DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R2D: EMMA vs. MARTY SCURLL

RIPPA

MM16: 2nd RDD - EMMA vs. MARTY SCURLL  

90 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I like the idea of what Scrull has become. A little goes a long way, though, and I have a hard time not seeing the strings, generally. That said, I'm still often entertained when I watch his stuff in small doses.  I think he'll very likely get there. I think Emma is already there and got there very quickly and very effectively.

I need to watch a couple more Scrull matches.

Marty's had some good matches, of course. But Emma's made the most of what she was given this year, and her in ring and character development made this an easy vote for me.

I like Scurll, but the Ospreay match everyone raves about is kinda overrated and Emma killing jobbers is kinda underrated, so...March Madness!

I can't get over how great Emma is in little things in the NXT I'm watching right now. I loved how she attacked Asuka in the battle royal to start things, and all of her interaction with Alexa when they were tagging the next week was great and nuanced, multi-dimensional in a way that all wrestling should be that almost none ever is. 

• Like 2

I can't get over how great Emma is in little things in the NXT I'm watching right now. I loved how she attacked Asuka in the battle royal to start things, and all of her interaction with Alexa when they were tagging the next week was great and nuanced, multi-dimensional in a way that all wrestling should be that almost none ever is. 

One of my favorite NXT moments of the year came when Emma and Dana were trying to torment Asuka. The week before, they did some sort of evil conniving interview where they all but announced to the world they were attacking Asuka the next week. Sure enough, Dana distracts Asuka and Emma sneaks out of nowhere to do the attack in a black hoodie and her sunglasses. I just love that thought process, like having some sort of disguise is going to help you get the jump on someone in a lit TV studio/arena. It was a really great touch and fits perfectly with her persona.

If Emma weren't so great as a heel, I wonder a little if Asuka would be as over as she is. Not many people are willing to play like they're TERRIFIED of someone. Chickenshit heel usually means taking the easy way out. Emma played it as being terrified but stuck in that situation and hating Asuka all the more because she hates feeling terrified was this really cool, nuanced thing that made Asuka as much as her own strengths, I feel.

Heel Emma really deserves a run with the NXT Women's title because she's the third best woman there, eclipsed only by Bayley and Asuka.

I thought she was excellent in the Carmella singles match too. One of my favorite thing about NXT is how it builds and protects people. Carmella won that match on a backslide. Emma portrayed viciousness throughout. Carmella portrayed toughness. She came out looking better, shined up for her title match. Emma didn't come out looking any worse. That takes both booking and heel wrestling talent.

• Like 1