charlotte got Sasha's spot as the top heel. I think Sasha has done more than a good job working as a baby face so far despite all of her good NXT stuff coming from being a heel.

• Like 1

Sasha and Sami are maybe my two favorites. It's a hard list that I change constantly. But they're both seriously great storytellers.

If you factor out injuries (Sasha was hurt, too, and was off TV for a spell), than I think the not goes to Sasha. Her best three matches (especially the Bayley thrillers) were hugely important for the WWE and women's wrestling. They broke out of the wrestling bubble and into the mainstream a bit. They made professional wrestling better. That's a rare thing to say.

Sami makes better wrestling better, too. He's the best male babyface in the world. He's so great at playing the beaten down hero who, no matter what is thrown at him, still does the right thing. He doesn't try to do the right thing. He DOES the right thing. The other great thing about Sami is that he can lose matches and still remains the heart and soul of NXT. His ultimate character trait is his dignity in the face of losing, since everyone loses at some point.

But Sasha's matches evolved this weird artform. She played the villain perfectly and let fans like Izzy have a hero to root for and someone to hate. That there are fans like Izzy watching wrestling says it all.

Yeah, Sasha obviously holds like three of the five best matches in the period and has quietly been doing great stuff on the main roster while the spotlight was off her. Her preshow match with Becky ruled, as did her early DR singles stuff. Her coming out at the Rumble postmatch was huge, and the tag her and Becky had against Team BAD at Fast Lane was maybe the best thing I've ever seen Tamina in.

I mean, at worst her main roster run has been her quietly putting together a list of great, smart matches ala Rusev or Cesaro in years past. If that got them to the finals, there's no reason that plus her NXT run can't see her take the whole thing.

• Like 1