DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R2B: RUSH vs. WILL OSPREAY

MM16: 2nd RDB - RUSH vs. WILL OSPREAY  

78 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

Much harder to find a great wrestler that does what Rush does than a great wrestler that does what Ospreay does these days and Rush is both much closer to being the best at what he does and a much better overall worker than Ospreay. And I will take Rush's Corner Dropkick over any flip highspot Ospreay can do.

I think Rush is a great performer and a fine wrestler. I actively seek out Rush matches. 

Will Ospreay probably has some better matches than Rush in the time period, but if I never saw another Will Ospreay match my life wouldn't really be any different or worse for it. 

I've seen Ospreay loads of times, live and on tape, and every time I think "He's fine, but he's not as good as Mark Andrews"

Rush is better than Mark Andrews

In what way is Mark Andrews better than Ospreay? I find him a bit more charismatic and more himself than Ospreay, but in the ring I'm not seeing that.

Not sure if this is the same match as the one already posted, but let me tell you why I hate this match. The first three quarters of it is solid, with Scurll being a dick and Ospreay being this cocky gymnast type. But then it just devolves into this moves fest where absolutely nothing matters and is done to look cool. It's infuriating. If it was just a spotfest, whatever, but the fact that they chose to ruin what was shaping up to be a pretty good match with this bullshit infuriates me even more. Spotfests are what they are, but dont ruin solid character work and real dickish hate with that garbage. It's like when a good actor slums it in crap movies and puts in half effort. It's even worse than just someone like Kevin James sucking, because you know, he's supposed to suck. I like Scurll mostly, and am less familiar with Ospreay so I'm punishing him for this monstrosity.

I've seen Ospreay loads of times, live and on tape, and every time I think "He's fine, but he's not as good as Mark Andrews"

Rush is better than Mark Andrews

In what way is Mark Andrews better than Ospreay? I find him a bit more charismatic and more himself than Ospreay, but in the ring I'm not seeing that.

I find that, whilst Ospreay is more spectacular in terms of the things he can do (though Andrews is no slouch there either), Andrews is better in terms of why he'll do things. Ospreay has always felt to me like the definition of "wrestling gymnast", where he just runs through his stuff, but there's no feeling there. Andrews is a guy who'll mix up stuff depending on who he's facing.

I agree Andrews is more charismatic, and crucially he's more likable. Last year I saw a crowd turn on Ospreay in a match against heel Martin Kirby because there's nothing with Ospreay you can really cling onto. Andrews is also a far superior seller than Ospreay, and I think his inate likability plays into that. I've seen him take batterings from ZSJ and Mark Haskins where you really believe his fight from beneath, and he executes his comebacks perfectly. I've never seen him run through long displays of utter no-selling like Ospreay has. For what it's worth, Andrews is also slightly better on the mat, though it's not really what either are known for.

Yeah, I think that's fair. Osprey has a tendency to go full on robotic when he's sprinting through his comeback. No facial expression, emotion, nothing. I think/hope working New Japan will change that because a lot of guys there are great at emoting.

There's nothing wrong with being a wrestling gymnast spot monkey. With any luck and in due time, he may be as good as Jack Evans is right now.

However, Rush is Rush. He'll dropkick you in the fucking face, laugh his ass off, and not give a fuck what anyone thinks about it, PERRO!