DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Festival Concert Thread

sabremike

Saw that a thread for 2016 hasn't been started yet so I figured I'd do the honors. Two concerts I got tickets for: Duran Duran at Barclays on 4/12 and Unwritten Law and FenixTX at Webster Hall on 4/2. Saw DD at MSG several years ago and they were amazing. For $30 that's quite a bargain. Only downside is Barclays doesn't have the greatest acoustics when you are upstairs. As for Unwritten Law I loved them in College and saw them at The Chance in Poughkeepsie back in 1999. They are one of those bands I rediscovered on Pandora and YouTube recently. Teenage Suicide is one of my all time favorite songs is as Seeing Red.

Sick of it All 30th anniversary show in July at Webster Hall just went on sale and I grabbed my ticket. The opening acts are Street Dogs and Murphy's Law. My best friend in high school actually got me into ML by making me tapes of their albums (which weren't easy to find) and I listened to them almost every day. Sick of it All are awesome enough but ML as the opening act? That's "holy shit" territory for me.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Got my ticket for the Rockstar Taste of Chaos tour with Dashboard, Taking Back Sunday, Saosin and the Early November at PNC Arts Center in NJ. Main reason I'm going there is because Saves the Day are the opening act for that one date and LOVE that band. Basically I get to relive my mid 20's. I'm still considering going to the Jones Beach date the next night. Anyone been to Jones Beach, and if so how easy is it to get to via public transportation?

Assuming the set list is more or less uniform, They Might Be Giants are playing FLOOD back-to-front in its entirety on this tour, along with a 60-minute set of more recent stuff. Really fun show, none of the skits and digressions i expected after the prior shows I'd seen, just 2 1/2 hrs of music.

Unwritten Law and Fennix TX killed it tonight in front of about 300 people. Just awesome, was both band's first NYC appearence in over a decade. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Cliff Hanger said:

Peter Murphy tonight. We just got word that the set times have changed and dude won't even hit the stage till 10pm, which is obnoxious.

In a related note that is the reason I refuse to go to the G&R show at Met Life: show probably won't start until midnight and there's a good chance Axl throws a fit and the show doesn't happen at all.

• 1 month later...

Way late to the party here, but I saw The Pietasters for the first time in ages back in May - they used to come to Wilkes-Barre once a year, but that stopped like 4-5 years ago. They were just as fun as they had been in years past.  

Also, just got tickets for Blink 182 last night through the Ticketmaster settlement gimmick. Yay to pretending to be 19 again!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RefMattyD570 said:

Way late to the party here, but I saw The Pietasters for the first time in ages back in May - they used to come to Wilkes-Barre once a year, but that stopped like 4-5 years ago. They were just as fun as they had been in years past.  

Also, just got tickets for Blink 182 last night through the Ticketmaster settlement gimmick. Yay to pretending to be 19 again!

Pennywise are doing a tour where they will play the entire Killing Time album in it's entirety. That is my favorite album from high school. Unwritten Law are the opening act. So yes I am going to this. Also the Descendents play NYC at the Playstation Theater in October, Bayside also play there in (I think) August. As for the Ticketmaster thing I was able to get tixs for Korn and Rob Zombie at PNC Arts Center in NJ. Not particularly into Korn but love Rob Zombie (White Zombie was another band from my high school days).

Lightfoot sounds good for a nearly 80-year-old man, but it's pretty clear that he's tired and nearly 80.  Dad was really disappointed in the show, my response was more "for 77 he sounds decent, he's a good storyteller and he's still better than Rod Stewart was."  If he's on your bucket list go have fun, but that big booming voice is far in the past and it's definitely a fans-only situation.

I need to find shows for July and August to keep my monthly streak going (Sept I will see "whoever looks most interesting at Dragon Con" and October is Echo and the Bunnymen).

EDIT: This may be the most poorly written post I've ever submitted here, which is terrifying given how much shitposting I've done.

just got tickets for Guns N Roses for this Friday in Chicago. 

i was avoiding this tour due to Axl being previously unreliable, plus the absence of Izzy Stradlin. However, someone cancelled on a friend and he offered one to me.

Holy shit, i cannot believe how goddamned excited i am for this show.

P.S. i sent a tweet to Izzy and asked him to make an appearance, then sent Axl and Duff each one and told them to invite Izzy. i know it's a long shot, but fingers crossed since he lives in Indiana

You mother fuckers are totally sleeping on the Prophets of Rage tour.  Public Enemy, Cypress Hill, and mother fucking Rage Against The Machine.

I will see your punk asses at the EagleBank Arena in beautiful Fairfax, VA on August the mother fucking 19th.

• Like 2

I got tickets to see Garth Brooks at Yankee Stadium next Friday on StubHub for $13 each. Not much of a country fan but how can I go wrong paying that little to see a living legend?

Also LiveNation is having a 4th of July sale at many of their amphitheaters. Got a $15 ticket to see the Goo Goo Dolls at the PNC Bank Arts Center.

One night I am seeing Garth Brooks, the next night I am seeing Sick of it All. That's about as close to a 180 in show genres as humanly possible. 

On 6/30/2016 at 0:08 PM, J.T. said:

You mother fuckers are totally sleeping on the Prophets of Rage tour.  Public Enemy, Cypress Hill, and mother fucking Rage Against The Machine.

I will see your punk asses at the EagleBank Arena in beautiful Fairfax, VA on August the mother fucking 19th.

You're acting like that show will have separate sets by each band. If that was the case, I'd be all over that shit. But, it's just a supergroup.

• Like 2

On 6/27/2016 at 10:07 PM, twiztor said:

just got tickets for Guns N Roses for this Friday in Chicago. 

i was avoiding this tour due to Axl being previously unreliable, plus the absence of Izzy Stradlin. However, someone cancelled on a friend and he offered one to me.

Holy shit, i cannot believe how goddamned excited i am for this show.

this show was amazing. probably my favorite concert i've ever been to.

i loved it so much, i'm going to the encore show today. yep. same band, same city, same venue, and i'm totally seeing it again. i am no less excited than i was before Friday's show.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:20 AM, Casey said:

You're acting like that show will have separate sets by each band. If that was the case, I'd be all over that shit. But, it's just a supergroup.

THE SUPEREST OF SUPERGROUPS~! DON'T HATE BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE TIX~!

• Like 1

Sick of it All are fucking awesome. Murphy's Law are fucking awesome #nyhc. But the coolest thing about last night was a hardcore band from Hong Kong called King Ly Chee. They were tremendous and really tore shit up (one song was in Chinese, and you haven't lived until you've heard a hardcore song in Chinese). Their merch table was selling cassette tapes (talk about old school) that also had digital download codes for $5 but I got one for free after buying a shirt for $15. 

On 6/30/2016 at 1:08 PM, J.T. said:

I am seriously thinking of going to this show as well.  We ought to do a meet up and grab some grub before hand!

I forgot all about this thread! In the last couple of weeks I have seen Electric 6 and Buckethead here in town. Both were fucking incredible, as always. E6 never fails to disappoint, and Buckethead is one of the most goddamn ridiculous shows I have ever seen in my life. This last time was like the 35th time I have seen him, and there is never a dull moment. He just shreds for like 2 and a half hours and bails. I love it.

I'm super bummed because Corb Lund & The Hurtin' Albertans were playing for free in Reno tonight, but the wife and I couldn't get anyone to watch the kids. He doesn't hit these parts very often, so I'm pissed that we had to miss it.

• Like 1