DVDVR Message Board

[MM16] R2A: BIFF BUSICK vs. TOMOAKI HONMA

MM16: 2nd RDA - BIFF BUSICK vs. TOMOAKI HONMA  

88 members have voted

1. 1. CHOOSE ONE

I refuse to vote against Biff. He's one of the guys that pulled me back into wrestling a few months ago after I realized how little I'd been watching. He so obviously puts a ton of effort into his stuff and is at least interesting in every match.

I have no beef with the Vampire Chicken, though.

I meant to vote for Busick but hit the wrong button.  Fuck, I hope this isn't close.

I am unsure who to vote for this round. How about you explain to me why your candidate should be voted for in order to offset your errant vote?

I voted for Honma because I don't like grapplefuck much (I mean. I love RINGS. I don't care for Chris Hero and Drew Gulak rolling around). For Busick the influences are just too obvious for me and his work doesn't really transcend that.

I'm the opposite.  I like that style and Busick really comes across like he's trying to win a fight.   "Guy who does 20 different styles of headbutt and never wins" is a fun opening match gimmick that, I guess, the kids enjoy ironically, but it's not for me.

Biff's PWG matches are what puts him over for me.  He wrestled like a complete lunatic in those and while I do enjoy the Honma matches I've seen - the whole headbutt thing starts getting pretty silly when you watch a few matches of his in a row.

Oh PWG is completely silly after 1 match, but I know that's what I'm getting into when I watch it.  I know it's gonna be an even more dialed up version of Busick than elsewhere (and even with that, he doesn't fall into it as badly as most guys.)

In the context of a match being presented as serious athletic competition (and this may just be my own preconceived notion of what I think NJPW to be) - a grazing flying headbutt that's sold as death I just don't buy.

Also ... I hate this tournament making me nitpick against things I actually enjoy watching.

In the context of a match being presented as serious athletic competition (and this may just be my own preconceived notion of what I think NJPW to be) - a grazing flying headbutt that's sold as death I just don't buy.

Do you even have any idea what you're talking about.

Does anybody.

I don't know what I'm talking about half the time.

I guess if you consider New Japan this super serious promotion (which it isn't) you could look at Honma as a misfit who doesn't belong with his wacky headbutting action.  I think New Japan has more variety than that but it is super structured so the variety doesn't cross itself in the promotion.  The super serious guys don't tend to work the juniors who don't tend to work the main eventers who don't tend to work... etc. etc.  It's really the outstanding weakness of New Japan is that everything has stagnated and nothing seems to change and there is no card mobility.

Busick 46

Honma 41

Honma goes from beating Lesnar last year to not winning a match this year.

See what happens when you win kids