[MM16] R2B: VIRUS vs. ZACK SABRE JR

MM16: 2nd RDB - VIRUS vs. ZACK SABRE JR  

83 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

VIRUS

vs. Stigma

Blue Panther, Blue Panther Jr., The Panther vs Puma, Tiger, Virus

ZACK SABRE JR

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3s3edd_pr0gre-24-zack-sabre-jr-vs-tommaso-ciampa_tv

vs. Tommaso Ciampa

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3dumsp_taiji-ishimori-vs-zack-sabre-jr-noah_sport

vs. Taiji Ishimori

These are two guys that had me actively seek out the most work from them over the time period.  Fucking love them both, but am going with VEE-ROOS because I think Sabre Jr. drags his matches on too long sometimes (like BOLA vs Marty)

In a vacuum, that Scurll match was super enjoyable. But sitting in that sauna of nerd stank for 4 or 5 hours with this match going on forever, I could see how that would be super fucking annoying. 

• Like 1

Virus is one of the best wrestlers in the world. He's someone who can do a Maestro match, be the glue in a match with a bunch of relatively green wrestlers, can work a title match, can work an exciting lightning match. 

The variety is amazing. I said that Hechicero was more multifaceted because he had some tecnico work and some more garbage-y stuff in the time period, but Virus is likely better. He's more fundamentally sound. He's more focused. 

There's not a lot more to say about his case than that. He's just that good and he's someone who I would watch paired up against anyone. I don't think there's a wrestler in 2016 that I would drop everything to watch a singles match of before Virus.

• Like 1

Virus is the wrestler that ZSJ wishes he could be as technically interesting as. 

I like Sabre loads, and his high end stuff this year has been great, but there are still points where he is more of a tribute act than a wrestler. Virus makes everything watchable. This vote isn't super close in my mind. 

I also hated that match, but I think the reason it happened was Zack taking the bullet in order to give Hero and Bailey that much more of a rest for the finals.

I hated that match because that's time he and Pentagon Jr could have had to really tear the fucking house down.

I went with the Pequeño Maestro.

Virus worked Liger in 2016. The combined age in that match was like 210. And they actually did a spot in the match where a punch was cocked, they realized it was a maestro match and that stuff was frowned upon, and then went into some slick mat work for the finish.

ZSJ didn't have a spot of substance the entire year that was like that spot. Virus, baby. VIRUS.

I find Virus to be overrated as this great mat technician.  When I look at him, I see a guy putting on holds with little or no struggle and the general transitional weaknesses you see in CMLL style work.  He honestly doesn't do a lot for me and I don't see this grand master everyone else is seeing.  Zack is not my particular cup of tea but at least he can surprise me now and again with something slick and sudden.  Virus doesn't seem to have that gear.

• Like 1

I find Virus to be overrated as this great mat technician.  When I look at him, I see a guy putting on holds with little or no struggle and the general transitional weaknesses you see in CMLL style work.  He honestly doesn't do a lot for me and I don't see this grand master everyone else is seeing.  Zack is not my particular cup of tea but at least he can surprise me now and again with something slick and sudden.  Virus doesn't seem to have that gear.

I agree but won't go quite so far with the Virus criticism. He definitely can look like he's going through the motions and lacks a lot of emotion in his matches. He is great technically though. The Cerebro match on Cubs' 2015 MOTYC list is a great example of the strengths and weaknesses of Virus.

One strike against Zack is his weak-ass take on the Diamond Cutter gesture at BOLA. That's now a running joke with me and my friend. Using just his index fingers and thumb, get tha fuck outta here!