DVDVR Message Board

In Memorium 2016

odessasteps

Look upon his volcano set from You Only Live Twice, ye mighty, and despair!

460741976358c5296afaec3f2d86c68c43a1275b

That ain't a model. Those people aren't dolls. There's no compositing, no matte painting, and of course no CGI. That entire thing is real.

• Like 1

Look upon his volcano set from You Only Live Twice, ye mighty, and despair!460741976358c5296afaec3f2d86c68c43a1275bThat ain't a model. Those people aren't dolls. There's no compositing, no matte painting, and of course no CGI. That entire thing is real.

it all comes down to that volcano lair, so big your mind simply shuts down trying to imagine what kind of soundstage could accommodate it; so big you convince yourself that it's a model, and those are model monorails and model workers and model cranes. But oh, no, those people are moving like people, like actual human beings in a giant motherfucking volcano lair set, and you're right back to being mind-boggled. And then you start to notice the touches: the sleek, menacing stairs, and the viciously shiny monorail, and the rough edges of the volcano wall, and it starts to become obvious that this isn't just a big set, it's a detailed set too. It was designed and built, and it physically existed And that, boys and girls, is why I will never love CGI.

- Tim Brayton
  • Like 2

Moonie, who played Elle Woods' dog Bruiser in Legally Blonde, died at the age of 18.

18 is a fucking amazing run for a dog (though tiny dogs do have a longer lifespan generally)

Moonie, who played Elle Woods' dog Bruiser in Legally Blonde, died at the age of 18.

18 is a fucking amazing run for a dog (though tiny dogs do have a longer lifespan generally)

I hope you don't believe that seven years shit.  Moonie would've been roughly 88, which yes, is old but nothing out of the ordinary.

I hope you don't believe that seven years shit.  Moonie would've been roughly 88, which yes, is old but nothing out of the ordinary.

Average life expectancy for most dogs is roughly 13 years, so Moonie was way above average.

Average life expectancy for most dogs is roughly 13 years, so Moonie was way above average.

My Golden Retriever made it to 16, which is ancient for that breed. I credit the prescription dog food she was one for half her life. . . .

I had a Paul Daniels magic set when I was a kid. I completely forgot about that until today. I mastered none of it obviously, but I really liked him as a performer. Seeing him in later life with the Louis Theroux interview and other places, he seemed like a grumpy old git.

Larry Drake has passed away at age 66.

Emmy Award-winner for playing disabled law clerk Benny on "L.A. Law".

Also a horror movie staple playing baddies in "Darkman" and "Dr. Giggles" ...

http://www.people.com/article/larry-drake-dead-at-66

See Dark Night of the Scarecrow for some of his best work--and likely the role that led to him becoming Benny on L.A. Law.  A very good movie.

Ken Howard has died at 71.

TV's "The White Shadow" (loved watching reruns of that show in the 80s), the Kabletown head on "30 Rock" and former SAG/AFTRA president, among other roles.

Another role I remember him for was as Thomas Jefferson in the stage and film versions of "1776". That movie was required viewing for my middle and high school history classes. Watching "The White Shadow" and the voice of KITT singing showtunes was a bit of a shock to the system at first viewing :)

8 minutes ago, colonial said:

Ken Howard has died at 71.

TV's "The White Shadow" (loved watching reruns of that show in the 80s), the Kabletown head on "30 Rock" and former SAG/AFTRA president, among other roles.

Awaiting the simmons podcast commenorating his passing