DVDVR Message Board

2016 Non-Festival Concert Thread

sabremike

8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

This is shaping up to be an ugly summer for me. Gonna see Korn and Skillet next month. Yay?

I'm actually seeing Korn for free thanks to the TM voucher gimmick. Rob Zombie is the supporting act which is the main reason I'm going. Not into Korn but seeing them for free? Sure, why not?

On 7/15/2016 at 7:39 AM, sabremike said:

I'm actually seeing Korn for free thanks to the TM voucher gimmick. Rob Zombie is the supporting act which is the main reason I'm going. Not into Korn but seeing them for free? Sure, why not?

Rob Zombie and Korn was my first concert, in 1999. went for Korn, Rob Zombie was a bonus. by the end of the show, Rob Zombie was amazing and Korn was just ok. Just saw Rob Zombie like 2 months ago and he is still awesome.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got a $10 ticket to see Envy on the Coast at Webster Hall next week. Remember having one of their albums back in the day, for that price why the hell not?

Also got a ticket to see Bayside at the Playstation Theater. They are one of my all time favorite bands and this is essentially their record release party.

I saw the Ramones in their farewell tour opening for White Zombie. I should say the highlight of the night was meeting the folks from WZ after the show...but the Ramones did play "Spider-Man."

So... my wife and I saw Weird Al in concert last night and I was blown away with how good a show it was.  The music was great, there were costume changes for the entire band between each song and everybody had a great time despite the stifling heat.  If you have a chance to catch him in the next two months, I'd highly recommend it!

Saw Boston at the new amphitheater in Coney Island. For $10 it was a real bargain, they were great. Only nitpick: they should've closed with More Than a Feeling but they played it halfway through the show.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a special set last night where Chuck Mosely was joined by Roddy Bottum, Billy Gould, Mike Bordin, and current Faith No More guitarist Jon Hudson for a special Faith No More circa 1987 set to promote the "We Care A Lot" reissue. Chuck sounded rough but it was closer to "1987 rough" than "2015 Detroit FNM show rough" and the band was great. Overall fun and loose vibes all around. Just really cool to hear some songs live that haven't been in a Faith No More set in decades.

And we all survived the Earth falling into a wormhole as prior to the Faith No More set, Chuck Mosely did a solo acoustic set accompanied by another musician on conga drums, and as part of that set Chuck performed a cover of "Take This Bottle" from the Patton era. Also, "Death March" works surprisingly well as an acoustic song.

Bayside are amazing. One of my favorite bands of all time and they were fantastic Friday. I can't believe they just put out their seventh album (not even including the live album). In other stuff I'm glad I got my ticket to see the Descendents in October last month because they sold out a few weeks ago. Same venue will host the NY stop of Yellowcard's farewell tour, I think I will go to that. Also big shoutout to a certain board member/mod whom we will refer to as Sete Ptein who paid me back for hooking him up with Mets tixs by getting me a tix for the Pennywise show at Irving Plaza in October. Even better is that Unwritten Law is the opening act and I love them as well.

• 3 weeks later...

The Monkees 50th Anniversary Tour is getting more bizarrely interesting. Peter Tork is now going to be out for a couple shows due to a family emergency, so Michael Nesmith is now doing more shows to cover for him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2016 at 9:14 AM, WholeFnMachine said:

Went to see Adele at MSG last night, absolutely incredible, so powerful, I was on the verge of tears several times. The woman is a force of nature.

So she had you at "hello"?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

On a total whim I bought a ticket to see Howard Jones tonight. (Meaning I decided to see at 4:30 if there were tix left for a show that started at 9) Really fun show, mostly 80s but he threw in a couple songs from his ambient dance era and some of his newest. His voice hasn't degraded at all, he was excellent at working the crowd and his light show was amazing for such a small venue. Ticket was a little steep as it was in ACL's new 300-capacity "club" venue, but honestly no regrets.

• 3 weeks later...

Because it's the cliche thing to do and because I've been on a big jam kick the last two years, I'm going to Widespread Panic for New Year's Eve. Not my favorite jam band, but I think it's going to be a great show. Plus, I've never done the New year's concert thing (not really counting being on Broadway for a free show last year that I couldn't pay attention to).