79 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

• KING CUERNO (El Hijo del Fantasma)
    • LUCHA DRAGONS (Sin Cara & Kalisto)

KING CUERNO

vs. Prince Puma

w/ Texano Jr vs. Murder & Psycho Clown

LUCHA DRAGONS

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3i9je8_lucha-dragons-vs-usos-vs-new-day-ladder-match_sport

vs. New Day vs. Usos* (Ladder Match)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3ksf7s_lucha-completa-the-lucha-dragons-vs-cesaro-tyson-kidd-lumberjack-match-smackdown-%E1%B4%B4_fun

vs. Cesaro & Kidd (Lumberjack)

* - Indicates 1001 Match Selection

This is probably the single biggest booking-related battle of this round.

King Cuerno is going to win, and he SHOULD win...but at the same time, this battle is one where it is truly fair to say "Swap Kalisto and King Cuerno's promotions on March 1 of last year, with the same booking for each, and Kalisto wins this in a romp."

In ring, both guys were good, but King Cuerno's booking took him over the top.

King Cuerno actually has a gimmick outside of being the promotion's diversity quota mark. 

There is nothing more pretentious than two Luchadores pointing their fingers in the sky doing a little jig mantra-ing "Lucha" over and over again. Kalisto deserve better and Hunico/Sin Cara/whatever obviously hates it or something.

Curse them for doing something the crowd reacts too!

My beef is that WWE does not give them really much anything other than "hey, these guys do Lucha Libre." It is almost as insulting as the Matadores or whatever. They do this shit a lot. Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrerro did not have to be the physical embodiment of Lucha Libre although to be fair, Eddie was a shit ton of styles and could have probably wrestled any style of a match. They had characters beyond that. And WWE don't treat Lucha Libre as anything but a gimmick when it is not a gimmick. It is a style and culture. It is as ridiculous as WWE taking an Australian guy, giving him a boomerang,a kid's toy, and reducing an entire continent to stupid stereotypes and archetypes.  It is as annoying as what they are doing with Rusev because Bulgaria is practically Russia apparently. I half expect them to have Nakamura and Itami say Puro with every kick or something as stupid as that.

King Cuerno being a luchador is the least interesting thing about him mainly because he is on a roster where half the damn roster is and being a Luchador is presented as a honor and tradition. There is an importance to the mask and to tradition and that underlies something beyond just chanting "Lucha."  His wrestling style is atypical from watch you expect from Lucha Libre or at least the general perception of it. His gimmick is that he is a big game hunter and actually wrestles that way. I thought the coolest thing that he did was something tromaker(spelling?) described when a dude yelled that out that they were trying to put him through a table again and he turned to the guy and yelled "I know."

• Like 1

King Cuerno actually has a gimmick outside of being the promotion's diversity quota mark. 

There is nothing more pretentious than two Luchadores pointing their fingers in the sky doing a little jig mantra-ing "Lucha" over and over again. Kalisto deserve better and Hunico/Sin Cara/whatever obviously hates it or something.

That was Kalisto's chant long before he was in WWE

• Like 2

Someone once made a wonderful post here about the cultural appropriation inherent in the Lucha Dragons gimmick, and ever since then, I really hate that "Lucha! Lucha!" chant and basically everything about the gimmick, which I guess is "little Mexican dudes in masks that do flips!" Which, I mean, fuck, they can have characters beyond those basic facts, WWE. 

I have not seen a single match of his as Cuerno, but I voted for him on two factors:

1) I thought Hijo Del Fantasma was good every time I saw him in CMLL and always thought he was a guy on the cusp of something great (which it sounds like LU is that something great for him, so, neat)
2) For some lucha dragons, they don't have a lot of dragony things about them, and not NEARLY enough pictures of them in suits to really be lucha. And even if they did, Cuerno's suit/hat is amaaaaaazing so it'd be very hard to beat.