DVDVR Message Board

MLB 2013: September Thread Where Pittsburgh Tries to Win it All

Craig H

I don't think a guy like Esix Snead is a great comp for Hamilton, because Snead *never* hit and was consistently older than Hamilton at the same levels. If he can at least play an above average center field (which, after the position switch last fall, is still a question) with his speed, dude can at least be a regular. Even something like his line in 2011 at Dayton (.278/.340/.360) would be enough. Shit, look at Andrelton Simmons. Dude is hitting .249/.295/.380 and is a four win player because of just how amazing he is on defense. When you've got a plus-plus skill like Hamilton or Simmons, you don't just punt.

He had 75 in 123 games of AAA this year before his call-up.

During which he hit .256/.303/.343, lest anyone think this person is going to make a significant difference.

It will be interesting.  As a 21-year-old last season, he hit ..311/.410/.420 in A/AA.  Was going from A to AAA in a year a factor?  What about switching positions from SS to OF?  His walks plummeted from 86 in 605 plate appearances to 38 in 547 PA.  Maybe he regains the ability to earn a walk with more playing time. 

The biggest part of that was the 392 PA in A-ball, hitting .323/.413/.439. That was in the California League, i.e. pretty much the most hitter-friendly circuit this side of slow pitch softball.

His walk rate didn't plummet when he moved up to AA.  I suspect his numbers would look better if he had spent a full year in AA and hadn't been learning a new position.  I'm not saying he's a future superstar, but I think there is some reason for optimism that he underperformed in AAA.

He had 75 in 123 games of AAA this year before his call-up.

During which he hit .256/.303/.343, lest anyone think this person is going to make a significant difference.

Look out for firecrackers, sounds like this guy is making a comeback:

Posted Image

A fallen hero.

You can see what happens when one leaves the embrace of The Guardians.

Sadly, the Pirates have been a break-even team for all of one day and already their misguided minions are attempting to plant the seeds of discord among the followers of truth and order right here in this thread.

This is the sort of sedition leads to Kerouac readings, and eventually to "key parties"...in Pittsburgh.  Think about that.

DON'T LOOK!!!! CLOSE YOUR EYES!!!!!! WE'LL MAKE IT THROUGH!!!!

Posted Image

Shit...If you opened this, you're already fucked. 

This was a test of your obedience

Ahhhhhh....That's the good stuff....

Y'see, Hoffman? THAT'S how you do it! :P

I'm not going to pile on poor Hoffman (although gimmick infringement is pretty lame) but if he's going to be piranesi-lite, at least take the time to find some some thematically appropriate pictures to include with your posts. It's that extra effort that makes all the difference.

Anyway, Liriano having a bad night in Millee-waukay so I have to root for the Reds to maintain the status quo. Also, Cutch hits a homer so the Brewers pitcher responds by hitting Justin Morneau, nearly setting off a brawl. Nice to see Morny showing such fire. And nice to know that despite not having Braun and being 30 games out, the Brewers will continue to be assholes.

If an ESPN story is true, and the sox hit 3,168 feet of home runs, that means the AVERAGE HR distance of the 8 was 396 feet. (and considering that one of them was an excuse me/hit the ledge at the top of the Monster homer, that must mean the rest of them were absolute BOMBS

Well, I feel good about the Sox chances, but in ten games, we'll know if it's over or not (a four game weekend set with the Yanks, who are hot, 3 with Tampa, who's clinging in the Division race, and three more with the Yanks, who may or may not be in the thick of the WC/Divisional race at that point)

If an ESPN story is true, and the sox hit 3,168 feet of home runs, that means the AVERAGE HR distance of the 8 was 396 feet. (and considering that one of them was an excuse me/hit the ledge at the top of the Monster homer, that must mean the rest of them were absolute BOMBS

I did the math. It's correct. The longest was "just" 420, though.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYY

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HHHHHHHHHHHHH

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it wrong that I heard this as "Won't Get Fooled Again"?

Looks like Dusty found a little homicide in his suicide squeeze....self homicide...

Posted Image

YYYYYYYYYYYYYY

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HHHHHHHHHHHHH

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, yeah, the Red Sox did everything they could to hand that game to the Yankees, but they just wouldn't take it.

23 days left of the regular season, and lots of exciting storylines still going. The Pirates/Cardinals NL Central pennant chase (even though it's obvious both teams are making the playoffs, winning the division does make a difference now with the way the playoffs are structured), as well as the division race between Texas and Oakland (ditto). Six teams are still in the mix for the AL Wild Card spots, including, of all teams, Kansas City. The NL Wild Card race is not so exciting, as Arizona and Washington are each 7 games out from Cincinnati's #2 WC spot, so it'd take a pretty bad collapse by either the Reds or the Cards/Pirates for either team to get in.

I hate Bud Selig as much as the next guy, but adding the second Wild Card spot has made the last 2-3 of the season more exciting than they had been in recent memory. So at least there's 1 thing he's done that's somewhat positive.

If we only had one WC, the AL race would be worse, as we'd be entering "slipping out of reach" territory for all the East/Central teams behind the division leaders, but the NL race would be much better as the NL Central would be 3 teams in a death-spiral only two of them can climb out of.

If we only had one WC, the AL race would be worse, as we'd be entering "slipping out of reach" territory for all the East/Central teams behind the division leaders, but the NL race would be much better as the NL Central would be 3 teams in a death-spiral only two of them can climb out of.

It's still sort of that in the N.L., if you think of the Pitt./Cin. one-game playoff as a last-game-of-the-season-tied-fight-to-the-death thing instead of as a "playoff."