DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night 85: Hunt vs. Mir (3/19/2016) - Brisbane, Queensland, Australia (Brisbane Entertainment Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

I picked Dan Kelly to win this fight...but I didn't bet any money.

I like Dan Kelly.  He's pretty good considering how late he started MMA and fighting in the UFC.  Thought Junior was a little overrated going into this.

I picked Dan Kelly to win this fight...but I didn't bet any money.

I like Dan Kelly.  He's pretty good considering how late he started MMA and fighting in the UFC.  Thought Junior was a little overrated going into this.

Cara do Sapato is basically athletic Pe de Pano at middleweight. That's not a bright outlook.

Anyway, BIG BIG win for Jake Matthews. That fight went exactly the opposite as I was expecting. He beat the person who people perceived as the better prospect and just stayed on him for the entire fight. If he can up his fight IQ and continue to grow as a fighter, he will be a fascinating potential top ten fighter.

That was one of the most insane fights I've seen. The most Lombard-y Lombard fight too. Holy shit, Neil Magny rules!

Lombard threw a punch at the start of the third after getting rocked and he still hurt Magny significantly.

I love you Neil Magny!  The future UFC champion!

I can't stand Hector Lombard, so that comeback in the second had me on the feet.  I knew that if Magny somehow survived that early onslaught, he could win because Lombard's cardio has always been suspect.

Lombard still looks like he's on the juice.

Her hand speed is really slow for such a small fighter, which isn't a good thing as she doesn't really have a tonne of power and her head is almost always the centre line. She's got good cardio and can take a beating though, so she can hang in there and take advantage of mistakes. 

• Like 1

*Let me duck into this punch* *BOP*

Holy shit, Frank. He looks fucking terrible.

He has old pro wrestler body.

He looked like he should've been coaching a little league soccer game tonight.  Coming off TRT clearly hit him hard.

EDIT:

Mark Hunt had an epic quote at the post-fight press conference.

"I looked at Frank.  He was in the Dark Lands.  So I left him there."

He's like a character in a Mad Max movie.

• Like 1

Nakai vs. Smith was a good fight Rin looked better in this fight it would be interesting to see how she would do in her next fight if she fights in the UFC again.

The Hooker submission was sweet and I'm glad Jouban was able to win by TKO in the 1st round. Bec/Ham was another good fight but Bec gassed hard in the 3rd round however she was able to survive when Ham had her in trouble in that round.

Kelly made a great comeback and Matthews changed his fight with those body shots. Magny Magny Magny what a comeback and I can't wait to see who he fights next! The above Hunt quote sums up the fight perfectly.

My favorite thing in all of sports is the Mark Hunt walk off knockout punch.  He is so absolutely certain that you aren't getting up when he lands a big shot that he just casually walks back to his corner. 

The ref in that Lombard/Magny fight should neer be able to ref a fight again.  I can kind of defend not calling the fight when Magny was hurt, because he was constantly moving and trying to improve his position.  That second round should have been stopped about 15 times over Lombard was just lying face down absorbing shots to the head.  That was just plain negligent refereeing. 

It was strange that they had so many fights across the show featuring a massive height discrepancy between fighters. And it did make it pretty clear that (if you aren't a heavyweight), it makes a lot of sense to be tall and skinny for your weight. The only shorter fighter who seemed to be winning was Seo Hee Ham, who still lost the decision.