DVDVR Message Board

In Memorium 2016

odessasteps

56 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Well shit, google his name and see what all the news stories say.  They are identically wrong and kind of outrageously so:

"Michael Massee, the actor who accidentally shot Brandon Lee, passes."

He didn't accidentally shoot Brandon Lee.  He was faultless.  Someone else prepared a gun wrong and he did exactly what he was supposed to do, point and shoot a prop gun.  Labelling him the guy who "accidentally killed someone" is kind of inexcusable. 

But that's what the guy lived with because people are fucking stupid.

Yeah, that infuriated me a lot.  I'm not familiar with his work, but if that's all they say about him then they can fuck off for all I care.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I am the reaper. Sorry. 

John Zacherle, AKA Zacherley the Cool Ghoul, has passed away at 98. RIP

Reading up on him the most amazing thing is that as late as a couple of years ago he had a rent-controlled apartment on W. 96th.

$285/month.

57 minutes ago, piranesi said:

Reading up on him the most amazing thing is that as late as a couple of years ago he had a rent-controlled apartment on W. 96th.

$285/month.

My grandmother has a 100-year-old cousin paying about that for a rent-controlled in Brooklyn she's lived in since the Korean War. It must drive the property owners crazy. 

I have a friend that lives in a co-op in Rockayway Beach that his parents had since the Vietnam War. 

He took over the lease last year when his mother passed away and now pays $300 / month..... and he's a NYC transit guy that drives the Rockaway Shuttle so the condo is literally a five minute walk from where he works.

Lucky bastard.

• Like 1

I loved Robert Vaughn.  One of those rare charactor actors like Christopher Lee or Donald Pleasance where they would take any job for money and would turn in a competent, quality performance no matter how bad the script.  

You want him to play the villian in BASEketball?  No problem, so long as the price is right.

You want him to fly over to England and spend two weeks going on morning chat shows to promote the release of The Man from U.N.C.L.E on Region 2 DVD?  If the plane tickets are first class and the hotel accomodations are nice, you've got a deal.

You want him to advertise your ambulance chasing law firm?  Just make sure the check clears.

Rest in peace to an actor who truly embodied the term "professional."

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Awaiting @piranesi to break down Vaughn's columbo appearances. 

Actually I was going to praise him for his amazing turn as General Hunt Stockwell in THE A-TEAM.

Which, if you haven't every actually watched it, or haven't watched it since you were a kid...holy shit does it hold up.  I never appreciated the sheer exuberant gratuitous destructiveness of that show on every level when I was a kid.  It is astounding to watch now and think that they couldn't get through a single week without driving a truck through a boat or landing a plane on a truck that was about to go through a boat. It's just uzis constantly coming out of everybody's pockets. And it never lets up. 

The show is on FETV every night at 10:00 est if you get that and man is it appointment t.v.

But yeah, he was in the Ben Gazzara directed Columbo where he's on the cruise ship and the weird one that ended up being an actual "whodunit" when the obvious suspect (Vaughn) turns up dead half way through.

• Like 2

Baseketball for me. And he was really great in that. Of course, watching the movies that made him famous in my 20s gave me a much better appreciation for him, but he'll always be the guy getting dumbfounded by Matt Stone's character in his lobby first and foremost. Kind of sad.