DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R2A: SPEEDBALL BAILEY vs. AJ STYLES

MM16: 2nd RDA - SPEEDBALL BAILEY vs. AJ STYLES  

96 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

There is a chance that Matt Novak match isn't from the time period - it was posted in Sept but there is no indication of the actual match date.

This is really unscientific but I am pretty sure that Styles worked the most people in the field during the time period

Just for the record since it was bugging me (and I feel like it is the 2nd time I did this list)

Members of the 2016 field AJ Styles worked (in time period) - in order of appearance

Mark Briscoe

John Morrison

Okada

Ibushi

Naito

Jimmy Rave

Roderick Strong

Jay Briscoe

Marty Scurll

Kyle O'Reilly

Shibata

Tanahashi

Elgin

Aero Star

Drago

Fenix

Will Ospreay

Matt Sydal

Nakamura

Rey Misterio Jr

Zack Sabre Jr

Chris Jericho

The Miz

New Day

Tyler Breeze

Teamed with

Young Bucks

Kenny Omega

Samoa Joe

So 27 entries interacted with (a little over 28% of the field)

I am mad. So that shooting star press/moonsault double knee strike that Bailey does is the very move that I always wanted to to be a finisher. Not from the top or middle rope. But on the ground like I saw from Jet Li's Unleashed, Tony Jaa's Ong Bak and Protector, or Def Jam's Fight For New York Blazing Move Good To Go. That was the move that I thought was awesome because it was viscous, cool, and hurty. But this pasty motherfucker does it and it looks lame because he does not get the elevation and it is coming from the most banal looking asshole on the planet. He looks like a cross between Michael Cera and Evan Goldberg. And he looks so damn happy all the time which is his gimmick. He is pretty much Tae Kwon Do kid whose mom keeps dropping him off at wrestling venues. But that move is supposed to be dirty. Like ,"Oh shit, I got caught sleeping with your wife, but fuck it, I am going to keep going while staring deep in your eyes" kind of shit. You just knee'd a dude in the chest and fucked up their rib cage while looking swag as fuck. This asshole just pulls it off with little emotion or sometimes is smiling like, "I am going to win the talent show, mom, look at me" look on his face like he just got cotton candy at the festival. It is pretty much a throwaway move when it should be a finisher. I like Mike Bailey and I dig his wrestling, but I don't know. I can't get past that he made the finisher of my dreams look lame as shit.

I wanted this.

tumblr_lnykal12Ev1qdenl2o1_500.gif

I get this.

tumblr_nw35dxxeIt1sbzhteo1_500.gif

Sometimes the dude gets boner before he performs the move.

NSFW

tumblr_o2jsn9tu4T1qa934fo1_1280.png

He ruined it for me. So am I going to vote against Speedball for this? Yes. And also I think AJ had a better year with his match with Nakamura and the G1 series as well. He is the only guy that I've seen get anything good with Okada that I would want to watch and his match with Tanahashi was great.

• Like 2

@Kyuubi: Serious question. The first time you saw Return of the Jedi, did you think Luke should've joined up with Vader and rule the galaxy? I mean that's some Palpatine level hate flowing through.

• Like 1

@Kyuubi: Serious question. The first time you saw Return of the Jedi, did you think Luke should've joined up with Vader and rule the galaxy? I mean that's some Palpatine level hate flowing through.

No, but I did watch Dark Knight and walk away with the idea that the Joker was the good guy and the establishment of Gotham is predicated on criminalizing poor and/or mentally unhealthy people that it's elitist society created and Joker was merely a revolutionary killing the criminal elite who created the environment that the fifty rich thrive off of in Gotham and pointing out the corruption in the establishment that Batman so desperately protected. If you look at the film, he does not kill people who aren't in the wrong, and creates scenarios that allows animals to be animals. It wasn't his order to have Harvey kidnapped with Dawes. It was the Falcones and he just knew about it. And even when it was all said and done, Batman and Gordon go on and create a police state by means of lies about a man who was desperate and in mourning and manipulated his death(which they lied about as well) to enact legislation in his name. This only creates the likes of Bane. The Dark Knight Returns is the comeuppance. I fail to see how Batman was the good guy.

Back to Mike Bailey, I have to ask you all to think of that time when you were kids and were imagining becoming wrestlers. You had a corny gimmick and childish feuds and rivals and shit and everything. But you had a finisher that you thought was unique and special. It was yours and it meant everything to you because that was the money shot. That was the move that would wow the audience. It was the people's elbow and stone cold stunner wrapped in one to you.

Mine was that move! I always wanted to be the angry black man heel that would fuck up people while being stylish as shit. Like Rodney Mack's beat a white boy up challenge but better. It was supposed to be like if Apollo Creed joined the Black Panthers with the intimidation of D-Bo from Friday. That was my "Die, YOU FUCK!" move that was encapsulated in my sheer resentment for my opponent and the audience while looking damn impressive doing it. I wanted to take my opponents breath away as well as the audience. "You thought you was going to get a head of steam and run around and shit? BAM! Fuck you thought this was, son?" And if they really pissed me off, Tree of Woe time with double birds in their face just before I fuck up their life with these two knees in their face. I know what you are thinking. I never became a wrestler so I can't claim ownership of the move or how it is used. But it was to me MY MOVE that I can do better than Bailey. It is like if Evan Bourne/Matt Sydal did the Package Piledriver and instead of pinning the dude, he'd pick up back with that cheery fucking smile looking all dainty and shit.

Look I had a lot of resentment towards how the Nation of Domination were handled and let's leave it at that.

• Like 7

Awesome post, but I think the fact that landing the move gets Bailey hard makes it much better. Plus, the top rope version is his finisher. If/when he signs with NXT, if they let him do it, the standing version would absolutely be his finisher. It looks like it could kill a dude. BUT, it's PWG and the land of overkill, so he does it off the top rope.

Then gets a tight little boner:

Plus I luuuuuuu da little innocent Taekwondo Kid gimmick and vanilla little boy look. He's so earnest and there's no wink to the audience.